Who makes these tools?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who makes these tools?

Rigid has long been known as the best in Pipe-fitting tools. lately, Ive noticed that Rigid is making quality construction tools too. Where does Rigid "make" their tools? are we paying some asian a few bowls of rice or are we supporting an American family if we buy your tools? This is an important toic to me because most of my clients are unable to fianance my work due to companies moving overseas.

Re: Who makes these tools?

Welcome to the Forum. If your post is serious, so is this answer. I believe it's all made in china or elsewhere outside of the USA. Not much of anything is made in the USA, and myself and others predict it has contributed to our current economic situation. Our consumer dollars are benefitting china, mexico and other countries while we pay Americans to sit home unemployed. Unless our politicians stop pushing their own agendas and figure a way to bring back tax paying businesses and the millions of jobs they provide, it's just a matter of time until our economy completely falls apart.

Comment

RIDGID doesn't "make" power tools. It's a brand. The tools are made by TTI, which is a global company. I expect they make the tools wherever they get the best price/quality deal.

If a plant in country A can make the very same widget for 30% less than a similar plant in country B, it's not hard to see where it will be made. Nothing to do with "some Asian" or "an American family". Well, almost. The American family of course spends its money in Walmart and Target, who force their suppliers to reduce cost, so that they can sell at lower price to the American family. You could say the same about any Western nation, none of whom have large industries making such items as TTI does.

TTI makes devices under the brands of Hoover, Dirt Devil, Milwaukee, Ryobi, Homelite, AEG etc as well as RIDGID.

I drive a Dodge RAM with a good 'ole American V8 HEMI. It's a fabulous truck.

Except the HEMI is made in Mexico, the smart electronics and fancy radio are German, as was the majority of engineering that went into it, and the company is owned by the unions, FIAT and the Federal government.

Comment

Excellent explanation from Roadster and I agree, the facility offering the best cost will more than likely be the place of manufacture... providing of course that the quality level is also cost-worthy.

The "Ridgid" brand is owned by Emerson Electric, which is an American company. TTI is a Hong Kong based company, which uses the "Ridgid" brand (under license from Emerson Electric) to manufacture a line of power tools. As Roadster mentioned, TTI actually owns many brands including Ryobi, Dirt Devil, Hoover, Homelight, and many others. It also owns AEG which is a European manufacturer/brand and is the brand used for many of the tools that are marketed in the U.S. under the "Ridgid" brand. (In the U.S. the tool is branded "Ridgid", but the similar tool in Europe is branded "AEG".)

The "Ridgid" branded power tools are those "orange" tools that include the cordless and corded line of hand-held power tools, bench tools, and stationary tools like woodworking table saws, drill press, thickness planer, jointer, etc. While the older line (gray color with red-orange trim) of Ridgid stationary woodworking tools was included, the new "orange" line also included new hand-held TTI-produced tools; the entire TTI-produced "Ridgid" line is almost exclusely sold through Home Depot and they carry a 3-year warranty and are available, with proper registration, for the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement (which is a TTI-backed service program utilizing Ridgid-authorized service centers).

But to my knowledge, Ridgid plumbing tools and the tools used in both the plumbing and electrical trades are produced mostly here in the U.S. I'm sure there are exceptions and most likely some components that are sourced globally... in places like Taiwan and China, as well as others. The Ridgid shop vacuums are part of Emerson Electric and not TTI. On the machine and on the box of the last shop vac that I purchased, the only address I can find is St. Louis, Mo. So, can we presume it's made here in the U.S.; but whether it's made or assembled in the U.S., Mexico, China, or wherever, the profit is with Emerson Electric.

(I am under the impresson that most of the plumbing and other "trades" tools are made here in the U.S.; but of course, I don't know that for sure.)

You can't go by brands either, as I understand that many DeWalts, as well as other brands, simply don't say where they are made, but many if not most are made or at least assembled in foriegn countrys. Most of these brands however, are U.S. companies that make increased profits because of their foreign manufacturing. Black and Decker Stanley is largely made in China too, even though they are one of America's oldest brands.

So, while I totally agree with you on buying "Made in America"... that's difficult to do and almost impossible to know. For example, my Ryobi (a well known Chinese-made brand) routers were all made here in the U.S. and my Dodge van was made in Canada. My past employer (a century old U.S. manufacturer of compressor and petro-chem processing equipment) has major manufacturing facilities in China and India). "Corning" the historical name in the glass industry, spends $Billions in China to manufacture, while it closed down many of it's U.S. factories.

As far as paying a "few bowls of rice"... well, that simply isn't true. Yes, their wage structure is significantly less that here in the U.S. But cost in China are rising significantly, and on those "rice" wages, Chinese workers are affording some very modern cities, with constant improvement to their infrastructure, they are buying more cars (and more gasoline) than here in the U.S., and they are fast becoming a very "consumer" nation. But, what goes around comes around, as they say. They are also a major polluter, suffering unemployment, educational problems, and most of the malady's of industrialization. And, some Chinese companies are seeking new manufacturing facilities here in the U.S. Maybe not significantly at this point, but things in China are not as we often perceive them, positively or negatively.

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 05-23-2011, 08:41 PM.

Comment

dewalt made in mexico i think

Comment

TTI-Ryobi makes the bulk of the Ridgid tools in Asia, but I've seen a departure on a few tools in recent years. The former R4511 was made by Steel City/Orion, and the current R4512 is made by Dayton AFAIK. The Ridgid Titanium saw blades are made by Freud in Italy. Does Metabo still make anything for Ridgid?

Comment

I have the earlier six-inch Ridgid random orbit sander (the one with the weird dust-collector pouch) and it was made in Germany. Most of my other Ridgid tools (and I have plenty) appear to be made in China or Taiwan. I think we need to get used to that being the norm, at least until Chinese or Taiwanese workers begin to earn enough for their production costs to increase quite a bit. Of course, by they our tool-making industry will be kaput, with nobody able to do the work at any cost, and, well, all bets are off after that. Maybe then production will shift to Mexico.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

Working...
              X