X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X3 Li-Ion batteries can't run the compact radio R84081

The 1.5 amp hour 18 volt X3 style lithium ion batteries cannot run the compact radio. It turns on, but constantly cycles on and off. Before you blame the radio, it has logged at least 1000 hours (probably a lot more) with 18 volt ni-cads and also the new (X4) li-ion batteries. Flawlessly.

My impression is that the cycling is due to the fact that these batteries are "Intelligent". They power the radio momentarily, but then shut it off. It then turns back on, and off, and repeats....
    I think this is because the load from the tiny radio is so small that the battery thinks that it is not in use, and it cuts power, resets, and repeats.

Of course this intelligence is to prevent fires and the inevitably ensuing lawsuits, but I think in this case it was a serious flaw. So much so, that it may have led to a redesign of the 18 volt li-ion batteries...hence the X3 series is already being replaced by the X4.

What do you guys think? Do the X3 3.0 amp hour batteries power the compact radio? Has anyone else run into a problem with the 1.5 ah li-ion's?

Re: X3 Li-Ion batteries can't run the compact radio R84081

has to be that bat. Ive used my compact many times with the radio.

Comment

Happened with both batt's, and my buddy's as well.

I should have added that the 1.5 ah X3 batts manufactured this year work fine. However, I have never gotten any of the original X3 li-ion 1.5's to run it though.
      Last edited by A.T.; 06-12-2011, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by A.T. View Post
        The 1.5 amp hour 18 volt X3 style lithium ion batteries cannot run the compact radio. It turns on, but constantly cycles on and off. Before you blame the radio, it has logged at least 1000 hours (probably a lot more) with 18 volt ni-cads and also the new (X4) li-ion batteries. Flawlessly.

What do you guys think? Do the X3 3.0 amp hour batteries power the compact radio? Has anyone else run into a problem with the 1.5 ah li-ion's?
        My X3 batteries powered my radio flawlessly! The 3.0 battery will power my radio for a day and then some. The 1.5 batteries I think would do a full day.

The only thing that killed my radio was either it was stolen or I left it on the truck or something stupid like that. I get irritated every time I think about it. Average replacement cost, for the radio, $80. I paid $45 to replace the 3.0 battery (bought new from HD for $20 plus a charger and sawzall, DM was in a good mood) I got the stuff damn near free, OMG what a terrible expense to replace.

I have my name and phone number written clearly on my tools, I would like to think that if I left it on a job my customer would call me and say "Hey, thanks for leaving your radio here for me, next time leave a charger for the battery while you are at it...."

Sorry, I had to rant.

I might cheap out and replace it with a Ryobi radio, I have some new batteries (and no tools) that Id like to get some use out of. (another story there...)
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Do you remember what year you bought them?

Comment

Do you remember what year you bought them?
            There is a date code on every battery CSYYMM, i.e. CS1029 CS=i dunno, 10=2010, 29 is 29th week of the year, or third week of July. The repair center will use this date to warrany your battery providing the date reads CS0920 or newer or go off of a dated receipt.

OUt of curiosity, do these batteries work OK in other tools?

Comment

Yeah, all my tools (across three diff. Ridgid lines) run the same with these.

Interestingly enough, the label on the '09s rates them at 26 Wh. The same battery from '11 (the X3 1.5ah that DOES run the radio) has a label rating of 27 Wh. So Ridgid definitely changed some things about them.

I just got the '11 batt, so I haven't really put it to the test with my other tools. I hope it powers them better than the '09s do. They die SO quickly when worked hard. I know this is just part of any lithium ion setup, but it happens ROUTINELY.

HOWEVER, I once used one of the '09s constantly for three days w/o recharging when plugging/switching and fixturing a house with my 18 volt Fuego driver. The batt's are awesome when using the tool properly. The R86007 is really just a cordless screwdriver.

So anyway, I think that the early version of the X3 style li-ions were flawed. I don't have a X3 3ah batery, but I speak from experience when I say that the 1.5 ah ones, at least the early production ones, were not right.

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                My X3 batteries powered my radio flawlessly! The 3.0 battery will power my radio for a day and then some. The 1.5 batteries I think would do a full day.

The only thing that killed my radio was either it was stolen or I left it on the truck or something stupid like that. I get irritated every time I think about it. Average replacement cost, for the radio, $80. I paid $45 to replace the 3.0 battery (bought new from HD for $20 plus a charger and sawzall, DM was in a good mood) I got the stuff damn near free, OMG what a terrible expense to replace.

I have my name and phone number written clearly on my tools, I would like to think that if I left it on a job my customer would call me and say "Hey, thanks for leaving your radio here for me, next time leave a charger for the battery while you are at it...."

Sorry, I had to rant.

I might cheap out and replace it with a Ryobi radio, I have some new batteries (and no tools) that Id like to get some use out of. (another story there...)
                Where are you finding radios for $80? I haven't had much luck in finding these on ebay or Craig's list near me. I did find one last week on ebay but by the time I added in the $35 shipping cost the guy wanted it was worth it to spend the few extra $$ to get it brand new with a warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
                  Where are you finding radios for $80? I haven't had much luck in finding these on ebay or Craig's list near me. I did find one last week on ebay but by the time I added in the $35 shipping cost the guy wanted it was worth it to spend the few extra $$ to get it brand new with a warranty.
                  I have not found any new ones at all available for the warranty. There is one on Amazon.com for $115. If you do a search on Ebay for the radio, they do come up, about twice a month, for around $60-70 used. I did find one seconds before it closed that was two impacts, charger, radio, drill, two dead batts, the lot sold for $70. I could have cried!

You need to be logged into ebay for this to work.
                  ridgid radio | eBay

They are there, but pricey! Nothing is currently listed right now.
                  Ryobi has one that sells for $35 at Home Depot, I might break down and buy it just so I have compact tunes again. (I have two batts and a charger for long lost tools)

Comment

The new Ridgid radio looks awesome. I was checking it out at home depot. It's nice that they redesigned the full size radio into something smaller/lighter than a mini-fridge. But $149 and it can't charge batts...no way.

Didn't the DeWalt and Milwaukee radios charge batt's 10 years ago?? What's the problem here?

Comment

Patent infringement. Dewalt radios still charge batteries, they own the patent. Unsure about the Milwaukee ones.(edit, just read the new milwaukee does not charge batteries) I heard somebody say that Bosch pays(paid) Dewalt $75 in royalties per unit for their radios to charge batteries. That sounds rediculous I wonder what it would take to modify the Ridgid radio to charge and use batteries?

just found this in my edit
                      lack & Decker v. Robert Bosch Tool Corporation
                      Representing Black & Decker in multi-patent dispute regarding jobsite radio charger. Achieved favorable claim construction for the patents-in-suit and denial of defendant Bosch’s four summary judgment motions. Full jury trial on the merits conducted before the Honorable Amy J. St. Eve, Northern District of Illinois, resulted in a jury verdict finding both patents-in-suit valid and infringed, awarding $1.75 million in lost profit and reasonable royalty damages as well as determining that Bosch’s infringement was willful.

Conducted and won separate bench trial on Bosch’s inequitable conduct defense, with the Court denying Bosch’s defense that the patents-in-suit were unenforceable due to inequitable conduct. Achieved the award of enhanced damages, prejudgment interest and Black & Decker’s costs against Bosch, bringing damages awarded to nearly $2.8 million with Black & Decker’s request for an injunction granted and entered against Bosch’s infringing jobsite radio charger. The original case and a second, companion case settled favorably after appeal.
                      Last edited by masterbeavis; 06-14-2011, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Well now it makes sense that Ridgid doesn't do it, at least that I know of. They try to give quality for price, at least most of the time. Can't do that paying royalties.

The new radio runs on an 18v batt. I didn't have the previous full sized one, did that run on batt? I don't think it would take that much to make it charge nicads. Probably very little modifying as you already have the docking station, just figure out how to backfeed voltage. The li-ions are smart though. I know they have a tendency to catch on fire, I think that it is why they have such a big circuit board, and refuse to work when you need them most. The new x4 batts have a new charger, which is kind of weird. You would think that the previous chargers would have worked, as they charged the X3 li-ions. Maybe another thing behind the X3/X4 transition. I am absolutely convinced that there was something wrong with the X3 series batts, at least initially.

Comment

Well now it makes sense that Ridgid doesn't do it, at least that I know of. They try to give quality for price, at least most of the time. Can't do that paying royalties.

The new radio runs on an 18v batt. I didn't have the previous full sized one, did that run on batt? I don't think it would take that much to make it charge nicads. Probably very little modifying as you already have the docking station, just figure out how to backfeed voltage. The li-ions are smart though. I know they have a tendency to catch on fire, I think that it is why they have such a big circuit board, and refuse to work when you need them most. The new x4 batts have a new charger, which is kind of weird. You would think that the previous chargers would have worked, as they charged the X3 li-ions. Maybe another thing behind the X3/X4 transition. I am absolutely convinced that there was something wrong with the X3 series batts, at least initially.
                          You would need some sort of relay that will isolate the battery from discharging/put it into charge mode when there is AC power, and otherwise run off of the battery and jamn in the battery charger as well.

Comment

Looks like you've already given it some thought. You ever try to mod it?

Comment

Nope, I don't even own one of the radios. I posted a thread of some guy on craigslist who was making tools fit ridgid batteries by taking dead ridgid bases and using an epoxy resin to bond it to another tool. My thought would be to make a Ridgid to Dewalt adapter and use their radio. That sounds alot simpler IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X