Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscillating belt sander, can't get spindle knob loose.

Hi, everyone. This is my first post in the forum, and I'm hoping I can find the help I need.

I have the oscillating belt/spindle sander. The belt attachment has been installed for quite some time, and now that it's finally time for me to install the spindles, I've found that the spindle knob is stuck and I can't unscrew it.

Does anyone have any tricks to loosen this sucker? I can get on the spindle knob with a pair of vice grips, but can't grab the spindle with enough counter force to get it loose.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Re: Oscillating belt sander, can't get spindle knob loose.

are you loosening it clockwise? according to page 14 of this manual:

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/8DD3EC1...482_eng_01.pdf

the knob turns clockwise to loosen.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

did you ever get the nut off. i read about the nut being next to impossible to get off if left tight when put away. i always leave mine loose when done. really shouldnt have to do that. i figure its because the nut is brass, dont know why its brass but im sure theres a good reason. ive even put anti-seize on mine.

Comment

I did eventually get the knob loose. I was indeed loosening clockwise. Fortunately for me they put a picture right on the knob so I'd know that :-)

The way I did it was to turn my sanding belt inside out so I could get a decent grip on the big pulley and turned the spindle knob with my vice grips.

I was careful not to tighten it back down too much and put a couple drops of oil on the threads. Fingers crossed it won't happen again.

Comment

Working...
        X