X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Got Myself a Fein MM.

Last year, I had my very fist experience with a Multi Tool, and had bought the single-speed Rockwell Sonic Crafter. Though I was impressed with the overall fit & feel of the unit, I wasn't pleased with the locking mechanism. I tried to get along with it, and did use it on a quick project. However, I could not rise above my dislike for the blade securing setup, and wound up returning it for a refund. I had been looking (and salivating) over the Fein MultiMaster line (Q-series), and knew that this was where I wanted to go. But their prices were insanely high.

(Fast-forward to the present).

Just today, I thought to make a trip down to one of our local Sears store outlets. I had read that these units could be gotten through Sears, but had figured it to be a 'mail ordered' item. But lo and behold (upon arriving there), I saw a few of these units sitting so handsomely, and proudly on the shelf. And (yes) the prices are STILL obscene, despite the fact of Fein's patent loss.

However, I happened to see box that had a reduced price on it. This price was $209, for the Q-Select (down from over $300). Someone had purchased it, and brought it back (devoid of the narrowest wood cutting blade attachment) - and I bought it.

Now, I know that I probably could have gotten a new one for not TOO much more than this used one, but I kinda like buying from the local brick & mortar places. In the event of something not being right, I don't have to worry about shipping procedures/times.

This is one seriously made product, and you know this when you first hold it in your hand. Even before powering it on you know that you have something of great quality, power & durability resting within your grip. Powering it on, and you feel even more confident about those three categories listed above. The decibel rating was a bit higher than all the other units that I had read up on, but the resulting noise output is nowhere near as objectionable as I had thought it to be.

I've not had the opportunity, yet, to put the unit into full duty (just did a little bit of scraping with it), but I have NO doubts that this MM will serve as a VERY worthy addition to my tool arsenal.

My only issue, now, is with the cost of its blade attachments. They are (cost-wise) HORRENDOUSLY out of line. Why they are priced as they are is something that is totally beyond me. But, as I understand it, there are some aftermarket concerns that makes blades which will fit this unit - and are a bit cheaper. I will most certainly be checking into them.

But I feel happy with my purchase, and also feel that it will afford me a high level of expedience, with the forthcoming renovation efforts of our home.

I'd like to hear how others are faring with their MM's.
    ~Blessings~

Nathan

Re: Finally Got Myself a Fein MM.

Nathan,

Thanks for the post and congrats on getting the "good" buy on the Fein MM.

I have the Ridgid JobMax and thus far I've had no issues with it. I haven't purchased any of the other attachments (yet), but I love the way this tool cuts.

What I'd be interested in though, is exactly how much better the Fein is... if it really is any better at all? Certainly the cost difference would make me think that the Fein has got to be one super tool. But, I'd like to know if anyone has actually used both and what their opinion is on performance and function.

Thanks,

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 05-08-2011, 11:59 AM.

Comment

The jobmax is very good, but the original MM is in its own world. But then again we are comparing corded to cordless, and as I have found, the corded tool will almost always win.

I thought that the Rockwell blades fit, but I could be wrong.

And did fien actually lose the patent or did they open it to the public?

Comment

Patent expired

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
        And did fien actually lose the patent or did they open it to the public?

Comment

Well, it turns out that I was a bit wrong about my Fein MM. It isn't the 'Select' model that I have, but the 'Select Plus'. Not only that, but everything is in the package. I had relayed (not knowing any better, at the time) what the salesperson had told me, but have since seen (from looking at what comes with the different 'Q' models) that everything is complete.
          ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

Working...
          X