Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EBAY Tools

Hello
    Was wondering if any members here have purchased Ridgid tools from ebay?
    Would like to purchase an 18 volt impact driver but kind of hesitant. It is just the tool without any batteries.
    The ebayer is manwood51 and the impact driver says new. How do hte folks sell these items? Do they break up kits? The endings prices seem to be around 75.00 price range. Thanks, Ron

Re: EBAY Tools

that's exactly how they do it. look at all his other offerings, add up the pieces plus postage and you'll see it's not a bad way to make a few bucks.

drawback is you have no original receipt and therefore no lifetime warranty, possibly no hd 90 day warranty either.

i've had good luck for the most part with ebay. especially with a track record on new products.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      that's exactly how they do it. look at all his other offerings, add up the pieces plus postage and you'll see it's not a bad way to make a few bucks.

drawback is you have no original receipt and therefore no lifetime warranty, possibly no hd 90 day warranty either.

i've had good luck for the most part with ebay. especially with a track record on new products.

rick.
      I print a receipt from paypal and ebay and staple them together. I've used those to get warranties honored but I'm not saying Ridge would honor that. Will they?

Comment

Buyer beware! with that said I have purchased a number of Ridgid tools on E-Bay
        As Rick has told you many purchase kits some on sale etc then break them up
        and sell them.

Sometimes I have questioned how someone can get 15 of the same item when Home
        Depot has not had them in inventory for years!

I have never received a defective product. I have actually saved a significant
        amount of money as here we pay 9.5% sales tax. Shop carefully as many do not consider
        shipping costs with the cost of the product. If you see what you want and the price
        is reasonable go for it.

Be sure to compare prices with similar items, be wary of very used tools etc.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          ... drawback is you have no original receipt and therefore no lifetime warranty, possibly no hd 90 day warranty either.
          "This warranty applies only to the original purchaser at retail and may not be transferred."

No warranty. Period.
          Since "manwood51" (eBay seller) is the original purchaser, he's the only one who qualifies for warranty service.

Some ASCs will go by the DOM (date of manufacture) on the tool to determine warranty status, thus they often won't require a dated receipt, so that rule is sometimes bypassed by default. But according to TTI's written warranty policy... no warranty.
          "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

they shouldn't. the warranty covers the original purchaser/ owner. in this case it's the ebay seller who was the original purchaser and has the original receipt.

so realistically ridgid has no obligation to honor the warranty. nor does home depot since you have no home depot receipt. now if the original ebay seller wants to include the original receipt, then you don't have the rest of the kit to bring back.

you're getting a great buy on the item you need from ebay, but the trade off is the warranty.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

most products only cover the original purchaser.

a water heater is a prime example. if the customer originally registered the heater at any time. the next owner of the house will not be able to get the balance of the warranty. seen it happen on more than 1 occasion.

same with most lifetime stem warranties with most makes. some will even ask for the sales receipt. sure there are some that will give you free parts with little questions, but they always ask for a name and address.

sears has a pretty nice warranty policy. but remember that's for hand tools, not power tools.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I buy "bare tools" all the time from ebay.I don't worry about warranties.When they die I pitch em' .I don't need batteries and charges as I already have a ton. Don't know about ridgid I only buy dewalt..sorry I have had their 18 volt cordless tools since the infamous "4 pak" came out .I figure if I can get a bare tool for $100 or under I am still wayyy ahead of the game...If you need to be constantly worrying about warranties you are probably buying junk..just my .02
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

That is what I was thinking also. I figure the warranty is not worth the extra 125.0 for a new tool.

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                  I buy "bare tools" all the time from ebay.I don't worry about warranties.When they die I pitch em' .I don't need batteries and charges as I already have a ton. Don't know about ridgid I only buy dewalt..sorry I have had their 18 volt cordless tools since the infamous "4 pak" came out .I figure if I can get a bare tool for $100 or under I am still wayyy ahead of the game...If you need to be constantly worrying about warranties you are probably buying junk..just my .02

Comment

Here is a little known secret. Most Home Depots get these tools returned once in a blue moon, OR the dept. mgr will break open a kit to replace a defective tool for a customer. What is left goes into overhead someplace, usually in/near the tool coral. Go in and ask for the Tool Dept. MGR and ask him/her if they have any used/opened/returned kits they would be willing to part out. I once paid $25 for a brand new charger, 1 handed sawzal and 3.0ah LIPO battery. Last Friday I got a new 3.0 battery for $45, 1.5A $20, two customer fraud return 1.5a LIPO free (buy a new tool, return it with old worn out batteries) a lightly used (but old) 12V Max HC slide pack $5, 18V florescent light $20, a Dewalt snake light without bulbs (free) two med. sized tool bags and large tool bag for free. If I were to add up the ebay cost of what I got that day I would be looking at $300+. Instead I walked out the door with that stuff for $98. The old worn out batteries are still within 3 years too, next Monday I will be dropping them off to get new ones.

It helps to have a story like "I love the tools but I really can use a ______" So far this secret has worked in 2 of the 4 Home Depots I have tried it at. The 2 that said NO instantly markdown what comes back and sells it instead of storing it.
                    Last edited by masterbeavis; 06-12-2011, 01:06 AM.
                    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                    X