Power tool invention with video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power tool invention with video

3c38876dc904e79e309e6fd25f11dc84.docHey Guys, I have an idea for a power tool and toolsinaction.com was nice enough to write it up. I think it would be the ultimate punch-list saw among other things, but I am biased.

Tools In Action Supports Tool Inventors - An Innovative Miter Saw Prototype | Professional Power Tool Guide

If you like the tool, it would be greatly appreciated if you posted a response at the end of article. If there is enough interest maybe even Ridgid would pick it up. I have attached the product proposal with more details if interested, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by newtools; 05-24-2011, 07:20 PM. Reason: document

Re: Power tool invention with video

Since this is a new concept, I thought it would be a good idea to list several situations where I believe this tool would help us in the field.

1. For remodel or general contractors, this would be a great punch list saw. Where you could easily run it around the house, knocking out those remaining odds and ends and collect that paycheck.

2. On small jobs, where a stationary cut off station would just get in the way or isn't worth the time. This would be the perfect miter saw to throw in the back of the truck.

3. On larger remodel jobs, where as opposed to production framing cut off lengths are anything but standard, this saw would reduce many of those time consuming trips back and forth to the stationary cut off station.

4. For fencing contractors or anyone doing a fence, the horizontal 2x material could be scattered between the posts and knocked out in place with this saw. This also applies when adjusting the fence boards to follow the terrain. Having a portable cut off station that could follow them as they work would be a huge time saver. A cordless version (36V so we can do some real work) would be really nice in this situation.
    5. For exterior siding or trim contractors, where setting up a conveniently located stationary cut off station can be difficult and moving it around even more so. This saw could easily follow them around the house.

6. #5 applies even more so to decking contractors, since the length and width of the material they deal with requires a very large and heavy miter saw stand. At 1/10th the size, the capacity of this saw is really only limited by the area around it and could handle a 40 footer if need be.

7. For flooring contractors, this saw could easily follow them up the cut side of the room. where again, a cordless version would really increase their efficiency.

8. For trim contractors, having a independent portable cut off station that could be at their side and move with them as they go from one window or door to the next would benefit these contractors as well.

9. for the DIY user, this would be the perfect miter saw to knock out those small jobs without having to carry around and store a large miter saw stand.

I am sure there are many more situations where having a portable independent cut off station would benefit the user. It has taken alot of work to bring this tool to where it is now, hopefully Ridgid is wathching and we will find out. Of course any response to the toolsinaction article would really help the cause. Thanks guys...
    Name:  c95ab66b8467c8f2674895f5df915338.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  236.7 KB
    Last edited by newtools; 05-27-2011, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I watched the video and thought it was a good idea, sure would save a lot of set up time.Perfect base for a cordless Ridgid mitre saw.

Comment

Thanks Frankiarmz, I appreciate the support from a fellow tool guy. Hopefully, they are tracking the toolsinaction article responses. It would be great to see Ridgid base a cordless miter saw after this platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          Perfect base for a cordless Ridgid mitre saw.
          Definitely and better be 24/18v compatible! That thing is freaking cool, I really like it! Only thing, give it a base on both sides, leftys are not going to like it.

Comment

Originally posted by newtools View Post
            Thanks Frankiarmz, I appreciate the support from a fellow tool guy. Hopefully, they are tracking the toolsinaction article responses. It would be great to see Ridgid base a cordless miter saw after this platform.
            You might have better luck pitching this idea to Ryobi, they seem to have no trouble offering a wide line of new tools. They already have a cordless mitre saw! Get moving!

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
              Definitely and better be 24/18v compatible! That thing is freaking cool, I really like it! Only thing, give it a base on both sides, leftys are not going to like it.
              Yeah, my sons a lefty we can't leave those guys out. Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                You might have better luck pitching this idea to Ryobi, they seem to have no trouble offering a wide line of new tools. They already have a cordless mitre saw! Get moving!
                I tried pitching Ryobi, but they don't accept outside inventions. I did let them know about the toolsinaction article though, maybe they are tracking it.

Comment

Is this just a plain cut off saw? It does not look like it is made to cut any angles.
                  SSG, U.S. Army
                  Retired
                  K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD View Post
                    Is this just a plain cut off saw? It does not look like it is made to cut any angles.
                    Yes, the prototype has both bevel and miter abilities. In fact because the right side of the deck is missing, this saw could have dual bevel capabilities. This is normally not possible with a standard motor configuration since when beveling to the right, the motor would hit the deck. The advantage being that a manufacture could offer this dual beveling saw at a price point that is very close to a single beveling one.

I should have operated the bevel and miter controls in the video, sorry for the confusion.

Comment

A tool like that would make an interesting conversation piece on the jobsite for sure! Some of the trim jobs I have done would have been nice to have something like that!
                      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                        A tool like that would make an interesting conversation piece on the jobsite for sure! Some of the trim jobs I have done would have been nice to have something like that!
                        Yeah, I think it would make a great "go to" miter saw for example, knocking out those quick trim jobs on the second floor. Thanks...

Comment

another approach may be to offer it as a universal base to attach to an existing saw,
                          (edit) and as an additional touch make it with a pan or tray in to collect a large amount of the saw dust, even if it was an option,

if I am going and want to do a lot of cutting I usually set it up on a stand, and so on,
                          but if it is just a few cuts, I usually just set it on the floor or drive way, and I could see some thing like this in that situation,
                          Last edited by BHD; 05-31-2011, 01:51 PM.
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                            another approach may be to offer it as a universal base to attach to an existing saw,
                            (edit) and as an additional touch make it with a pan or tray in to collect a large amount of the saw dust, even if it was an option,

if I am going and want to do a lot of cutting I usually set it up on a stand, and so on,
                            but if it is just a few cuts, I usually just set it on the floor or drive way, and I could see some thing like this in that situation,
                            Those are great ideas, hopefully Ridgid is listening. I would also like to see an integrated fan similar to their fiber cement saw to improve dust bag collection.

I agree, this saw would be handy for those quick in and out jobs. For larger jobs having a compact and portable version of your stationary cut off station would reduce many of those time consuming trips back and forth to it. Thanks BHD...

Comment

Newtools, contact Jennifer.snyder@emerson.com

I had a few ideas for tools and she emailed me the forms you need to fill out to submit a tool idea to Ridgid.

I really like the idea of incorporating the small induction fan on a miter saw to suck up the dust and deposit it into some type of collection system like the fibercement saw has... BRILLIANT!

Comment

Working...
                              X