X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3612 - will it fit?

I want to take a look at this used saw tonight, but I'm not sure if it will fit in my vehicle if I do get it. I have a jeep cherokee sport - with the back seat folded down, it's reasonably big but I'm not sure if the saw would fit inside.

Also, as far as transport, can it be laid on it's side? If it needs to stay upright then I know it won't fit..

Re: TS3612 - will it fit?

i wouldn't try to move this in an assembled state in that vehicle. it will only get damaged. remember, it weighs close to 300 lbs. bring a set of standard open end/box wrenches, a 6" adjustable wrench and a phillips and a slotted screw driver. those tools will allow you to 1) remove the motor, 2) remove the fence rails, 3) separate the saw cabinet from the leg set (leave the herc-u-lift attached to the leg set), 4) remove the on/off switch from the front rail. whilie it may not have the splitter/blade guard, see if it has part 1 in figure 2 on page 74 of this parts list:

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/88E7884...le_Saw_Man.pdf

that piece allows the OEM blade guard to be removed and reinstalled without having to realign the splitter. the shark guard also mounts to it, so, no part 1, and only one other blade guard/splitter could be mounted to this saw, and that unit doesn't bevel with the blade like the OEM and SG units do.

if you have help, you might be able to leave the extension wings attached to the table top, but DO NOT lift the table top/saw cabinet by the extension wings. it could bend the mounting bolts. when i've had to move similar saws, i've also removed the extension wings. while this may seem like creating work as opposed to moving the saw whole, there are two primary advantages to this: 1) the pieces are easier to pack into a small area with less opportunity for damage in transit to said pieces, 2) when you reassemble the saw at home, you can follow the instructions in the owners manual to make sure it's assembled and aligned correctly. and this thread here is also a great source of information for setting up the 3650, which is literally the same saw as the 3612:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t7585/
    Last edited by FINER9998; 05-17-2011, 01:31 PM.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Excellent advice

Comment

thanks for the advice. the last thing I want to do is cause damage.

the other option that I have is to wait until the weekend & borrow my dad's pickup. Assuming that there's enough help to lift it into the truck, would it be ok to keep it assembled, standing up? I'd use tie-downs to secure it. I have about a 30 minute drive on the freeway..

Comment

Originally posted by jerkylips View Post
          .... Assuming that there's enough help to lift it into the truck........
          that would work, but i wouldn't do it knowing what i know now about second hand saws. the saw's going to need a thorough going over, with the blade, fence, splitter and extension wing alignments checked. so why not get those things out of the way, and reassemble it yourself so you know its done right and aligned correctly. the idea of a buch of guys hoisting this 300 lb tool into the back of a PU truck isn't how i would transport it. what if it rains? a tarp will never keep out moisture like being inside of a vehicle will. you're dealing with a tool that will last a long time...take your time moving it. you won't regret it.

Comment

I think that you will be tempting fate if you try and move this saw fully assembled. At the very least, I would seperate the saw from the stand. The advice Finer gave you is excellent and you should really consider disassembling as much of the saw as possible. Putting the saw back together will teach you much about this saw and that knowledge will serve you down the road. I would also suggest that once you get it setup in your shop that you go through the setup procedures for the fence and rail system and also the blade alignment procedure.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Badger & Finer -

Sounds like good advice, I appreciate it. So back (sort of) to my original question of whether it will fit.. If I disassemble the saw, do you guys think it will fit inside my Jeep?

Comment

with the cabinet disassembled from the leg stand, and the fence rails, extension wings and motor removed, you will need approx. 12 sq' of floor space.

Comment

They can get a little top heavy if you try to transport it fully assembled. The dis-assembly will only take 10-15 minutes, and you'll learn a lot about the saw while you keep it safe.

To give the saw a fighting chance to be at it's best, get a decent blade for it, and get the alignment spot on. Tips for picking blades.

Comment

thanks for all of the advice, I'll plan to take it apart & load it into the jeep - it sounds like it should fit fine..

Now the hard part - waiting for the seller to respond. he said someone else was interested so if after all of this someone gets it before me...I'm gonna be

Comment

Originally posted by jerkylips View Post
                      Now the hard part - waiting for the seller to respond. he said someone else was interested .......:
                      A fairly common practice to keep the sell price up there. If he gets back to you chances are good that you are the only one in the running at the moment at least.
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would agree with you except that we had already agreed on a price. I told him that I thought $250 was a fair price as long as it was in the condition he claimed.. Still haven't heard back..

Comment

Working...
                        X