X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RD6800 Generator: Lightbulbs flicker when using

I'm new to Ridgid and new to these forums. Thanks in advance for your help.
    I recently bought a RD6800 Generator from HD and when the power went out at home I plugged in some lights to it and they were flickering, bad, almost like strobe lights. It was annoying--nearly to the point of causing seizures. Okay, so maybe that's a little dramatic...but it was awful. I think I'd rather live by candle and flashlight.
    Anyway, I've never owned a generator before so maybe this is normal but it doesn't seem right to me.
    Can anyone clue me in? Is this normal? If not, is it easily correctable?

Re: RD6800 Generator: Lightbulbs flicker when using

Incandescent bulbs or CFL?
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Good point. Incandescent. I tried a few different lamps and they also produced the same result. In fact, I just fired up the generator through my transfer switch to test that out (I installed it after the power outage) and it makes my incandescent bulbs on the live circuits flicker as well. Bad generator?

Comment

Originally posted by DBallman View Post
        ... and it makes my incandescent bulbs on the live circuits flicker as well.
        You mean the lights that are still running on municipal power?
        Try this. Genny running, plug in ONE (and only one) lamp. No other lights, nothing else plugged into the genny. Still flickering?

Comment

Sorry. My previous post wasn't very clear. I turned off the main so no municipal power, then turned on the genny to test the transfer switch.
          Anyway, just ran outside with one lamp and plugged it in. Same result...annoying flicker.

Comment

I have multiple gennies (for different specific purposes) and none of them cause incandescent bulbs to flicker enough to be annoying.
            I've worked on hundreds of the Ridgid RD6800 and RD8000 units and never once heard a complaint about bulb flicker.

Take it to your local ASC for a checkup. Be sure to be very clear what you're experiencing. If I'm right about what I think is happening, you've got a bad AVR.

Comment

Sounds good. I will take it in. Like I said, I've never had a generator before so I didn't know if it was a normal thing. I'm glad it's not...I'd be really annoyed if it was. Thank you for your help!!

Comment

wouldn't the flickering be attributed to low cycles. instead of lets say 60 hz./ cycles, the gen is putting out more like 50hz. is the voltage regulator responsible for the speed and thus the cycles?

please explain doctordeere

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

The voltage regulator does not vary the engine speed. Engine speed is controlled by the engine's governor, which is mechanically set to 3600 RPM for 60hz (60 cycles per second X 60 seconds in a minute = 3600 cycles per minute). for 50hz, you'd slow down the engine to 3000 RPM.

What the regulator does is maintain constant output voltage under different loading conditions. It monitors output voltage and varies the voltage to the rotor's brushes based on what it 'sees'. As current draw (load) increases the voltage will start to fall. When the regulator detects this, it increases voltage to the rotor, thus increasing the strength of the magnetic field, thus increasing (regulating) output voltage.

Once in a while you come across a regulator that's got a bug up it's a$$ causing it to oscillate. When it does that, it is actually turning voltage to the rotor rapidly off & on instead of having a nice smooth steady DC output for the brushes. The result? Flickering lights are the most obvious.

Hope that kinda-sorta explains it. I'm far better at troubleshooting and repair than I am at explaining stuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X