Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

AEG 18v Lithium Battery Pack repacking / repairs?? anyone with advice here?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEG 18v Lithium Battery Pack repacking / repairs?? anyone with advice here?

Hi there guys,

I bought a AEG cordless drill set, its a extremely nice drill, Im sure its Industrial quality, and its brand new, but I dont know if the set was too long on the shelves in store or what coz the batteries are bothe DEAD! charger indicates they broken... so after a bit of research, I opened them and they definately fried.. lol some of the cells are just ... well they look bad! and multimeter show they DEAD haha.. I see they are the 18650 Lithium cells, but they dont shom the "mAh" size on them..

so now, I would like to buy cells off eBay but im not sure what the end result would be, would the batteries be fixed if I just replace all the cells or will the PC boards inside the battery communicate some SH&* to the charger that the cells have been replaced or something and not charge haha! or are these things not THAT intelligent yet. lol!! Oh!! and will any size "mAh" do??

any advice would be great guys, thanks so much.
    I Put WET STUFF on the RED STUFF!!!

Re: AEG 18v Lithium Battery Pack repacking / repairs?? anyone with advice here?

oh and I forgot to just add, I bought it from a Pawn Shop knowing the batteries are dead.. So I just hope I can fix them

Comment

While I can't speak to particulars regarding your particular model, in most cases the battery packs can be rebuilt on many different brands of power tools... or so I've read, as I've never had to do it myself. There are places out there that offer such a service. Biggest challenge is probably just getting the case open and I am doubtful that the circuit card would be designed to "know" whether it had replacements or not. Of course, the question of damage to the circuit might be in question, especially if the batteries look "fried". Batteries by themselves generally have no physical indication that they've lost their ability to hold a charge, especially if it's just because of long use.

From recent observations, the AEG brand is very similar, if not the same as the "Ridgid" brand that is marketed here in the U.S. (AEG being one of many brands used by TTI (Techtronics International). They are, more or less, the European brand name used by TTI of it's "professional" line of tools. You may find the exact model (look-a-like) with the Ridgid name on it, in which case buying a replacement battery an easy task. What I would be concerned with is the charger, as there may well be different voltage requirements, as is common between the U.S. and the E.U.

I hope this is helpful,

CWS

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I just sat the EXACT same, or 95% the same drill as mine with the name RIDGID on it, lol, even the charger looks the same. Well to put it this way, the drill has NEVER been used, the batteries must be in the cond it is from laying on the shelf for too long, as I can see that this drill has never been touched at all, not even the chuck has been opened, anyway, the one pack has only 4 batteries that show damage... well physical anyway.. meaning, they have sort of many small signs of bumps and wrinkles on them.. but the other 6 look perfect and even shows a volt reading where the damaged ones show nothing... I opened the 2nd pack and that one is totally gone, all cells are like the 4 in the 1st one... I will take pics and upload as soon as I get a chance, its now 2 am, so I need to go sleep, haha... but thanks hey... Oh BTW... I had an OLD laptop battery here with me... and I opened that and found that it also has the 18650 cells in it, so I took a chance and replaced the 4 BAD cells in the 1st pack with those and closed it up, now the charger shows its charging... for about 2 min and then shows its full, but the drill doesnt even move, and the multimeter shows 8.5v reading on the pack.. so I dont think the charger is faulty though, I do know that the Laptop battery was screwed haha as it couldnt keep charge for 1 min then the laptop goes off.. but at least the cells looks way better than the 4 that was in the pack so thats the only reason I did what I did... to see if it makes a difference and it dit.. now I am just worried that if I buy like 10x cells off eBay that for some other reason the packs wont work.. thats why I thought to ask for advice here.

Comment

I use 18650 cells in my LED flashlights and they are rated at 2500MAH and 3.7 volts. Ten of them fully charged would put out over 40volts?, Have you tried to look for replacement battery packs? I would also try to rig some DC power source and make sure the drill works, wheter or not it looks new and never used. Many of us found our way to this Forum because we purchased or use Ridgid tools. The Ridgid cordless tools are great and come with a heck of a good lifetime service agreement. Just in case your current situation does not work out. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            The Ridgid cordless tools are great and come with a heck of a good lifetime service agreement. Just in case your current situation does not work out. Good luck.
            The Ridgid tools (cordless or otherwise), come with a 3-year warranty and are eligible for the LLSA (Limited Lifetime Service Agreement) only if the original purchaser properly registers them within 90-days of purchase. To my knowledge, neither the warranty or the LLSA are transferable to a second owner.

Sorry,

CWS

Comment

How do you get these packs apart? I don't see any screws.

[edit] screws are easy to find if you are looking for them, have no clue how I missed them
              Last edited by masterbeavis; 02-20-2012, 03:29 AM.
              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Hey guys, no my packs has screws tho, sorry for the late reply but I never received any notifications of replie shere, I will Upload pics, please let me know if you guys think it would be worth the try to buy cells and fix the packs?

thanks

Comment

This is the set....

Here is the battery Pack

[img][/img]

And here are the cells inside compared with and old laptop battery's cells...(white from AEG and green from Laptop)

What you guys think hey?

Comment

Originally posted by Proton View Post
                    And here are the cells inside compared with and old laptop battery's cells...(white from AEG and green from Laptop)

What you guys think hey?
                    I say do it! The only thing that concerns me is that normal soldering irons do not produce enough heat fast enough to solder the link bars together without damaging the cells. I personally have not tried doing this with LI batteries, but have fried a few batteries in my day with cheap soldering irons. I would assume that spot welding would do the trick, with the proper equipment, or a person skilled with soldering.

Comment

thanks for the reply, Im sure it will be fine if I just use my Solder Iron on its hottest and make sure to just momentarily apply heat.. I cant see that it would be a Problem..

will shop for cells first and update as I go.

thanks

Comment

thanks for the reply, Im sure it will be fine if I just use my Solder Iron on its hottest and make sure to just momentarily apply heat.. I cant see that it would be a Problem..

will shop for cells first and update as I go.

thanks
                        It has been my experience that you have to get the metal hot for the solder to flow and bond the metal together. What wattage is your iron?

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                          It has been my experience that you have to get the metal hot for the solder to flow and bond the metal together. What wattage is your iron?
                          Hi, I have a Magnum 80watt Soldering station.. adjustable..... what you think?

Comment

Send them here.

voltmanbatteries Home Page
                            SSG, U.S. Army
                            Retired
                            K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Hi, I have a Magnum 80watt Soldering station.. adjustable..... what you think?
                              I dunno, never hurts to try.

Comment

Working...
                              X