X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x4 Hammer Drill Chuck Wobbly

Edit: I was contacted by Ridgid Customer Service and I would like to add a bit more to this post. First I must say, I have never experienced such a desire by a company to understand and correct an issue from something as simple as a customer posting on a forum. For them to take the time to read my post, check their inventory to compare my issue with the inventory they have on hand and then to actually call me directly to discuss my concerns. Thanks to Josh for forwarding my info to the service department and thanks to KC for taking the time to try and figure out what the issue with the drill was. He informed me they checked roughly 30 drills they had on hand for chuck runout and he took the time in explaining the specs they have on bit runout tolerances and sleeve runout tolerances. For example, the bit could be running true but the sleeve may be out slightly as it's a knurled plastic component and would obviously be more likely to experience variations in imperfections. In either case they are sending me a new drill and taking the old one back so they can check it out and go from there. To say the least I am very much impressed with the level of customer service Ridgid has provided, I have no doubt this company is definitely interested in making sure their products are meeting customer satisfaction.

---

I have an x4 kit and recently went to use the hammer drill for the first time. When I opened the chuck jaws by holding the sleeve and letting the motor do the turning I instantly noticed the sleeve was wiggling under my grip. I then let go and just squeezed the trigger full power to look at the chuck. I noticed the chuck has a fair bit of run out so I did a bit of a set up and I stuck my dial test indicator on it and pressed the trigger slowly to get a reading and it's out .015 and it doesn't seem to be consistent along the chuck either. It's almost as if the chuck is cocked to one side along the axis. I read the manual and checked the chuck for looseness etc so it's not that. I've had these tool maybe a month but was wondering if it's better to return the whole kit and get a new one as per the Ridgid 90 satisfaction guarantee or go through a repair. The other tools have been working great and I've been using them daily. I've alread sent in all my paper work etc for registering etc but it hasn't been processed yet on my dashboard. All that's there is the registration info I put in online. It's a bit of a pain to do it all over again... but I also don't like the thought of having some shop send away a brand new tool for repair if they can't do it in house right away.

Have any of you guys dealt with tool repair? What's the turn around like? What's ridgid like, do I call them first or do I just show up to the service repair store listed on their website?

I have a ridgid compact drill/driver so I'm not stuck with out a drill it's just making me a bit nervous having a new tool kit and having problems already. I also noticed on my impact driver one of the small black plugs where the belt clip screws on is missing from the opposite side. It covers the screw hole to make it look good. It's not a huge thing, I noticed it when I bought it but now that this second thing came up I think I'm starting to re-evaluate just exactly what it is ridgid feels is quality workmanship.
    Last edited by Supermanofsteel; 07-07-2011, 11:55 AM. Reason: Contacted by Ridgid Customer Service.

Re: x4 Hammer Drill Chuck Wobbly

Bring your receipt, battery and drill with you to Home Depot. Show the Tool Dept Manager your drill and ask to get a new drill. More than likely he will exchange you for another one right on the spot. Check the display drill and the new drill to make sure the condition does not exist. Call Ridgid when all is said and done, explain what happened and report the new serial number of the drill.

I was playing with the display at my HD, I did not notice any unusual amounts of play. The chuck does look cheap for some reason, it looks like a generic one.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Call Ridgid support, its just a chuck, they might just send it directly to you if you ask nicely.

Comment

Personally speaking, I'd address this first with my local Home Depot (I mean where you purchased it) and just go through the 90-day Satisfaction Warranty... unless of course you have a service center very near by.

Of course you run the chance that you may get another tool problem, but then I'd again return that.

The chuck fix should be simple enough and I would imagine that any service center should be able to have it fixed and back to you within a very short time. I had a similar problem with my 14.4 Volt drill driver and just kept putting it off. Of course the wobble was so bad that I'd snap off any bit that was 1/8 or under. It was only when I had another tool that needed service, did I send in the drill and it was fixed and back to me within the month... probably would have been faster except they had to wait for parts on the other tool.

More importantly I think is that you have the problem at all. "Wobbling" chucks seems to be a complaint that is posted too often. One would think that such a simple problem would alarm Ridgid/TTI and that they would get they're act together and tighten up the quality assurance efforts. Instead, this problem just keep popping up.

Are the other brands seeing anything like this? I wonder, as I've owned several drill in my lifetime and it is only the Ridgid brand that I am reading about. Also, considering that I have a couple of old Craftsman (made by Ryobi in the 70's) a Sear's "Companion" (late 60's), a Milwaukee Hole Shooter from the 50's, and two Ryobi's in the last couple of years.... none of them have "chuck wobble". Yet of the three Ridgid brand drills that I own, two of them had the problem, and had to be fixed.

CWS

Comment

I decided to bring it to the service centre, they are 15 min away so it wasn't a big deal. The guy said they would call me in a day or so to give me an estimate on how long it could take. He said average turn around is 1 to 1.5 weeks but in some cases if the part needs to be special ordered etc it could take 6 weeks. I told him to let me know asap how long because I wasn't going to wait more then a week 2 tops.

So hopefully everything will be good as new in a week or so.

I also put in the impact drill as well, such a minor issue but it ticks me off to have to repair these tools already. The guy said it would need a new side housing as the black rubber nib is molded into the plastic.

Ridgid in the states was closed today, I might call them tomorrow and express my dissatisfaction with their product line. :/

Comment

Superman.. please check your Private messages. (Link at top of screen) thanks!

Comment

I was contacted by Ridgid Customer Service and I would like to add a bit more to this post. First I must say, I have never experienced such a desire by a company to understand and correct an issue from something as simple as a customer posting on a forum. For them to take the time to read my post, check their inventory to compare my issue with the inventory they have on hand and then to actually call me directly to discuss my concerns. Thanks to Josh for forwarding my info to the service department and thanks to KC for taking the time to try and figure out what the issue with the drill was. He informed me they checked roughly 30 drills they had on hand for chuck runout and he took the time in explaining the specs they have on bit runout tolerances and sleeve runout tolerances. For example, the bit could be running true but the sleeve may be out slightly as it's a knurled plastic component and would obviously be more likely to experience variations in imperfections. In either case they are sending me a new drill and taking the old one back so they can check it out and go from there. To say the least I am very much impressed with the level of customer service Ridgid has provided, I have no doubt this company is definitely interested in making sure their products are meeting customer satisfaction.

Comment

Working...
              X