X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returned my R4512 Table Saw to the store

I have waited for years to buy a better table saw ( I have a compact 10" with stand ). I have had my eye on the contractor saw with folding stand, but always thought it was a bit expensive and didn't think that it was stable enough. So I was super excited when I saw the R4512 at the local Home Depot. I thought the price & features + LSA were right ( home DIY use, intermittent cabinetry work ) and that it would allow me to work better, faster and safer. Plus allow me to grow my skills & projects.

After proper assembly with careful reading of instructions and some tweaking; it still would not work and cut just right. Cut a few pieces for two projects. Figured I'd tweak it later / call Ridgid / do something ... Time flies with other work. Talked to the local Ridgid service person ... who said I'd have to bring it in. It was time to register it ... but in the end decided it was not satisfactory and returned it.

The return was not easy. The staff, up to the GM, at Home Depot stated Home Depot company policy is 30 days on any and all power tools. They said it had to be within 30 days or sent in for warranty repair. I mentioned a couple times that it says 90 days for Ridgid tools. The GM finally accepted that, when I showed it to him on the boxes of two R4512s sitting on the rack.

There are plenty of things I liked about the saw. Size. Price. Felt solid. Sat stable on its feet. Included rolling base.

Issues:

- The front rail pieces are two different sizes aluminum. It cannot be corrected to flush. The sliding rail for the fence catches.

- Blade will not cut true 90 degrees in horizontal plane. The rear of blade is off to the right by a mm or so. You can hear and see the back of the blade recutting the piece, trimming another fraction off as the work piece exits to the back of the table saw.

- Vague vertical 90 stop. It does not stop consistently. Turning the adjustment builds up resistance, anyones guess where to stop, you can crank less or more, resulting in the blade being off several degrees to left or right of 90. Always have to check it out. I expect to have to measure any custom angle, but 90 should be 90.

- The back of the rip fence keeps wandering off several mm to the right. Adjusted & corrected. A number of cuts later it starts doing the same thing. Always have to visually line up and measure the rail front & back to correct it.

- (niggle) The stamped steel surfaces scratched lengthwise from cutting mdf / particle board veneer pieces?

It was quite frustrating, having to measure and adjust everything two-three times for alignment before being able to make the next cut ... and then two (mitered) pieces may still not line up good.

I talked about this with the local Ridgid repair tech / authorized service center (had to drop off my 45 day old compressor for a factory part leak in the hose reel mechanism) and he also thought the shaft or motor was slightly off.

Since I last cut something two-three weeks ago, the cast iron surface in center & various exterior assembly bolts had started to rust. I was all caught up & excited in getting the new saw, that it didn't occur to me this was going to be an issue, when a garage door is temporarily left open outside of heating season.

Plus, I would have to disassemble the unit and take it in for service for replacement parts and corrections. Noting that I can't lift the darn thing. That's major. Plus a two hour trip to the service center. Reassembly, correction / new parts, testing. Then another two hour trip for pickup. Disassembly for transportation. Get it out of the car. Reassembly.

This pretty means I would have already spend multiples of time assembling & disassembling the saw, plus driving it around town; than I have used it!

That's not worth it ... so I gave it back to Home Depot (who said they will have it serviced at Ridgid's expense).

The problem now is that I need another saw, and I don't know what saw I will get next. I know that, until I have a dedicated workshop space which I can close off and control the humidity in; it will probably be a jobsite model, something like a R4510. Though I don't like the fact that it costs as much as the R4512.

Re: Returned my R4512 Table Saw to the store

A couple really quick snap shots I took to illustrate & formulate my issues to HD

Front rail
    Click image for larger version

Name:	7d4925d542c3d4bc41ebc94adba081fd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	14642
    Blade more to the right

Name:	5994b6fd5636f618a389dc91d980cb54.jpg
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	14646
    Rip fence drift

Name:	928dbe108e5bd40d2bd94d6ec7b0a653.jpg
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	14641

Name:	04cd591680c9fbabf2578bd5790d11fd.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	14643

( it is refusing some pictures slightly > 100k)

surface rust

Name:	2f8fc3ad1abc3313bfa1d7e20adc64cb.jpg
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	14644
    During disassembly I saw the aluminum rail bent where there are stamped depressions in the stamped metal extension flaps

Name:	5977023538b73e27024b6bbd4d8106b7.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	14645Click image for larger version

Name:	d60e05bc8c7715b591492177bfe5928e.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	14647

Comment

Illustrating no 90deg stop.

Name:	c104f326c25f326ed237b165b50f2e46.jpg
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	14649

Bolt rust

Name:	2ce2ff3834b0ad958137e5eeba2094cd.jpg
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	14650

Two images I removed show up as attached thumbnails??
      Attached Files

Comment

yeah i dont know what going on with there quality control. i started out with the ryobi, took it back and got the ridgid ts2410, nice machine but saw that they had come out with the r4510, took the ts2410 back and got the r4510, well after trying to convince myself for a day that the r4510 was better i took it back and got my ts2410 back. both HD and ridgid were very good to me. anyway im happy now. but isnt your saw guaranteed for life.

Comment

Yes, it would be guaranteed for life.

That's what prompted me a few years ago to pick up Ridgid powertools instead of another tool brand; though learning about discontinuation of 24v tools & batteries is a big dent into my trust with them. Anyway.

The combination of issues & having to take it in for service - convinced me it is not worth it. I understand I am to blame for not putting some protectant on the top. But not for the rest of the issues. I've got too much going on, that I can't spend time on trying to true the saw myself with trial and error; plus take it in for parts & service. Yes, one should be happy there is a service center an hour away ... but it couldn't be any more out of my way, out in the countryside. Two hour drop off, apart for transportation, reassemble for service, wait for parts, service as needed, disassemble for transportation, reassemble for use. The machine isn't built for that. And as with some other tools lack of quality control and flawed designs happen. I don't mind a little quick adjustment tweak, but this thing needs a ton of them when setting it up.

In short, I wasn't happy with the product. The only way manufacturers get the message is returns for defects, warranty repairs, dealer feedback, ... so they can sort this one out.

I could have accepted a new one in box at the store, doing an exchange, but if these things come in batches of the assembly line, I honestly didn't / wouldn't want the one before or after mine.

I'm hoping that for the next generation they will have read the reviews, heard the feedback and solved some issues. I'll get by with a DIY saw for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by icerabbit View Post
            Yes, it would be guaranteed for life........
            FTR, ridgid's stationary power tools are no longer guaranteed for life. they carry a 3 year warranty and are eligible for registration with the lifetime service agreement (LSA). the LSA, availalble only to a tool's original owner, is supposed to cover parts and labor for covered repairs for the life of the tool. the older, gray ridgid staionary power tools, manufactured prior to about 2003, do carry a lifetime guaranty that attaches to the tool, regardless of ownership.

based on my experience with ridgid and craftsman contractor table saws, it sounds like a few of your issues should have been correctible as part of a tool tune up (the mismanufactured front rail parts not being one of those adjustable items). or was your expectation that the saw be properly aligned and adjusted for use out of the box?
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I have to agree with Finer9998...at least 3 of the complaints mentioned are fully adjustable parts. They may leave the factory adjusted perfectly, but things can shift in transit (and setup), so the adjustments and alignment needs to be done once a saw is assembled. The fence, blade angle stops, and blade alignment are all adjustable....it's often not a pleasant or simple task, but is a necessary evil we all face when we move and setup a saw. While it's not uncommon for someone to pull a saw out the box that's perfectly aligned, it's really just the luck of the draw, and is not at all uncommon or unexpected to perform initial adjustments and tweaks to any full size table saw....I don't feel that tuning adjustments like that are quality issues. Rust is also to be expected with cast iron, and needs to be addressed and maintained...there are many tips on the web for cast iron care. It's hard for me to know many details without being there, but I suspect that you may have given up on it too soon without addressing the key alignment issues required to make any saw perform well. I fully understand that you weren't happy with the saw, and returning it was within your rights, but I can't help but wonder what an afternoon of tuning might have done for the performance of the saw.

The fence rail issue looks to me like one of the rails is slightly bent in one direction or the other. That's not part of normal adjustments, but it could probably have been "persuaded" into lining up.

Comment

Working...
              X