X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Air Ratchets

My lawn tractor's mower deck has two blades and they are a real pain to take off for sharpening. I was thinking about getting an air ratchet in the hopes that it would make this chore a little easier. The ones I've looked at all seem to be in the 50 ft lbs of torque neighborhood. Will this be enough umph to loosen the bolts that hold the blade on? Other than nailers and air guns, I know little about air powered tools except that most take a lot of air to work right.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: Question About Air Ratchets

I have found the Harbor Freight pneumatic impact wrench is ideal.
    It is adjustable 50-250ftlbs, accepts 1/2" impact sockets and it's inexpensive.

I use it on my John Deere riding mower deck I think it's set at 100ftlbs [90psi]

Cactus Man

Comment

a half in drive impact should work well,

and air ratchet I do not think you will be happy with in this situation,

on my 3/8 air ratchet, you basically break it loose by hand and the ratchet then spins it off the bolt, thus not needing to ratchet the handle back and forth, as with the air alone only small or lighly tightend bolt will break free. without a tug,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

[QUOTE=BadgerDave;347757] I was thinking about getting an air ratchet in the hopes that it would make this chore a little easier. The ones I've looked at all seem to be in the 50 ft lbs of torque neighborhood. Will this be enough umph to loosen the bolts that hold the blade on[QUOTE]

Impact air wrenches typically have much more torque than ratchets and for short blasts a small compressor might work. An 18V impact driver loosened my mower deck blades and I would have switched to the electric impact wrench (300 ft lb) if the bolts were real tight from rust. Spray some PB or W40

Comment

My 18volt ridgid impact driver has over 100lbs of torque and will accept a 1/2 adapter. I suggest breaking bolt free with hand tool and then using the cordless tool. When you reattach, put some antiseize on the threads and don't overtighten. The blades won't loosen if you give them a good grank. I wrap a rag around the blade and hold it while tightening with a 1/2 inch ratchet handle. I also ride the lawn tractor up on car ramps for better clearance.

Comment

Working...
          X