X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R28600 Jobmax Corded!

I just purchased the Jobmax R28600 corded model yesterday! They hadn't even put up the display yet for it. It is definitely a step up from the battery powered unit! I like the battery powered unit BTW. Couple things I noticed:

Newer model reciprocating heads (including the one included in this kit) have up the size of the allen screw used to affix the multi-tool blades and other attachments. I welcome this as the little allen screw on the original 2 Jobmax heads stripped out on me, so I am guessing this is the reason for the upgrade. I just wish they sold the allen screw, special washer and adaptor plate at HD for easy replacements! I have lost one of the adaptor plates, broken another and as stated, stripped out the allen screw head.

Sound, it is MUCH quieter than the battery model! I was much surprised at how much quiter it is!

Its got some weight to it, which I actually am glad about. I have noticed that the heavier the multi-tool is, the better they seem to work. I am guessing this has to do with the tool being able to stay stable and not vibrate and only the tool head vibrates causing it to work better. The handle does vibrate a little, but much less than its battery powered cousin.

Head attachment is WAY more precise. The head actually locks on tight and feels more like a one piece tool, something I think lacks a little on the battery unit.

Handle is a little big to me, wish it was a fraction smaller, but I have short fingers, so it might just be me. It does have the new Hexgrip surface, which I do like, and wish my older tools had it. I have the 12v drill with it as well and it is way more comfortable to me than the traditional rubber over molds. If I could only re-over mold my 24v tools with it.....

Has replaceable brushes, never burnt out any on any of my tools but a plus I guess.

Powercord actually disappointed me! Its not the typical cord that Ridgid uses on its other tools. No tool indicator on the end, just a typical cord end. I have kind of grown to like the tool indicator icons, especially when you have multiple tools plugged into a cord splitter, makes it easy to grab the right cord if you need to unplug a tool, so I have to give a thumbs down on that. Also, they cut the cord length to 8' from the typlical 12' on the other corded tools. Thumbs down on that as well as no velcro cord wrap, I absolutely love that on the other tools! Why did you not include that?

New style bag that fits the tool tightly, thank you for not including yet another Ridgid, junk drawer, dust collecting bag to clutter up my tool collection. I still miss the plastic molded cases, but these are better than the huge bags that always seemed to get in the way and not stack worth a damn.

Variable speed trigger is nice, and thank you for NOT including softstart on this tool, I REFUSE to buy anymore softstart enabled tools, I have a couple already, but will buy other brands because of it. I absolutely HATE softstart. Especially on tools like a jigsaws & sanders, its frustrating to use PERIOD. I sold my Ridgid jigsaw for just that reason, worthless tool!

Overall, really like it, and looking forward to using! Just a couple items I would like to be different, but you can't win them all I guess.
    Attached Files

Re: R28600 Jobmax Corded!

how do you feel this would do on brass screws? Are the ridgid blades universal with other brands? what was the price tag?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Cutting off brass screws? A breeze. I re-set my toilet (wax ring was not set correctly) and it zipped through the brass bolts like butter, sure beats using a bolt cutter or saw. If I set toilets for a living I wouldn't leave home without this tool. You can use any multi-tool type blade on the market with this tool thanks to an adapter plate that comes with it. The entire unit was 129.99+tax out the door at HD yesterday. I have found the Rockwell blades (at Menards in MN) are the best bang for the buck when it comes to blades and sand paper disks. HD majorly is dropping the ball on the accessories for these tools, kind of irritating to say the least.

Comment

Outstanding review. Buying one today for Father's Day.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

They should have had that display up about two weeks ago so they could cash in on the Fathers Day gift buying.

You can't teach a dumb dog new tricks I guess.

Oh, sorry, that's old dog. Or is it dumb old dog.

I don't remember I'm too old.

At any rate they're TOO LATE!!
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            Outstanding review. Buying one today for Father's Day.

For you or your Dad Ben??
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Me. My dad is more inlectual(see what I mean) while I'm more mechanically inclined. He works on computers.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I am unable to find this new corded Job-max tool on the Home Depot site
                Nor at any home Depot in Phoenix, nor the price........

So..for the sake of conversation how much does it cost?

Cactus Man

Comment

Cactus, it was 129.99 here in MN. I'll try and find the HD sku tomorrow for you.

Comment

Cowboy, have you tried any of the other jobmax tools that go with this? I was looking at the impact driver. any thoughts?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Not yet, but I'll give it a shot later and let you know. I have used them on the 12v handle and they work very well. I have all the attachments.

Comment

Well thanks Alphacowboy for the heads up on the corded Jobmax!
                        I went to another home Depot here locally and they had them "tucked away"
                        Even the salesman was unaware of the corded model! We located then after
                        searching for about 5 minutes!

I asked him why home Depot does such a poor job with Ridgid tools while they push
                        the Ryobi product all over the store? He really did not have an answer!
                        He even knew that they are made by the same factory!

Hey Ridgid why not a grounded plug?

I echo Alphacowboy's review!

Some of the harbor Freight blades work well with this tool.

I did not realize the kit included an adapter so I bought the Dremel
                        multi-max universal adapter...$4.00 to save a return trip.
                        It's good to have it on hand anyway.

This tool indeed works so much better than the Harbor Freight model [I have the single speed unit]

Cactus Man

PS..
                        The box says model R28600
                        The tool says R2850
                        Last edited by cactusman; 06-20-2011, 05:38 PM.

Comment

jobmax slated to come out with bunch of new heads, if the survey i took from r & d was any indication.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                            jobmax slated to come out with bunch of new heads, if the survey i took from r & d was any indication.
                            Hopefully a rotary tool as well as a 4" grinder would be awesome. What was on the survey?

Comment

For those of you searching for parts for the Jobmax and it's heads, visit M&D mower.com
                              They do not show the R2850 corded body yet.

Here is a sample for the R8223404 head

The adapter plate 692496002......$3.04
                              sleeve 692512002.....................$0.75
                              O-ring 560324002.....................$0.75
                              screw 661379001 m6x14mm........$0.75
                              cap motor pinion 562408002.......$0.75

They are in stock, priced reasonably, shipping is also reasonable
                              They also have parts diagrams and part numbers

Ridgid parts.com was worthless!!!!!!!!

Cactus Man
                              Last edited by cactusman; 06-21-2011, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X