X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on table saw..

I'm in the market for a table saw & have it narrowed down to two, looking for advice..

I was set to pull the trigger on a Ridgid R4512 last week. It's $499 at HD & I'm able to get 20% off, so I could get it for $400. Over the weekend I saw a used Ridgid TS3612 on Craigslist for $300. I'm assuming I could get it for around $250.

I read a lot of really good things about the 3612, but the 4512 is brand new, has a lifetime warranty, etc. Not sure what to do.....

Re: advice on table saw..

Jerkylips,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

The 3612 is certainly a saw with a great reputation, but the question for me would be what condition the saw is presently in. Some owners take very good care, keeping theirs in pristine condition; but of course, other do not! And, you have no warranty; at least as far as we know (some of the older "gray" units carried a "lifetime" warranty against defects in material and workmanship).

The new R4512 would have the 90-day satisfaction guarantee, 3-year warranty; and, with proper registration, the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. It would of course be in brand-new pristine condition, unless of course there was damage out-of-the-box. But even then, you could exchange or get parts replacement.

While I'm a person who would much prefer the brand-new saw (I have "virgin" complex ), I do have to admit that given the choice, I'd probably pick a 3650 over the 4512! But the real answer, for me anyway, would be how much room I have in the shop, and are there particular features that one saw might have over the other. While it may not be, the 4512 appears to be a bit larger, heavier, and less mobile than the older 3612.

For example, the stock fence on the 3612 is better (as I recall, anyway) than the one on the 4512, at least in my opinion.

But the 3612 has a splitter, and I think I'd prefer the riving knife of the 4512.

These kind of things I think are personal preferences, but the main factor for me would be the warranty and LLSA which certainly would put the 4512 in a more favorable position. Someone else may favor the price difference.

I realize this isn't definitive help, but I'm sure there are other forum members who have owned one or the other, or maybe both, with chime in here.

Good luck and again, welcome to the Ridgid forum,

CWS

Comment

thanks for the feedback. I know there probably isn't a "correct" answer... I also saw a used 3650 on CL, but the seller wants $350 & said the top has "some" rust. That one seems a little high. Worth a look though, I guess..

And to further muddy the waters, I don't have a dedicated shop - I have an extra stall in the garage, so I am actually giving some consideration to the 4512 just because it would be easier to maneuver & take with me if needed (I have a lot of friends that ask for help with projects..)

Comment

Speaking as a biased owner of a 3612 it would be a no brainer as far as I'm concerned, if you can get the 3612 for $225-$250 buy it. The 3612 was the last of the Emerson built contractor style table saws and IMO they got everything right with this saw. In my opinion once TTI started to make the Ridgid table saws every new release was a step backward quality wise. The 3650 and 3660 are generally good product but again, IMO, not as robust as the 3612. The hybrid design of the 4511 and 4512 is a step up over the old motor handing out the back contractor style but just about everything else on these saws have been cheapened up. Two piece rail systems and steel wings are two examples. The LLSA is an attractive sales point and should be considered but should not be the deciding factor, again IMO. Although I have the LLSA coverage on my 8 year old 3612 I have yet had any reason to use it. Finally, getting back to the quality built aspect of these two saws, there's a good reason why the 3612 sold for $597 and the subsequently released models went for much less.
        Last edited by BadgerDave; 05-16-2011, 03:19 PM. Reason: Ooops!..... typo
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

you should also know that the 3612 carries a lifetime guaranty that is independent of ownership. a used 3650 has no such guaranty and is registerable with the LSA for original owners only (second hand products are inelligible for the LSA). as a 2412 owner, i am partal to the older gray saws built by emerson electric for ridgid. over the years, i've added a greater capacity rip fence, a herc-u-lift and webbed CI extension wings like the 3612 so that my saw at least physically performs like a 3612, which i feel was one of the best 10" contractor table saws ever built. if i didn't have a saw, i'd go for the 3612.

BTW, this is the 4512:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/10-Cast-...w/EN/index.htm

it's the new 10" CI table saw that probably weighs around 250lbs., so i doubt you'd be taking it anywhere easily. the 4510 is the portable contractor saw.

even if the 3612 has some surface rust, that's easily remedied. if it's complete (rip fence, H-lift, miter gauge, splitter and blade guard) it's worth the $250 you noted.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by jerkylips View Post
            And to further muddy the waters, I don't have a dedicated shop - I have an extra stall in the garage, so I am actually giving some consideration to the 4512 just because it would be easier to maneuver & take with me if needed (I have a lot of friends that ask for help with projects..)
            I believe that the 3612 is significantly more portable than the 4512 and that would be my deciding factor given your requirements and shop situation.

With a couple of our more experienced forum friends stepping in here, I would seriously give the 3612 a priority look. As I mentioned earlier, it has a much nicer fence and, I really don't like the 2-piece rails that are on the new 4512. It sounds like you have a good chance to pick up a "classic" and I think I would give that opportunity a serious look!

Badger Dave has an excellent point regarding the lower quality level of the recent introductions. While I liked the 3650/60, there have been a couple of introductions after that and none of them have been flawless, either in their materials or assembly. As mentioned by Finer, the older gray table saws built by Ridgid do have that Lifetime Warranty which is transferrable, I believe. But at this point in the saw's life, it is doubtful that you'd ever have the need to fall back on that.

Sometimes saws are dropped or superceded because there's a better design. But quite often, the newer model is simply cheaper to produce and thus more profitable for the manufacturer. I would consider the 4512 to fall into the latter catagory. I've only seen a 3612 at an old friend's shop and have not had the opportunity to do more than see him use it. The last two big table saws to bear the Ridgid brand do have some good points, but the build quality and design didn't leave me envious.

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 05-16-2011, 05:11 PM. Reason: TYPOs

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
              I believe that the 3612 is significantly more portable than the 4512 and that would be my deciding factor given your requirements and shop situation......CWS
              a minor point of order, here. both the 3612 and the 4512 are equal in their portability in that neither is portable. both of these are 10" CI centered TSs with built in mobile bases. these make them moveable around a shop floor, but getting them from place A to place B would require a significant amount of effort, a few assistants and perhaps some disasembly. if you are looking for a TS for a home shop that needs to be mobile within the shop, as stated previously, go for the 3612. if it hasn't been abused, it should last a lifetime.

Comment

The 4512 moves around very easy and I've had no issues with it. The only thing I don't care for so far is the two piece rails which I'll replace with a vega pro soon and the way the saw comes down off the casters. Falls hard and it seems like it will knock your blade and things out of whack but it hasn't so far. I've been extremely happy with this saw and if I could find some place to buy cast iron extensions along with the vega pro I'll be set for life.
                Last edited by rone; 05-16-2011, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                  you should also know that the 3612 carries a lifetime guaranty that is independent of ownership. a used 3650 has no such guaranty and is registerable with the LSA for original owners only (second hand products are inelligible for the LSA). as a 2412 owner, i am partal to the older gray saws built by emerson electric for ridgid. over the years, i've added a greater capacity rip fence, a herc-u-lift and webbed CI extension wings like the 3612 so that my saw at least physically performs like a 3612, which i feel was one of the best 10" contractor table saws ever built. if i didn't have a saw, i'd go for the 3612.

BTW, this is the 4512:

it's the new 10" CI table saw that probably weighs around 250lbs., so i doubt you'd be taking it anywhere easily. the 4510 is the portable contractor saw.

even if the 3612 has some surface rust, that's easily remedied. if it's complete (rip fence, H-lift, miter gauge, splitter and blade guard) it's worth the $250 you noted.
                  yes, you're correct about the model number. I was comparing the two current models - contractor & jobsite saws. sorry..

After hearing the feedback here & on other forums as well as reviews of the 3612, I'm actually starting to lean that direction...

Comment

Originally posted by rone View Post
                    ....................... if I could find some place to buy cast iron extensions along with the vega pro I'll be set for life.
                    Give the Harbor Freight parts department a call. IIRC, I've seen threads that said the CI wings for their #46813 table saw go for around $70 each. It's been a bit since I've seen anyone write about it though so the price could be higher now. Sears is another place you could check but I doubt very seriously if they'll be less money than HF.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thank you, Dave...any chance you've seen any that were solid CI?

Comment

Just about any 27" solid cast iron wing can be easily made to fit just about any full size 27" deep saw....cast iron drills pretty easily, so you can expand your list of possible donors to include nearly all 27" cast iron wings.

Comment

$140 for two CI extension wings! wow, thank goodness for CL and/or uninformed people who are content to sell these for much less. i got 2 solid CI wings for emerson built 10" craftsman TSs which would fit my 2412 perfectly for $50:

Comment

Nice!

Man you're lucky...thats exactly what I'm looking for and the only thing I can find online is router table extensions.

Comment

Working...
                            X