X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used TS3650 questions

Hi, all. New to the forums. While not new to woodwork, I'm new to doing bigger and bigger projects. My inexpensive portable Craftsman wasn't getting the job done. Last week I found a 3-year old TS3650 for sale on Craigslist and picked it up on Monday for $150, sans blade, blade guard and splitter. As I had a couple brand new carbide blades, I thought that was OK. Table is in good condition, no rust to speak of. Motor has no vibration and the arbor runs smooth. I took a friend along who is a life-long shop man and he said that for the price I was getting a good deal.

As I have been tightening up the nuts and bolts on the stand, the Herc-U-Lift isn't working. If I press down on the large stainless pedal, it locks down and the saw is stationary, but when press on the orange release the wheels do not drop down. Part of the reason I wanted this saw was due to the good things I read about this lift. This is a heavy saw and I really need it to be somewhat mobile or my use will be hampered in my limited garage space. Does the lift just work off of gravity or are there supposed to be springs involved? If anyone has a pic of how this should work, I would appreciate seeing it. Part of the problem might be my levelers are maxed out - if I shorten them up, will that make a difference?

As a final note, I do want to replace the blade guard and splitter. Should I go with a Ridgid or is there a decent (read: mid-price) after-market that will work on this saw?

Thanks, all.
    Quoheleth

Re: Used TS3650 questions

Originally posted by quoheleth View Post
    As I have been tightening up the nuts and bolts on the stand, the Herc-U-Lift isn't working. If I press down on the large stainless pedal, it locks down and the saw is stationary, but when press on the orange release the wheels do not drop down.

Thanks, all.
    Quoheleth
    The bolts that attach the herc-u-lift to the legs are supposed to be left loose. The levelers should be all the way in. Go here for the owners manaul. It shows the correct assembly of the lift. http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/C4A2335...50_402_eng.pdf
    Last edited by TOD; 05-26-2011, 08:34 AM.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

To replace the blade guard and splitter, your least expensive route would be to just replace it with another OEM model. One source for doing this would be eReplacementParts. There are other variations out there that will work but will cost you more.

Also, you should never assume that a previous owner has properly assembled a tool. It's always a good idea to go over the assembly instructions very carefully and make any needed adjustments before using your new saw. I would pay close attention to the blade and fence alignment setup procedure.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll check the bolt tension on the lift assembly as well as overall assembly. Ereplacementparts has the needed pieces - thanks for the link.

Q

Comment

Originally posted by quoheleth View Post
          If I press down on the large stainless pedal, it locks down and the saw is stationary, but when press on the orange release the wheels do not drop down.
          Quoheleth
          Look close at the assembly of the lift, when you press the stainless pedal the wheels should lock in the down position and saw will be mobil, press the orange pedal and the wheels lift up causing the saw to rest on the stationary legs. Pat

Comment

I put in a few hours yesterday evening and got it all put back together. I had the leg balancers screwed out too far, so I shortened them up and loosened the bolts holding the Herc-U-Lift to the legs. The lift now works like a charm. I finished tightening up the bolts all over, re-hung the motor, and fired it up. With it humming smoothly, I installed a combination blade and made a few cuts with the T-square. Cuts smooth, clean and straight! Bingo!

Thanks, all, for the help.

Q

Comment

Working...
            X