Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

AEG 18v Lithium Battery Pack repacking / repairs?? anyone with advice here?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AEG 18v Lithium Battery Pack repacking / repairs?? anyone with advice here?

I have done this before. You can probably get the solder to stick but the issue will be during heat cycles (recharging and discharging). The solder will flow and may cause an open or worst a short. The right way to get it done is with capacitive discharge welders (spot welder). I've done welding metal tabs to batteries at my work.

Comment

Originally posted by thescoundrel View Post
      I have done this before. You can probably get the solder to stick but the issue will be during heat cycles (recharging and discharging). The solder will flow and may cause an open or worst a short. The right way to get it done is with capacitive discharge welders (spot welder). I've done welding metal tabs to batteries at my work.
      Can one buy a small portable version (Cheap) of this spot welder?
      I Put WET STUFF on the RED STUFF!!!

Comment

Harbor Freight sells a spot welder but you need a DC welder to power it.. $30.
        Spot Weld Gun

We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by thescoundrel View Post
          Just to get this straight, when you say you have done this before, do you mean that you have repacked a lithium battery and it works? or were you just referring to the soldering?

Comment

He has a point about the solder "unsoldering" itself if the cells get too hot.

Comment

Bringing this back from the dead, I have a few dead, never used packs that were allowed to self discharge to nothing.

I recently have become interested in rebuilding these packs I cannot warranty, and was searching (again) for what is available. I have come across these little Gem apparent batteries.

10 Pcs 18650 4200mAh 3.7V Li-ion Rechargeable battery Blue Ultracell Cell | eBay

$45 for enough to do 1 3.0 pack and upgrade it to 4.2ah and $27 to redo the same pack and make it a 3.6ah pack.

I am not an expert at electricity or math, but Is it my imagination or are the packs run in parallel to keep the voltage at 18V (3.6x5) If that were the case, would the Amp Hour rating double because the cells are ran in parallel (doubling capacity) and in series to get 18V? a 8.4AH pack sounds well worth the $50, but unsure the risk of getting set fire to trying to build a pack.(and pray the circuit boards are still in proper functioning order.

Today I was playing with some RC car battery packs that have soldered on battery bars joining the batteries together. I was using a 250W soldering iron to try and desolder one of the battery bars to change the configuration of the cells. All I could say was WOW, it took forever for the solder joint to get hot enough for the joint to separate. So yes, soldering does work for joining individual cells together and will hold up to the heat and drain of a cordless tool, but good luck getting the thing hot enough to get the solder to join properly, and not destroy the cell in the process.

It will be interesting to see how the small pack responds to better cells. When I get some extra money together I will be experimenting with the small packs.

Comment

MB, awesome! I've been looking for a replacement cell as well and these would be awesome. I have about a dozen 12v batteries I can not warranty, and they use the same 18650 cells as the big brother 18v but just 3 cells. I'm trying to figure out a good way to bond the cells... Hmmm, my cousin works for northern tool & equipment, wonder if they have anything?

Comment

MB, just so you know, there is a downside to upsizing the cell amp hour rating. The larger amp hour rating also means fewer recharging cycles. The cells you listed above are only rated for 2000 recharge cycles. They also have a larger capacity unit than what you listed but only has a life of 1000 recharge cycles.

Comment

Be careful soldering the battery tabs!
                    They really don't play well with heat and you may damage the battery.
                    This is why the professional battery re-builders use a quick spot weld to make the connection.

Also be careful regarding the amp rating of 18650 batteries 4200mah????? truth or hype?
                    I believe the typical range can be from 2200mah to 3000mah

Cactus Man

Comment

3000mah is better than the 1500mah rating our current cells use now. And who are we kidding on the number of cycles our current batteries last. 2 years is the average life span. Assume you recharge your battery twice a day, 5 times a week, times 2 years. 2*5*52*2=1042 cycles. 2000 cycles is an upgrade. I need to do more research, I don't want to choose a cell that does not match the discharge/recharge properties of the existing cells to avoid something melting or catching fire.
                      Last edited by masterbeavis; 02-21-2012, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Hey there Guys, I still dont receive any damm notifications on replies here..

I am now fed up of searching for a company that do repacking at good prices, they just dont exist! the cheapest price I got was R850 oer battery, thats like $80...

I am now considering buying this!
                        Hand-held Spot Welder Machine Welding for Laptop Mobile phone Battery 220V | eBay

here is a video of how it operates...

So yes, I know its pretty expensive but I am thinking of trying to advertise and do repacking as a sideline once it arrives.... basically to make up for the money I spent on it... would you guys say this machine seem to be a quality item? that would last?

and lastly, do you guys think one can spotweld these type of cells rather than the ones with the flat type terminals:
                        Firepeak 18650 3200mAh 3.7V Rechargeable Li-ion Protected Battery | eBay

any replies appreciated..

Comment

Oh and BTW, does Anyone know what the process is to check/ Test the Battery PCB for proper operation....?

Comment

Anyone? I need to know this before I order my stuff....

thanks hey

Comment

Sorry, can't help you but I'm interested in what you find out and learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X