Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does my Ridgid JP06000 jointer need new knives.

Just new to this used tool I just purchased. The finished edge is not what I expected and also at the end of each pass it seems to "dig in" and take more of a bite.
    Is there an adjustment I have missed, need new knives or operator error?
    This is my first post to this site.
    Thank you.
    Bruce Buss

Re: Does my Ridgid JP06000 jointer need new knives.

There is a wealth of information on setting up a jointer and proper technique for use on the following page
    http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/usejntr.html

Doubtful that your knives are bad. Possibly an ajdustment issue, but probably bad technique (once your board has progressed to the outfeed table that is where your downward pressure should focus)
    Last edited by tomapple; 05-13-2011, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Welcome Bruce. I would say that what you're experiencing could be either a need for new knives, operator error or even both of those. First off, after running your stock over the jointer's knives you shouldn't expect a ready to finish surface. So, if that's what you were expecting, lower your sights just a bit. The extra shaving of material at the end of the pass is probably just operator error. As the wood passes over the jointers knives there should be no downward pressure applied at that point to the stock. The downward pressure should be applied to the piece on the outbound side of the knives. Practice with some scrap and you'll soon become very comfortable with this technique. One other thing, when you do eventually change out the knives follow the directions in the Owners Manual very carefully. Getting the knives set just right can be a little frustrating the first time you have to do but it's a necessity that you do get them set correctly. This video will give you a general idea of what you need to do;
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Comment

Thank you. Some good information.

Comment

Working...
          X