X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Brushes, Shop vac, WD1851

I recently bought a WD1851 shop vac at auction. It looks real good, but running is erratic and the brushes are shot. As with most shop vacs, the motor is by Emerson. ANyway, I cannot find brushes, onloy complete motors. I can't drop $120.00 on a motor for a shop vac that HD has for $156.00 complete.

Anyone have a suggestion? I have tried a few local sources, think I could carve them to fit. They are .25 X .75 X 1.37 inches. Sort of the size that came in the generators on flathead Fords.

Re: Motor Brushes, Shop vac, WD1851

If you haven't already, go to the main Ridgid site and look up the nearest service center to you that services their shop vacs. If that part is available by itself they should have access to it.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I looked into this very subject within the last year or so, as I recall. Unfortunately, the motor brushes weren't available from Ridgid or through my local service center (I didn't call "others" though).

At the time, there was a similar post on this forum regarding a similar situation in which the customer had a relatively short lifespan on his or her Ridgid vac and was told that the "Lifetime Warranty" that covers defects in material and workmanship, did NOT cover motor brushes and that basically the "life" of the shop vac was considered over, once the brushes wore out. (Apparently Ridgid Engineering/Marketing has determined that "brushes" were the lone component of "lifetime" measurement.)

At the time I thought that this was just another misinterpretation of a dissatisfied customer and that something as simple as "brushes" couldn't possibly be the determining factor which would scrap-out a perfectly good shop vac (no other components being damaged and a motor that would otherwise run perfectly).

That however seems to be true, unless of course these brushes are of a more "universal" size. I have two 12 gallon Ridgid shop vacs that have been running perfectl for a number of years now and would hope that when the time comes I can find a replacement brush set. I haven't taken them apart or explored this any further, simply because the vacs are running so well. Hopefully you will have better luck and if so, please let us all know.

Thanks and sorry this isn't more helpful,

CWS

Comment

I have resigned myself to carving a pair of brushes to fit. The difficulty is that most power tools have gone to "square shaped" brushes, 3/8 ths, or so, and varying lengths. Since the shape reminds me of old Ford (there are 1000's of those, with the copper clipped off, left under my barn by a former owner), I may try a Ford "obsolete" site.

Comment

I have just recently had to send my shopvac in for warranty work. Mine has the lifetime warranty on it. The warranty rep told me on the phone that brush length is measured to determine the use on the vac. She said that 800 hours is the life of the vac and if it had that many hours it would not be warrantied. Sounds like the brush lengh is only good for 800 hours. This could be why replacement brushes are not avaiable.
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Have you tired an ACE Hardware store?
            They do carry a limited assortment of motor brushes and you
            may find a size that fits the Vacuum

You may want to also check out E-replacement parts and M&D mower

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post

Cactus Man
              I did try Ace, on another web suggestion. They had none at all, but it was a fairly wealthy town. I will try one in a poorer Zip Code, that works with Sears. The poorer the Zip Code, the larger the tool and parts department.

I did try e-replacements, motor only.

Comment

I just talked to customer support. My WD1665 that I returned was found to be defective and my new WD1680 and extra filter was shipped yesterday. The lifetime warranty does work. Looks like a less than 2 week turn around.
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post

Cactus Man
                  Yes, I did try Ace. It was recommended on another site. Unfortunately, I stopped at one in a wealthy town. They didn't know what I was taliking about. I will try a poorer Zip Code. I learned that from Sears, the poorer the Zip, the larger the tool deparment and parts/supplies.

I also tried e-replacements, motor only.

Thanks for your reply.

I also stopped by a local, no franchise, family owned hardware store. I think they have some that cdan be made to fit. I was only there by chance and didn't have mine to compare.

I also notice that eBay has a large number of them. I will keep an eye there.

Comment

Working...
                  X