X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R869- Compact fluorescent (CFL light bulb) flood light

Does anyone have the light that is in this pic? I love the idea of having a CFL worklight. It would be a great option when the standard Ridgid flashlight isn't ideal for the job: I'm thinking of elec. service changes/upgrades- nothing worse than terminating a panel in the dark, using only a flashlight.

So how well does it work??

Re: Ridgid R869- Compact fluorescent (CFL light bulb) flood light

Originally posted by A.T. View Post

So how well does it work??
    I have two of the X3 model, it is OK for general illumination purposes. It is very fragile, the bulb will die if dropped. Replacement bulbs are easy, a 9 watt CFL is what it uses. I do not like one thing about it, as it comes out of the box. If you try to use it to illuminate your work and the light is between you and what you are working on, the light is shining in your eyes. I have to put a piece of tape on one panel so I do not get sun spots or blinded while I work. The X4 light shows promise, I seen a picture of it, it has a LED bulb instead of CFL, and has two settings, a spot light, and diffused light. I will be fishing the Local Home Depots here in a while looking for kit returns the DMs will be parting out.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I'm glad I decided to ask. I was going to buy one of these. HD has them online for $39. Is there enough space to get a larger bulb in there?

I can see why you would have to tape off part of the lens. I guess the tape could also help cast/direct more usable light. 9 watts of CFL light isn't very bright, especially when flooded.

I thought I read that it has a hook for hanging. That's how I pictured myself using it, hanging it near the panel from an existing pipe or wire.

I saw the X4 light, or at least the combo kit box. They have the kits at my HD's. I didn't realize that it could be switched to flood. That's a huge feature. I was looking at the box with my friend, b/c we were trying to split up the kit. He called the light "useless". He also didn't know it could be diffused.

BTW, we weren't able to reach an agreement for splitting up the kit. We both wanted the drill and the sawzall, go figure... I later bought the X4 drill kit. Sick drill.

Hey, what do you mean by DM's? I've always wondered what they do with the under 90 day returned Ridgids.

Comment

I'm glad I decided to ask. I was going to buy one of these. HD has them online for $39. Is there enough space to get a larger bulb in there?

I can see why you would have to tape off part of the lens. I guess the tape could also help cast/direct more usable light. 9 watts of CFL light isn't very bright, especially when flooded.

I thought I read that it has a hook for hanging. That's how I pictured myself using it, hanging it near the panel from an existing pipe or wire.

I saw the X4 light, or at least the combo kit box. They have the kits at my HD's. I didn't realize that it could be switched to flood. That's a huge feature. I was looking at the box with my friend, b/c we were trying to split up the kit. He called the light "useless". He also didn't know it could be diffused.

BTW, we weren't able to reach an agreement for splitting up the kit. We both wanted the drill and the sawzall, go figure... I later bought the X4 drill kit. Sick drill.

Hey, what do you mean by DM's? I've always wondered what they do with the under 90 day returned Ridgids.
        They cannot be sold as new, and unless defective, do not get returned to the vendor. DM=department manager. i would double check what I said about the X4 light, I have not seen one work in person, I could be wrong. I only seen pictures of it here in one of the threads. Ask a tool associate for a demonstration on how the light works. Both the X3 and X4 have hooks, for hanging the light off of a 2x4 or something lesser in thickness of 1 1/2". The x4 lights will be hitting Ebay soon enough. a 9W bulb is all you are going to get in there. A 10W bulb is taller, the cover will not go back on, nor will the light work without it on (unless you stuff something into the microswitch)

In regards to your drill kit, how well do the new batteries work? Have you used any of the old LI-IONs we love(to hate) so much to compare the new ones performance to?
        Last edited by masterbeavis; 06-14-2011, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
          They cannot be sold as new, and unless defective, do not get returned to the vendor. DM=department manager. i would double check what I said about the X4 light, I have not seen one work in person, I could be wrong. I only seen pictures of it here in one of the threads. Ask a tool associate for a demonstration on how the light works. The lights will be hitting Ebay soon enough. How well do the new batteries work? Have you used any of the old LI-IONs we love(to hate) so much to compare the new ones performance to?
          I never thought of asking the DM for those tools. That's a great way to avoid paying retail. Do you still get the 3 year wrnty/LSA? Have you ever seen them "piece out" kits?

WORLD of difference between the X4 li-ions and the old li ions. When I bought the drill, there wasn't one on display. An employee opened the box for me. I tried out the battery in the display 18 volt fuego drill/driver, b/c I use that tool as my screwdriver so I'm familiar. I had never heard the motor that loud. Mind you, that X4 batt. had just come out of the box and only had 2 out of 4 bars on the fuel gauge. Right then I knew they'd fixed the 18v li-ions.

They have yet to stall (or whatever you call it when the X3(old li-ions) stops when you ask the slightest thing of it). They actually made my first generation 18v Ridgid circ. saw usable. I did a bunch of t1-11 cuts. I would have used two of my nicads to do those cuts. My X3 batteries would have laughed at me if I had tried it with them.

The new X4 batt. did all the cuts and still had 3 bars of juice. That was about a week ago, I think it's still on that charge.

And they're rated to be used down to -4, and charge at 32. That will really help out in the winter.

Comment

I never thought of asking the DM for those tools. That's a great way to avoid paying retail. Do you still get the 3 year wrnty/LSA? Have you ever seen them "piece out" kits?

Yes, they piece out kits all the time. That is why I have extra chargers, 5 extra batteries, a one handed recip. saw, an extra light, yada yada yada. You have to be in the right place at the right time, some stores do, some don't, some charge astronomical prices, others damn near give the stuff away. I do not know about getting the LSA on the tools, I have never tried on things broken up from kits. I would imagine however if you could get them to give you a receipt from the customer service desk with serial numbers of the tools you are buying that you might be able to register. Most items are available as a tool only. A UPC from the box is not the end of the world for LSA registration I have been told. Without a receipt, the 3 year warranty starts from the born on date.

Comment

I hadn't even thought about the UPC, only the receipt. I'm going to see how it works here. It's raining tomorrow anyway, no work so maybe I can find something good. There's 4 HD's within about five miles of here.

Couldn't I buy an x4 combo kit, return it, and buy it back a day or two later?

Comment

Couldn't I buy an x4 combo kit, return it, and buy it back a day or two later?
                That is dirty pool! It might not go in the clearance isle, and tool returns sometimes need manager approval. That thought has crossed my mind but I immediately remind myself that doing so would be fraud and essentially stealing. I also see the kits that come back either without batteries, or old worn out batteries. Who needs to buy new batteries when you can just rent new ones and return your old ones? It would be my luck that the cashier would open the box, inspect the contents, and I would be labeled one of them a$$hole customers. I am in my store too much, and get markdowns on alot of stuff to risk my tail by pulling a stunt like that.

Comment

HA, no, I wouldn't do that. besides the guilt, I don't want to mess up the LSA.

Comment

Update, I got myself the X4 light, the X3 light got retired to the shelf in the shed. I stopped testing the X4's run time at two 15 hour days with the new x4 battery. It showed 2 bars left.

Comment

Working...
                    X