New style 18v hyper Lithium-Ion batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New style 18v hyper Lithium-Ion batteries

Anyone here using the new--next generation 18v hyper lithium-ion batteries?

AC840083----3ah
    AC840085----1.5ah

The 3ah battery requires about 50 minutes to charge per the specs
    and obviously the 1.5ah battery requires 25 minutes to charge per the specs

I'd be interested in comments comparing these to the original lithium-ion batteries
    pros and cons, run time, ...etc.

I am intrigued with the "fuel gauge"

Cactus Man

Re: New style 18v hyper Lithium-Ion batteries

WOW!
    Does this mean none of the new style batteries are in use yet?
    I know none are available in the Phoenix metro area, and
    E-Bay has not trumped Home Depot as they too have yet any posted.

Cactus Man

Comment

The 1.5 units are up in the overhead at my local store, were in a big clear plastic bag so I could see them, none on the shelf though, not even the older style... go figure.

Comment

impact has been at my stores for a month. Hammer drill and single batts earlier this week.

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
        The 1.5 units are up in the overhead at my local store, were in a big clear plastic bag so I could see them, none on the shelf though, not even the older style... go figure.

Comment

I just received two of the new style hyper-batteries.
          These are the R840083 18v 54watt/3amphour lithium-ion batteries.

I found them on E-bay at about $60.00 each
          Home Depot wanted $100.00 [ea] plus 9.5% sales tax.

Since the batteries are purchased separately and not in a kit
          they are only warrantied for 3 years and not eligible for the LSA program.

I did not open them!
          The 4 LED fuel level indicator is indeed slick and very helpful.
          You have to push a button to activate it and it indicates battery condition for around 3 seconds.

When on the battery charger the LEDs flash as the battery charges to its maximum.

Run time is fine, I really did not time it as run time is delineated by the tool used and the task
          at hand. I believe the older style 18V 3AH lithium-ion battery and this new one have just about the same run times
          as they are both rated the same.

The new style battery is about 2oz lighter and slightly less in height. The vent openings are placed differently and are
          larger on the new style battery. During the charging mode I did not notice and significant heat differences between the two batteries.

For the record this is the third generation of the 18V 3AH lithium-ion battery.
          I have all three models and have not had any challenges with any of them.

Cosmetically I really like the new style..it is pretty!

Cactus Man

Comment

I just bought an X4 drill that came with these batt's. I notice that the fuel gauge is quite accurate. This is in contrast to the Ridgid 24 volt kit that I had. Those batt's would always display 4 bars. With the 24 volters, 3 bars meant that it was about to die.

On a different note, I've noticed that the X4 li-ion batt's don't abruptly stop as frequently as the previous series (X3) li-ion batt's did.

Comment

What did the first generation look like, and why on earth would they want to make an improvement to the batteries to make them worse than the first generation ones?
              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I wish they would just put the tool line name (X3, X4) on the batteries.

The newest is the 18 volt li-ions that come with the X4 series tools. IMO these should be referred to as "X4" batteries.

Was the first generation the 24 volters? I kind of have a feeling they may have evolved into the 18 volt X4's.

Comment

Originally posted by A.T. View Post
                  I wish they would just put the tool line name (X3, X4) on the batteries.

The newest is the 18 volt li-ions that come with the X4 series tools. IMO these should be referred to as "X4" batteries.

Was the first generation the 24 volters? I kind of have a feeling they may have evolved into the 18 volt X4's.
                  X2 batteries were NICD.

I do vaugley recall seeing some odd looking LI-ION batteries on fleaybay that made me wonder what was up with them but lately all of the LI-ion batteries I see in auctions for DOA batteries all look the same.
                  We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                  X