Help! problem with blade alignment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! problem with blade alignment

I have a 2412 ts and I finally figured out what my problem was with the blade alignment, now I just need to know if anyone else has experienced the same problem and if there is a fix.

I have aligned the blade to the fence with the blade all the way up and i have got it within .002, when I
    lower the blade to make a cut I get a lot of wood burning and the blade is binding up. I took another
    measurement with the blade down and it is like .040 off front to back. For the time I just realigned the blade to the fence with the blade raised about an inch. I know that is not the correct way to fix my
    problem because now the blade is not square to the table.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Re: Help! problem with blade alignment

Both the blade and the fence should be aligned with the miter slot. If the fence is not properly aligned to the miter slot then that could be your problem.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

BadgerDave I worded that wrong, I aligned the blade and fence to the miter slot, but the problem is the blade changes alignment as it is lowered.
      It changes by about .040.

Comment

I would then check and make sure that you don't have a sawdust buildup inside the cabinet of the saw. If that isn't the case then check and confirm that your saw blade hasn't become distorted. Finally, check and make sure that the front and rear trunion nuts are all snugged down.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Thanks BadgerDave, but I have checked all the above including trying different blades. Maybe I can talk the wifey into a new saw.

Comment

are you the original owner of this saw? if not, i'd perform a "ground up" inspection/tune up, starting with checking the arbor for run out and check the arbor shaft for distortion. here is a link for a few tune up pages:

Table Saw Alignment ****************************************** Page 1

Table Saw Basics - Alignment - NewWoodworker.com LLC

Tablesaw Tune-Up - Fine Woodworking Interactive

Align Contractor Saw Trunions - NewWoodworker.com LLC

WoodNet Forums: How I Fixed my TS Arbor Flange Runout

some of these links use fancy tune up accessories which are not necessary. if you can get a machinists dial gauge at harhor freight (between $10 and $20), simply mount it to your miter gauge and use it to gauge changes in distance between the miter slot and either the blade or fence ( be sure to adjust the miter gauge to remove any "slop" in it's movement in the miter slot before using it for tune up operations). i have a 2412 (i am the original owner) and it cuts well with no burning, now that the blade is parallel (within .003") to the miter slot and the fence is "parallel" to the same miter slot (actually, the rear of fence is away from the rear of the blade by .002", relative to the front of the blade, as all of my ripping is done to the right of the blade).

you may have to remove the wings and invert the saw to make sure the arbor isn't damaged. i did this to an emerson electric (they also manufactured your saw) built craftsman 10" TS i cobbled together from parts. it now cuts better than my 2412. if you bought this used, and it's not performing like it should, break it down and start over regarding how it's adjusted. you'll learn a lot about this saw, and by extension, other table saws and probably find what's causing your issue.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

FINER9998, Yes I am the orginal owner of the saw, I bought this saw maybe seven or so years ago and its been used very little. Its mainly been used to make dog houses and such, were accuracy was not very important. I am starting to get serious with woodworking and I started to fine tune my saw when I noticed this issue. Arbour run out is within spec as is everything else I checked. Like I stated earlier with the blade all the way up I got it within .002 of parallel with the miter slot and when I lower the blade the rear starts to turn in.

Thanks for the links and info

Comment

this may sound stupid, but are the 6 bolts that hold the trunions to the underside of the table tight? the arbor that movs up an down is controlled by a threaded rod that interects with the helix cut into the bottom of the arbor carriage. something has to be pulling/pushing that out of position for the kind of problem you're describing to happen. have you looked there?
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Finer9998, Yes I have checked the trunion bolts, they are tight and not moving. I have even put 2 set screws in the threaded holes on the back trunion for fine adjustment and they keep the carriage from moving. I am thinking that maybe the carriage must be machined wrong.
                  Thanks for the replys.

Comment

Working...
                  X