Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the new X4 models cost as much as dewalt?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does the new X4 models cost as much as dewalt?

Always heard that dewalt was among the most expensive tools on the market. A friend suggested that I look into rigid, he said it was a good quality product for a more reasonable price. However, after looking into it, the rigid x4 hammer drill costs the same as a dewalt 970. Anyone else seeing the same prices at their local home depot and online?
    Last edited by busdriver; 07-03-2011, 12:19 PM.

Re: Why does the new X4 models cost as much as dewalt?

Prices being the same..what would you buy?

Comment

Milwaukee.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I have had good luck with Dewalt and Makita in the past. The main reason why I bought Ridgid back in the day was I needed an impact driver and had a choice between Makita and Ridgid. The Ridgid was $30 cheaper but only had one battery (the Package boasted of a 15 minute recharge time.) Long story short, I would have been happier with the Makita, but had 14V batteries that worked with another tool I bought on clearance, the Ridgid Right Angle Impact Driver. My 18V Dewalt stuff was showing its age, my sawzall needed a trigger assembly, and something else was acting up (after 5 years of contractor abuse) and the Ridgid kit was on the clearance rack for $350. Long story short on that, the kit works OK, but I find myself hoarding batteries because they seem to not last as long as the old NICD Dewalt stuff I used to use. For some dumb reason I dont plan on switching back to Dewalt or anything else, but If I were to go back into history and have the choice again, and more $$ either I would have bought a Dewalt Sawzall from Craigslist or ebay, or went with the Makita. They seem to have the most products available for their 18V line, and have had excellent luck with their products in the past. Ridgid's selection is basic at best. The good thing/bummer about the Ridgid is the Lifetime service agreement, which is nice, but it takes forever to get stuff back. Everyone else has a 3 year on the tools, 1 year on the batteries.

The Milwaukee cordless line used to be bomb proof so I have been told. Now it comes from the same factory as Ryobi and Ridgid. I would like to think that maybe the Ridgid and Milwaukee would have better parts in it than the Ryobi, but who knows.... I would hope the batteries in the Milwaukee don't suck like the x3's do. I have heard that all manufacturers have had teething issues with the LI-ION batteries.

I heard a rumor that Dewalt is going to be changing their battery format soon, no more backwards compatibility going back 20+ years....
        Last edited by masterbeavis; 07-04-2011, 03:12 AM.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I go with Dewalt. The last Kit I bought was 18v Dewalt and that was Christmas of 2005 and all the original tools in the kit still work except the sawzall and the hammer drill......and both of them where replaced by a warranty that was honored at my local factory dewalt store in 2009 and are still working today. Even some of the batteries still work from 2005 but discharge quicker that a new one.

I really dont care for the lithium ion batterys,they seem to be more sensitive to hot and cold temps.

Comment

I've been using a Hitachi DV18DL with LI-ION packs for close to 4 years now without a hitch. I may not be using the drill as often as some, but have surely put it through its paces from hammerdrilling into concrete/bricks to running 4" x 3/8" lag bolts into pressure treated 4x4s to running a 12" x 5/8" auger bit into hardwood tree stumps for burning purposes... all without a hiccup from the drill or batt packs. Both packs still hold a full charge when stored and give me plenty of juice for any job I throw at them. The recharge time is nice as well.

The minor gripe I have is actually built-in the pack circuitry. If I put the drill under a very heavy load at HIGH speed, enough to bog most drills the pack will momentarily kill power to the drill. It's a failsafe to protect the drill and pack from overload, but can get annoying when trying to complete a task.

So in closing, I have nothing but praise for LI-ION packs, at least those that came with my drill. Based on my experience with NiCads, Ni-MH over the years, lithium is well received.

Comment

bottom line is lithium ion is new standard, like it or not

Comment

Originally posted by busdriver View Post
                Always heard that dewalt was among the most expensive tools on the market. A friend suggested that I look into rigid, he said it was a good quality product for a more reasonable price. However, after looking into it, the rigid x4 hammer drill costs the same as a dewalt 970. Anyone else seeing the same prices at their local home depot and online?

alot of prices dropped on dewalt 18 volt stuff because the new platform of tools are coming out in sept. Stores prob will clearance them out and web site will be main place to buy old platform. The ridgid kits are same price for upgraded x4 tools.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                  alot of prices dropped on dewalt 18 volt stuff because the new platform of tools are coming out in sept. Stores prob will clearance them out and web site will be main place to buy old platform. The ridgid kits are same price for upgraded x4 tools.
                  any info on this new line of tools?

Comment

Working...
                  X