Pressure Washer RD80701 vs. RD80704: Pros and Cons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Washer RD80701 vs. RD80704: Pros and Cons

I just purchased a RD80701 pressure washer but haven't used it yet. Now I see there is an apparently new model the RD80704 and I am trying to figure out if this is a significantly better option. All I can find from the Home Depot and Ridgid sites is that the RD80704 doesn't have the soap dispenser, includes the Turbo nozzle and has the idle down feature. I don't really need the soap dispenser but it seems that the idle down feature could be a significant since I would think it would reduce the wear on the pump and make it more convenient since you don't have to shut off the motor for longer pauses in your spraying. (Is this conclusion valid?)

What I don't understand is why the RD80701 sells for $649 (here in the SF Bay area) and the RD80704 for $599. It seems the idle down feature would more than offset the cost of the soap dispenser. So I wonder if the RD80704 has a cheaper CAT pump. But I can't find anything to indicate what CAT pump is on the RD80701.

If all the rest is the same I'd rather get the RD80704, but I can't find a single store that sells it throughout the 20+ stores in the Bay Area. So that means I can only get it online, and by the time you pay for shipping it will cost more than what I paid for the RD80701. Are they not in the stores because Home Depot is trying to clear out the older model before they sell the newer one, or what?

Anyway, if anyone can enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Doug

Re: Pressure Washer RD80701 vs. RD80704: Pros and Cons

Same engine, basically the same pump (idle-down valve is the difference).
    Here, the 80704 is $599 and the 80701 is $579 - $599 depending on where you find one.
    80704 has a better frame layout, comes with the very handy turbo nozzle and doesn't have the crappy detergent dispenser.
    80701 has a far superior stock hose.
    You are correct... idle-down decreases both fuel consumption and pump wear, BUT you should still shut the unit down if you're not spraying for more than a minute or so.
    Were it MY money, I'd pick the 80704 (and purchase a better hose for it).
    Last edited by Doctordeere; 05-15-2011, 07:30 PM.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Thanks for the input. I would definitely buy the RD80704 if I could find one in a store and not pay $89 just to get it shipped to me. As I mentioned, it is $49 dollars less than the in-store price of $649 for the RD80701 here but I can find no stores in the SF Bay area that stock it. I'm interested if other areas of the country, besides the southeast stock it in the stores? There are 37 stores within 50 miles of San Jose, CA and none carry this item. Any ideas on why that would be?

Comment

Thanks for the input. I would definitely buy the RD80704 if I could find one in a store and not pay $89 just to get it shipped to me. As I mentioned, it is $49 dollars less than the in-store price of $649 for the RD80701 here but I can find no stores in the SF Bay area that stock it. On the Home Depot.com site I put in zips for Ariz, Utah, Oregon, Wahington and Idaho and the local stores all stocked the Rd80704. But Zips for CA from Sacramento to SF, LA and San Diego all didn't stock it. Any ideas on why CA stores would be totally blacked out for this item?

Comment

The RD80704 uses an engine that hasn't been approved for Cali emissions (CARB).
          Look for an RD80991 - same unit, but with a CARB approved engine. But I don't know if it's been released to market yet.

Actually, you shouldn't have been able to buy an RD80701 in California since it's engine isn't CARB approved either. The Cali version of it was RD80903.

Comment

Your right! Even though all the information says it's a RD80701, when I actually looked at the sticker it's a RD80903 and the manual says RD80701/RD80903. So that's the issue. I began to suspect it must have something to do with the stricter EPA regs in CA. So if I order the RD80704 online, do you expect they will stop the order and inform me it can't be sent to CA? I don't see anything on the web site indication this when I put in the CA zip for shipping.

Comment

I would suspect that your order cannot be filled, but that's a question for your local HD customer service associates.

Comment

Realizing this thread is over a year old.... but local HD's are selling out all inventory of 80704 for $499, picked up a couple yesterday...

Comment

Working...
                X