X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best small rotary hammer?

I'm in the need for a small rotary hammer that will be used for cleaning sediment out of small steam generators. I would need an 18" chisel bit in hammer only to clean out the tank and a 3/4-1" drill bit in hammer drill mode to open the pipes.

The reason I need an 18" chisel is tank must be cleaned through a 5" hole, not a lot of space. Can I even get an SDS Plus bit with a 3/4 or 1" chisel or must I go up to an SDS Max?

This will get used 2-3 times a year so I am looking at used tools. I see a lot of Bosch for sale on eBay, is there a reason for this?

Any other recommendations?

Re: Best small rotary hammer?

Keep in mind the Bosch SDS hammers aren't meant for a lot of chipping. They could be great for drilling. However, after about 2-3 weeks of use you will more than likely find it will move about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch with a 12 inch bit, which is more than likely the reason you are finding so many of them on ebay.

Believe it or not, I'm pretty happy with my Dewalt. However, you will need to buy separate adapters.

Comment

If you believe in spending a little more and buying once, then I strongly recommend a Hilti. You can buy used off ebay or home depot where you can pick the Hilti reps brain. Their bit are also superior in my opinion unless the quality has gone downhill in the last few years since I've used them.

Comment

Hilti is the best. We use hammer drills everyday in chipping & drilling mode. The only one that holds up for us is the Hilti. They cost more than other brands, but they last a lot longer.

Comment

have you considered a air chisel,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I gather that HILTI is the best but this will be used 2-3 times a year for an hour or two so I don't think I can justify a HILTI. This sediment is just a little harder than plaster but not as hard as concrete, similar to plain cement.

Air chisel is not an option, don't wnt to be dragging a compressor around from job to job.

I have done some searching and it seems there are no 18" chisels in the SDS Plus format. I'm thinking the answer may be to go up to SDS MAX. A bit overkill but the tool will last longer.

thanks, Rob

Comment

Hitachi commercial grade. No problems with mine. Ran it many hours.

Some choices if interested.

Good luck..

http://www.hitachipowertools.com/ind...ools.aspx?d=68

J.C.
              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 05-12-2011, 11:36 PM. Reason: Added Link

Comment

I have this Hitachi.

http://www.hitachipowertools.com/ind...x?d=68,16&p=67

And I like it.

Comment

I have a hilti te-76. an old hilti is better than a new anything else.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    I have a hilti te-76. an old hilti is better than a new anything else.
                    And that's the truth!

Comment

Get a hilti TE-7-C with a keyed chuck & use a chisel bit for a air chipping gun you should be able to find one 18" long. Otherwise you will have to get a bigger drill.

Comment

Working...
                      X