Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchased used TS3650

Howdy all,
    Found this forum after looking for info on a TS3650 that I was looking at. I bought the saw today from a neighbor and it was in pretty good shape. The table needed some TLC it had some surface rust which I removed pretty easily then polished the top and waxed it so it is like new again. I have a couple of questions. This particular saw did not come equipped with the Herculift and as you may know this saw weighs a ton. I need to be able to move it around the garage and without any mobility it is going to be a little difficult to do that. Is the Herculift worth purchasing from Rigid or should i look into buying something after market?

The second thing I noticed was that the measuring scale on the fence rail is pretty useless. I am not sure if it is poorly designed or if it was installed improperly by the original owner but it isn't even close to being accurate like being 6"+ off. Should I purchase a new measuring scale as well to replace the one that was never installed properly or should i just use the tried and true measure from the fence to the blade procedure and not worry about it? I would like to be able to use the scale and have it be accurate but this would be the first saw i have ever had that had a useable measuring scale. My buddie has a Powermatic 66 cabinet saw and he uses the measuring scale on his saw exclusively and it is pretty convenient. His is so accurate that he just has to nudge it to adjust for tiny differences. Thanks again for any/all replys I am a pretty happy camper with my new to me TS3650.

Re: Purchased used TS3650

The herculift that came standard on the saw works great, and would be a good addition if the price was right. The fence rail can be unbolted and moved into position. It is highly unlikely that the measuring tape is off. The front rail probably just needs to be adjusted. I think there are 4 screws that need to be loosened and then the rail can be moved. Once it is close, the pointer can be fine tuned. There should also be a micro adjusting wheel for making small adjustments to the fence. I find the stock fence very accurate and easy to use.

Comment

Thanks Sawayzky I will take a look at the fence rail later today.

Comment

here is a link to the owners manual, in case you didn't have one:

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/C4A2335...50_402_eng.pdf

also, here is an extremely useful thread on this forum concerning maximizing the performance of the 3650:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t7585/

regarding the mobile base, the herc-u-lift is one of the best around. a recent issue of shopnotes magazine had a reader tip from a guy who literally created a similar mobile base using plywood and 4 casters. if i can find the issue larer today, i'll post the info on it.

FWIW, i would go through the owners manual and verify that all the set up steps have been followed correctly. the only assumption i would make about the condition of your saw is that whatever was done to align and set it up originally was done incorrectly. the time spent making sure the saw is tuned properly will greatly increase it's accuracy and help it perform as safely as possible.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

the herc-u-lift type mobile base i mentioned earlier was a reader tip in shopnotes magazine, vol.20, issue 115, jan/feb, 2011 on page 6. i built one like it for a TS and it works well. two things i would mention: 1) make sure the casters on one piece of ply wood are as far apart from the casters on the other piece of plywood as the leg stand will allow. that way, the 2 pieces of plywood will overlap appropriately, making for easy caster engagement. 2) be sure to use 2 swivel and 2 fixed casters...4 swivel casters don't align properly for easy disengagement.

there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
          X