X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid/fuego R1005 4 1/2" angle grinder

I just received this tool a few days ago. I have only used it about 1/2 hour but I am
    excited about this new style grinder!

OK, a little information about the tool so you don't have to hunt it down....

The tool weighs 4.7lbs
    It runs around 10,000rpm
    It draws around 7 amps under load
    It uses easily accessible type 27 4 1/2" depressed grinding wheels
    The metal blade guard is adjustable!!!! this is very clever! and useful.
    You can register this for the LSA program..the paperwork comes with the tool.

The "slim-grip" design is very comfortable and you will discover
    excellent control when the grinder is running.
    The power cord is long and a very good length....but as with the other Ridgid
    power tools the power cord is stiff..too bad they can't find a better more flexible
    insulated power cord.

The grinder has plenty of power and does not bog down when you apply too
    much pressure when grinding metal. You will eventually become comfortable with
    letting the tool's own weight do the work. With the slim-grip you don't have to
    wrestle with a twisting torque when using one hand.

The tool comes with a soft contractor bag but they have provided room for the
    spanner wrench and extra grinding wheels, even if you can't neatly coil the power cord
    you'll have plenty of room.

If we had a 1-10 scale to rate this I'd give it 9 only because of the power cord insulation being
    too stiff. I have the Ridgid 5" orbital sander and the 18" belt sander..they have the same type power cord.
    I have had these tools now almost over 1 year and the power cords are always stiff.

For comparison I have an older made in USA Porter Cable 5" orbit sander. Its power cord is
    a lot more flexible..I can't tell you the type insulation but it's shiny not flat like the Ridgid tools
    use. I'll let the design folks determine SJO, or SJ style insulated power cord etc.

Cactus Man

Re: Ridgid/fuego R1005 4 1/2" angle grinder

I don't own one but I have looked at it. I have the old ridgid 4.5" grinder anyway. The only thing I don't like about the new slim grip is the "safety" location, not comfortable at all if you ask me. Only part I would change.

PS, on the cords, to be honest, they do loosen up a little with use, but they last. Out of all my tools, the ridgid cords have lasted the longest. Save the circular saw cords, but that wasn't their fault... LOL. But, I wish they would use the power tool cord on the battery chargers... those cords SUCK! Especially the 24v charger cord, they seriously last 6 months tops and they crack off right at the unit.

Comment

This is an update to my original review:

I had an opportunity to use it "for real" today.

The only negative I have is the unit gets warm/hot by the hand grip if you run it a long time.
      Well, it's a small motor and your hand is right by it so it's expected. The air vents tend to blow towards your hand.

The solution is quite simple ...wear a work glove then you can use it for 5-10 minutes and not
      feel like your hand is getting hot.

The grinder did perform very well and with it's size and adjustable guard I was able
      to get into some pretty tight places. After a 5 plus minute run I did not experience
      any hand fatigue as I experience when using a regular design 4 1/2" grinder.

Although I have complained about the power cord being stiff, it was never in the way
      and allowed me to move around my work easily.

This grinder is still a keeper.

Cactus Man

Comment

Quick question. I just bought this angle grinder at HD. Online under the specs it indicates that this is a variable speed angle grinder and that the speed is controlled at the trigger switch. Does anyone know what the variable speeds are and how they are controlled by the trigger switch? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X