Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Is the 24V circular saw better than the 18V saw, both using 18V batteries?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the 24V circular saw better than the 18V saw, both using 18V batteries?

One of my local Home Depots still has a new 24V saw, I was comparing it to the 18V saw and seen they were very similar with the exception of the 24V having a composite (plastic) deck, and having a slightly larger housing for the motor. 24V saw=3900 RPM, 18v saw 4100 RPM. It almost seems the 24V saw will run slower with an 18V battery? Will the 24V saw with an 18V battery cut better than the 18V saw? It sounds like a stupid question, especially when I add that I do not have any 24V batteries. I am not very happy with the performance of my 18V saw ripping 1/2"-3/4" plywood. I don't use it to cut much, but what I do cut, its slooow, stalls a lot, makes me wish I had drug the cord out. I dont have any plans to purchase 3+ year old 24v batteries, but seeing this saw got the gears turning and made me think of this question.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Re: Is the 24V circular saw better than the 18V saw, both using 18V batteries?

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
    One of my local Home Depots still has a new 24V saw, I was comparing it to the 18V saw and seen they were very similar with the exception of the 24V having a composite (plastic) deck, and having a slightly larger housing for the motor. 24V saw=3900 RPM, 18v saw 4100 RPM. It almost seems the 24V saw will run slower with an 18V battery? Will the 24V saw with an 18V battery cut better than the 18V saw? It sounds like a stupid question, especially when I add that I do not have any 24V batteries. I am not very happy with the performance of my 18V saw ripping 1/2"-3/4" plywood. I don't use it to cut much, but what I do cut, its slooow, stalls a lot, makes me wish I had drug the cord out. I dont have any plans to purchase 3+ year old 24v batteries, but seeing this saw got the gears turning and made me think of this question.
    i see no reason why the saw you are discussing wouldn't perform the same way my max select dual voltage portable vacuum does. and it performs much better w/24v batteries than with 18v batteries. if you want better saw performance, i don't think the 24v saw with 18v batteries is going to provide it. but you may have another issue.

i have 3 ridgid multi tool combo kits. 2 are 18v nicads and the third is the 24v LI kit. all three have circular saws and none of them bog down while crosscutting or ripping 2x material. sheet goods are never a problem. have you tried a new 24 tooth ripping blade. it might help.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
      have you tried a new 24 tooth ripping blade. it might help.
      Honestly, no I have not. I know a fancy blade will make some difference in the speed of the cut, my experience is with my 18V Dewalt circular saw with 2 year old batteries. With a new blade its like it has a turbo on it. When it gets dull, it still cuts, just not as fast. The Ridgid saw on the other hand, it feels like a downgrade.

Comment

I am happy with every Ridgid tool I have, with the exception of the 18 volt circ. saw. I have had the same problems cutting 1/2" plywood.

Comment

In all honesty, I know that the blade that came in this saw is a borderline piece of junk. I run a Freud blade in my Dewalt saw and have been threatening to switch my Ridgid to one as well once the blade stops feeling sharp to the touch. Even my Dewalt saw will cut better with a semi dull blade missing teeth than the Ridgid will with the semi-sharp blade it has now.

Comment

my only two dewalt tools are the big and small circ saws. I like the blade on the left side. i can see without leaning over.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
              my only two dewalt tools are the big and small circ saws. I like the blade on the left side. i can see without leaning over.
              I agree with you there, It took some gettting used to for sure. I have been fishing for a cheap X2 saw with the blade on the left for that exact reason. Unfortunatley I waited a month too long to get back to a home depot with ALOT of old stock stuff to get the best deals...

Comment

The latest x4 circular saw probably runs more efficiently with 18v power versus the old maxselect 24/18v. The old maxselect 24/18v was a great concept but all the maxselect power tools had less performance with 18v versus 24v. Ryobi recently introduced a new 24v system of yard tools that one of our members modified to power his maxselect tools....something to think about if you consider picking up that maxselect circular saw.

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                  Ryobi recently introduced a new 24v system of yard tools that one of our members modified to power his maxselect tools....something to think about if you consider picking up that maxselect circular saw.
                  I read someplace that those battery packs use the lowest of the barrel cells, were around 2.2AH packs, no thanks. I more than likely will stick with what I have.

Comment

As an electrician, I normally only use a circ. saw for cutting plywood for mounting panels on. But I am currently building a shed, and I have truly become unhappy with my 18v ridgid saw during the project.

If I knew then what I do now, I would have bought a corded saw the first day I was buying materials for the shed.

Comment

You can buy a leftie sidewinder saw for $40 new, $10-20 at a yardsale.

Comment

Update. Due to my tool hoarding tendancies, and Home Depots liberal return policy, I would up with a used 24V max select saw, and a Ryobi 24V weed eater, battery and charger ($32 out the door) Needless to say, I have everything I need to answer my question. I modded the saw to accept the battery, I modified the slightly melted battery case so it would fit onto the charger again.

Both saws received new Freud Diablo 6.5" 24t blades
                        6-1/2 in. x 24 Tooth Carbide Circular Saw Blade-D0624R at The Home Depot
                        Without a doubt, the 24V saw with a 24V battery, and a Freud blade is WAY better and faster than the 18V saw running the same blade. The 24V saw running the 18V battery almost seems worse than the 18V saw with the 18V battery. All batteries used were 3.0 AH models, the 18V being the X4. Test material was 7/16" OSB and 2x4 #2 DF.

My only concern with the 24V is battery life. I dont think we did much cutting, when I checked the battery, it only had 2 bars left. I dunno, we will see.

Comment

Working...
                        X