X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for thourgh thoughtful opinions about the best TS

Looking for information and opinions on a good all around cabinet Table Saw that won't break the bank. After reading bits and pieces of info on various threads here within the Ridgid Forums, I am hoping to have everyone's opinions in one easy to spot so I can make a decision. Things that I am interested in are, ease of set up, accuracy of cuts and able to maintain same accuracy after many cuts, best table as far as being perfectly flat and smoothness onto extensions, the better fence and miter gauge, able to easily move around the shop, 120 voltage, and whatever else you might thing is important to consider.

Being a Ridgid forum, I expect to hear and learn mostly about Ridgid saws (which, by the way, is what I'm considering because of the LSA), but would also be interested in hearing about other brands that some have had good experiences with.

Also, it would be nice for those of you that have, what they think is a good saw, to post some photos of yours and show what add-ons you've added to make your tasks and projects more easy to complete.

I've seem many posts that maybe the TS3650 was the best but availability seems to be sporadic and not always in the best shape. I am wondering if the newer models are of the same quality and craftsmanship as the older ones with companies seemingly trying to cut corners anyway they can now a days.

Basically, I'm hoping to be able to get a TS that I will be satisfied with as much in the future as when I first get it.

Thanks in advance for you input and suggestions.

Ron

Re: Looking for thourgh thoughtful opinions about the best TS

my guess is there is a lot of good saws out there,

usually the more weight they have the better they are as well,

a cabinet saw is probably the best over a construction type saw,

If I was going to get a new saw I would want a Delta Unisaw, of that is what my choice has been for the last 30 years,

but if the saw does not have a lot of vibration, a good fence is probably the next most important consideration in general, a good saw and crappy fence is not the best and even a poorer saw and a good fence helps a lot,

there are other factors to consider, (in my opinion) and you will only learn this from long term users, (how easy is it to adjust and set angles on it after a few years of use, or do you have keep the gears perfectly clean to move the blade on an angle or or up and down,

I would want a saw with solid wings (not any with holes in them, (I would prefer cast wings, but steel is better than cast with holes in them),

(to some people the guard is of extreme importance, if it is to you, then you want one that really works and is not in the way ever second you trying to use it, (most of the old table saw the guard if still around sets in the corner of the shop as there such a pain to use and in most instances more dangerous or can be than with out one),

I my self would prefer to opt for a saw that the motor is separate and not built in, even if the saw is old there are places that can rewire a good motor and if it is a glorified skill saw in upside down under a table, when it goes the saw goes,

one thing also do not over look the value of quality used commercial saws, (one can get single to three phase converters for three phase, and since table saws do not start under load a static converter will work fine),

the saw I have in my shop is probably pushing 60 years and could be older, it was for runner of a Delta Unisaw, Delta bought the company out in 1956,

so as to what saw to buy, I do not know but the less the vibration there is the better, and I like some table behind the blade,
    (I have a Rockwell delta 9" contractors saw, and there is nearly No table behind the blade and it is in a sense dangerous as there is no support for the stock being cut behind the blade, (I should put a link belt on it as the current belt makes the saw vibrate considerable),

(when it comes to fences, I like ones that lock both front and rear so if pressure is applied to the stock it does not flex, on my old saw it came with a poor fence, I faced it with a pieces of birch wood, and extended it and fixed so I could C clamp it down on the tail end of the fence, made a poor fence in to a good fence,

and the other alteration I did was extend the fence and the table wings on the right side of the saw to where I have 50" from blade to fence at max distance, great for cutting sheet goods, (my fill in extension is just plastic laminate particle board, with a an adjustable leg under it, and the last thing build your self (or your work bench) a table the same height as your saw, and that way you can set it up behind or off to the left side of the saw for complete support of the stock and make handling sheet good and long rips into a one person job,
    (in one shop I made two tables 12" wide and 8 foot long) and could move them any were for supporting stock for cutting, and making it easy for one person, (the current shop does not have as much room and do not have as nice of support benches as I had in the other shop,

those are things I would look for, in a saw, if buying new, or used,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

My dad has a powermatic (i think it is the first year of the gold painted tools) and that thing is a tank. He bought it used for 900 bucks in the early 90's. We stripped it, repainted it as it had been used quite a bit before we got it. They are nice saws, but expensive.

My dad also has a Delta x5 unisaw. Also a very very nice saw. If I ever need a full cabinet saw, I would buy the x5.

Comment

If you want a true cabinet saw and want to keep the cost down, start scouting around for a used PM or Unisaw.
        You mentioned 120V butI doubt you will find many if any true cabinet saws that run on 120V as most have a 3HP
        or larger motor which requires 220V.

If you are thinking of a hybrid saw, a cross between a contractor style saw and a cabinet saw, then the field widens
        up a bit and you will find saws that are powered by 120V AC. RIDGID and others offer saws in this category. For what
        you would pay for a used cabinet saw you can buy a new hybrid saw.

Do a search on CL for your area for cabinet saws. You'll probably be suprised how many are out there.
        http://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/2397716391.html <<-- here's one near you for $1500
        http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...470358789.html <<-- here's another for only $500, also not far away when you consider the price.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/tls/2449972681.html <<-- here's another for $1800 that comes with a Bench Dog CI router table and some other goodies.
        baltimore all for sale / wanted classifieds "unisaw" - craigslist=
        Last edited by Bob D.; 07-03-2011, 06:51 AM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I want to thank those that replied. All good suggestions, some a little more pricey then what I had in mind, but some good information.

Being that once I decide to do something, I don't have much patience in waiting for just the right deal to come along as far as in something used. Found some interesting TS's but it would require a lot of driving to check out with no guarantee that it would, in the end, be worth it. Plus the ones that seemed to be interesting were a little more than what my budget would allow.

So, I ventured to one of my local HD and found that they had two R4512's in stock and would require no sales tax. A flat $499.00 for a brand new unit. After considering some of the reviews on here, and reading quite a few pages of reviews on the HD web site, I decided that the R4512 would fit the bill for what I would be using it for.

Was pleased to find that there was no internal damage to any of the parts and started to assemble it. A couple of hiccups during the assembly, mostly because of my own doing, but all in all went very smoothly. I noticed that they must of corrected the issue with the casters on the lift system because assembly went without a hitch. I took my time and maybe spent four hours getting it all together.

As far as the finished product, I am impressed with the all around quality of this saw. All metal, no plastic short cuts that seems to be a trend now a days with most power tools. Everything was set pretty much accurate except the fence rails. Had to fool with that for quite awhile with getting the gauge to read properly, getting the front and back rails uniform at each end, and getting the extensions flush with the table.

And all for just $499.00, I'm satisfied that it will give me years of good work with little hassle. Now all I have to do is either buy or make some larger extensions and a couple more tweaks and I'll be all set.

Comment

Congratulations on your new saw, hope you have many happy hours of making saw dust,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Congrats on your new saw. For clarification, most true "cabinet" saws are 3hp+ industrial saws that have a full enclosure, solid cast iron wings, massive cabinet mounted trunnions, and require 220v operation. There are several hybrid saws that also have full enclosures, but most run on 2hp or less and will run on standard 120v outlets. Ridgid calls your R4512 a "contractor" saw, but it deviates from the traditional 60 year old design by moving the motor inside the enclosure as opposed to hanging out the back.

Here's a pic of the guts of a Grizzly G1023RL 3hp cabinet saw:

Here's the Grizzly G0478 hybrid saw that has underpinnings more similar to your R4512's:

The key to great performance from any of them are good blade alignment, and good blade selection....do a good job with both, and your saw should perform well for you. FWIW, I've heard the Ridgid Titanium blades (made by Freud) have been on sale.

Comment

[QUOTE=lreops;350222]
                Looking for information and opinions on a good all around cabinet Table Saw that won't break the bank. After reading bits and pieces of info on various threads here within the Ridgid Forums, I am hoping to have everyone's opinions in one easy to spot so I can make a decision. Things that I am interested in are, ease of set up, accuracy of cuts and able to maintain same accuracy after many cuts, best table as far as being perfectly flat and smoothness onto extensions, the better fence and miter gauge, able to easily move around the shop, 120 voltage, and whatever else you might thing is important to consider.

Being a Ridgid forum, I expect to hear and learn mostly about Ridgid saws (which, by the way, is what I'm considering because of the LSA), but would also be interested in hearing about other brands that some have had good experiences with.

Also, it would be nice for those of you that have, what they think is a good saw, to post some photos of yours and show what add-ons you've added to make your tasks and projects more easy to complete.

I've seem many posts that maybe the TS3650 was the best but availability seems to be sporadic and not always in the best shape. I am wondering if the newer models are of the same quality and craftsmanship as the older ones with companies seemingly trying to cut corners anyway they can now a days.

Basically, I'm hoping to be able to get a TS that I will be satisfied with as much in the future as when I first get it.

Thanks in advance for you input and suggestions.

RonH
                [/QUOTE]

Here is a nice Laguna Cabinet saw. And its only $2,000.00 I'm not sure of the voltage and the specs doesn't list it. I suspect 220v. Easy enough have a new circuit ran for the new saw if required. I wouldn't move it around the shop but would designate a place for it or you could always add casters yourself to the legs. Goodluck in your quest for a great affordable portable table saw/cabinet saw.
                http://www.lagunatools.com/tablesaws/tablesaw-platinumlt

Comment

Working...
                X