• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R28600 Jobmax Corded!

Cactus Man

PS..
    The box says model R28600
    The tool says R2850
    I was in HD today and looked for the new tool but it was nowhere to be found. I wasn't planning on buying one but wanted to put an eyeball on it just the same. I did some looking around on the overhead shelves and found a plain cardboard box on which was written "RIDGID R28600 4 PCS" which if I had not read your post earlier today I would not have known the R28600 was the corded version of the JobMax. Funny thing was they (all four) are hidden up on one of the overhead storage racks, not down at shoppers level on display. There is not even a hint that the tool exists if you look around the tool coral.

Sad part is only Lowes benefits from this, because no one will see the RIDGID tool and they will go to Lowes and buy the Rockwell or some other POC.

I'm sure glad we here on the forum know how to run a business. If those HD marketing guys would just sit in here for a couple days we could set them straight.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Ok, have a few other review items after using it some today...

There is no trigger lock, which in all honesty sucks! It won't make me return it, but come on, it should be there. If you plan on cutting a long continuous cut, get your fingers ready. Also, the trigger is a little stiff considering there is no trigger lock. Cutting off door jambs today was a lot easier than with my dremel unit this replaced (burnt up) and a little faster than the battery unit. But, again, having to hold the trigger down blows.

And, did I mention the shorter cord was a disappointment, well today it proved my point that short cords are one of the reasons I buy Ridgid tools. I had to break out the extension cord today because every cut was 2' further than this dinky cord would reach. Please upgrade this tool to include the typical Ridgid cord...

Comment

Good point on the trigger lock. DO any of the tools in this category have a lock?
        My Fein MultiMaster has a on/off switch and a dial to set the speed but no trigger
        switch, so once you switch it on its ON. If you drop it its still ON, no deadman switch.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        ---------
        ---------

Comment

I kind of like the existing switch system design.
          I do not miss the awkward safety button you have to press
          and then press the switch to run. I find the switch large and comfortable.
          Keep in mind I'm a weekend warrior and do not use this tool 8 hours a day.

With that said I do understand the advantage of an "on-lock" position.
          I suspect you can thank our government and lawyers for the switch design!

I also recently used this tool under a granite counter to clean up the edges that
          meet the hardi board. The tool was comfortable to hold, quite quiet compared to my Harbor Freight unit.

Cactus Man

Comment

My JobMax came to the rescue this afternoon. I had to drill some pocket holes in place and a regular corded or cordless drill would not fit with the long pockethole bit chucked up in it. So I grabbed the JobMax with the right angle drill head and got the job done easy as pie.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 06-24-2011, 06:03 PM.
            ---------------
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

I stripped the Allen screw on my multi tool attachment too. M6-1.0x25mm machine screws from Home Depot fit. I haven't used it yet (I just got back) Any reason Not to try using the tool?

Comment

Reason I ask is the guy at HD said the screws I bought there were not hardened and He didn't know if it would make a difference. I don't wanna have the blade on this thing fly off in my face.

Comment

OK I tried it, It seems to be working fine. I didn't really like the idea of ordering the $.83 part from ridgidparts and paying $12.50 to FedEx it to me. Only thing is, it's a Philips screw; but hey, I bought a few.

Comment

Originally posted by edb View Post
                    OK I tried it, It seems to be working fine. I didn't really like the idea of ordering the $.83 part from ridgidparts and paying $12.50 to FedEx it to me. Only thing is, it's a Philips screw; but hey, I bought a few.
                    If it is just one or two screws couldn't they just put them in the us mail for under a dollar?
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

yes they could. Their shipping charges are bull. I ship things too and costs are way cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        If it is just one or two screws couldn't they just put them in the us mail for under a dollar?
                        Was only one shipping option available, FedEx ground for $12.50. I'd rather have a solution I can get locally anyway.

Comment

They probably charge as much for the "handling" charge, they gotta make up money someplace....
                          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                            I am unable to find this new corded Job-max tool on the Home Depot site
                            Nor at any home Depot in Phoenix, nor the price........

So..for the sake of conversation how much does it cost?

Cactus Man

The SKU is 615-485. Here is the link for HD.com.
                            RIDGID Corded Multi-Tool Kit - R28600 at The Home Depot
                            HD.com inventory checker is not working for this item yet. Cactusman I looked up the store inventory for the Phoenix / Glendale area. It shows each store has 3 or 4 in stock. I also had trouble finding the corded jobmax. Went to 4 stores before I could find one. Found it near the oscillating / rotary tools. It wasn’t near the 12v jobmax.
                            Last edited by Ambulance; 06-27-2011, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Ok. I am not impressed. I just went to HD(dot)com thinking it was a different website for the same place, hoping to find some new cool feature only to find out that it was some BS website for being especially chosen to take a survey to win a blahblahblahblah.

Maybe I typed HD(dot)com wrong?
                              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                                Ok. I am not impressed. I just went to HD(dot)com thinking it was a different website for the same place, hoping to find some new cool feature only to find out that it was some BS website for being especially chosen to take a survey to win a blahblahblahblah.

Maybe I typed HD(dot)com wrong?
                                Lol. Just remember you can only buy new Ridgid power tools from the Home Depot or homedepot.com. I've never been to HD.com. So I don't know if they sell any Ridgid tools. Maybe they have the plumbing stuff. j/k = just kidding. Sorry for the short hand type. I hope the clickable link was helpful.

RIDGID Corded Multi-Tool Kit - R28600 at The Home Depot

Comment

Working...
                                X