X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planer blade interchange

I recently purchased a NOS TP13002 thickness planer from Home Depot. So far, I am pleased with it's performance, other than the life of the blades. Granted, I have ran approx. 900 ln. ft. of #2+, white oak through it, making 10 or so passes to get it down to where I wanted it. I've gone through two sets of blades doing this.

I was looking at the Home Depot site for blades, and clicked on the wrong set of blades. They were for the R4330. On closer inspection, I noticed those blades also fit the TP1300. It makes sense to me, to buy two pkgs., with 3 blades, for 2 cents more if they will actually fit, giving me 3 sets of blades for my TP1300. I called Ridgid Tech support this morning, to see if in fact they would. Had the guy befuddled for a minute, then he called in his supervisor. According to his super, the blades for the R4330 are thicker, and will not work in the TP1300.

So..., has anyone tried the R4330 blades in their TP1300..?? I went to Home Depot today for a couple items I was needing, and stopped where the planers are to compare the two, if in stock. They only had 2 sets for the TP1300. I'm guessing my best option would be to order them online, as they have free shipping on them, and as mentioned..., only 2 cents more, for the three blade pack, over the two blade set.

Does online tech support know anything more, than when you call on the phone..??

Any help appreciated..!!

Re: Planer blade interchange

IMHO, the unfortunate answer to your question is, no. and in today's litigious society, i'd be surprised if any tech/CS rep suggested using anything other than the manufacturers prescribed part in a machine of any kind. personally, i'd try the 4330 blades. use a caliper to check the actual thickness yourself. if you don't like the way they perform in the 1300, return them. just exercise caution on start up to ensure that, if there is a dimensional difference, it doesn't interfere with machine operation.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Welcome to the Ridgid forum

I'm not sure why whatever you read said that the 4330 blades would fit, but I am not a believer and I think the information is wrong. I have the 1300, purchasing the last one my local HD had. I don't care for the 4330 and think that the TP1300 is the better machine, despite it's 2-blade cutting head (the 4330 has 3). But of course, that's neither here nor there with regard to the blade pak.

My local store normally carries both blade packs and they are priced the same. The 2-blade pack (AC8630) used with the TP1300 are wider than the blades in the 3-pack used with the R4330. Since the blades sit firmly into position and are not adjustable, I can't imagine them to be interchangeable. It would seem that the narrower 4330 blades would simply set far too down in the cutting head, while the wider blades would set much to high if used on the 4330 head.

Your Home Depot should stock both types of blades as was directive a couple of years ago. Of course, things do change... I'll have to check my local BORG to see if that is still the case.

As far as longevity is concerned, I can't speak from experience as my TP1300 is still sitting NIB. Simply no room here in my small little basement shop and once again, my garage expansion is delayed. (Sad, as I also have a NIB Ridgid Jointer that has yet to be unpacked.)

But, white oak is rather hard and you've made a substantial number of passes given your description. Hopefully one of the veteran users with provide you with their experience.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks for the reply's guys... I copied and pasted directly from the Home Depot site, the description for the R4330 blade pack. I didn't read it directly on the package itself, as you can't enlarge the picture enough.

I did however get a reply from Ridgid Tech support, via email... Nope, won't fit... Too thick, and notches are different. So guess I'll fire an email back to customer support, and include the HD description of said blades, and maybe they will correct the description, and possibly save someone some dissappointment...

The RIDGID 13 in. Planer Blade is designed to fit RIDGID 13 in. planer models R4330, TP1300LS and AP1301. It is made of precision-sharpened high-speed steel and provides extremely smooth cuts. It is reversible, with 2 cutting edges for twice the life of a single-edge blade.
        • Designed for RIDGID 13 in. planer models R4330, TP1300LS and AP1301
        • Made of high-speed steel
        • Reversible, with 2 sharpened edges for twice the life of a regular blade
        • Shaves rough surfaces and edges for a smooth finish
        • It also fits Ryobi planer AP1301
        • MFG Brand Name : RIDGID
        • MFG Model # : AC20501
        • MFG Part # : AC20501

Comment

DJ54,

Thanks for the update. As a retired technical illustrator and writer it always burns me to see technical copy written with such errors. But, I understand that too many writers simply aren't provided with the opportunity to confirm the specs that they are given. I learned long ago that one doesn't write copy unless one knows first hand that it's correct. It's a matter of responsibility to your readers, the customer.

In any case, I'm glad that you explored it further instead of just proceeding with the purchase of a blade pack that you would have had to return. BTW, the skew on the Ridgid TP1300 blade (2-blades) pack is 358-845, if this helps. (They do fit the Ryobi AP1300 and supposedly the current AP1301, but I can't confirm that first-hand.)

Good luck,

CWS

Comment

I was in my local (Binghamton, NY) Home Depot earlier this afternoon and took a moment to check out the planer blade stock. They had both the 3-pak and the 2-pack blades, as well as DeWalt blades for the DeWalt model planer that they sell. According to the "veteran" orange-apron that is always in the tool corral, every Home Depot is supposed to stock these blades.

He was also quite clear that the two Ridgid planer blade sets (for the R4330 and the older TP1300) are NOT interchangeable. While I already knew this, it is nice to see that the sales associate was quick to ask what I was interested in and quickly pointed out the difference, without having me play dumb and ask. But, just looking at the two different blades, it should be clear that they are not interchangeable.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

My beef with Home Depot, and I suppose both Ridgid and Ryobi, is that while the stores in my town carry the replacement blades for the Ridgid 4330 thickness planer (and the Ryobi AP1301, which uses the same blades), and the older TP1300, they do not carry the replacement blades for the also older Ryobi AP1300 model that replaced the AP1301. (I consider this planer as superior to the AP1301, by the way, as anybody who takes even a fast look at both units will probably agree.) In addition, both of the HD stores in my town carry replacement thickness-planer blades for one of the Delta models - a planer that they do not sell and to my knowledge never did sell. They do this, and yet they have no blades in stock for the AP1300. They have no replacement blades for the Ridgid JP0610 jointer, either. This is not a particularly good marketing approach, in my opinion. You can get them by contacting the Ridgid/Ryobi parts people and having them shipped to you, but I would prefer the convenience of just going to the store and getting them.

Howard Ferstler
              Last edited by Howard Ferstler; 07-24-2011, 08:05 PM. Reason: Left out info.

Comment

Howard,

Apparently you are not aware that the Ridgid blades for the TP1300 planer will also fit the Ryobi AP1300. Basically the two machines are very similar in design, with the exception of "beefier" components in the more expensive Ridgid model. I have two extra sets of blades that I purchased at the same time that I bought my Ridgid TP1300 and it states on the package that they will fit the Ryobi AP1300.

BTW, I had been saving for the Ryobi AP1300 when they replaced it with the much cheapened AP1301. The latter was very disappointing, IMO. So, I just continued to save, hoping that I'd have enough to buy the Ridgid TP1300. When I read that Ridgid was coming out with the new R4330, I rushed over to Home Depot and bought their last TP1300, as I figured the 4330 was going to follow the same path as Ryobi and the new unit would be much cheaper built.

While I was surprised that the R4330 came out touting it's 3-blade cutter and a supposedly improved design, I wasn't at all regretting my purchase. As a matter of fact, I was a bit pissed at Home Depot (my local Corning-area store) as they totally denied any knowledge of the new R4330's existance or any idea when they might get one in. My concern of course was for buying the best machine possible and I would have liked to at least see the new model.

So, I picked up my TP1300 after work at 7:00 PM and then decided that maybe I ought to pick up a couple of extra blade packs, just in case they weren't going to carry them once the new R4330 was available. You can imagine my surprise when I ran over there on my lunch hour the very next day and saw the R4330 sitting where the TP1300 had sat. I was so peeved that I called corporate HQ in Atlanta and expressed my concern as to why inventory was being changed and why old models were being kept on the shelf and new models were being "hidden" in the back room. I also lodged a complaint with the State AG's office, as I considered this practice fraudulent in it's practice. (It's like going to buy a new car and after the purchase you find out it's really last year's model.)

In any case, I did get a call from the local store manager and an offer to swap my TP1300 with a new R4330. By then, I had examined the R4330 more closely and decided that the TP1300 was the better machine... so I declined the offer. Surely 3-blades will cut better than two, but the TP1300, like the AP1300, has a stellar reputation. Occasionally I read about cutter-head problems with the new machine as it has no locking mechanism. I think I will be happy with my "1300"... if and when I get the new shop built.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  Howard,

Apparently you are not aware that the Ridgid blades for the TP1300 planer will also fit the Ryobi AP1300. Basically the two machines are very similar in design, with the exception of "beefier" components in the more expensive Ridgid model. I have two extra sets of blades that I purchased at the same time that I bought my Ridgid TP1300 and it states on the package that they will fit the Ryobi AP1300.
                  CWS
                  Hey, thanks. I need to look into this. I was certain that the TP blades were thicker and wider than the admittedly rather thin and narrow AP blades. I must have been looking at something else. Ryobi charges an arm and a leg for the blades (odd, since there is no middleman with their direct sales), and hopefully the TP versions at HD will be maybe a tad cheaper.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

I was comparing a used Ridgid 1300 and a Dewalt 733 for my needs. I spent a substantial amount of time researching both machines and reading everything I could. Essentially I determined both are great machines and I would settle on the one with the least apparent abuse, price being equal. I decided to stop by my local HD to look at the the Dewalt 734 vs the Ridgid 4330 out of curiosity. Although the stor had the 4330 on display and all the printed materials referenced the 4330, the only 2 boxes in stock were 1300s. SInce the 1300 was discontinued in 2007 I was a bit shocked but immediately thought I might be able to buy a new (or better said, unused) 1300 for somewhere in the range I was going to pay for the used one. Remarkably, after speaking with the store manager and the tool manager, I was informed they were selling the 1300s for the full $399 as the skuy was the same on the 1300 as the 4330. Even after calmly pointing out the different model numbers, the differences in the machines and the fact the 1300s were discontinued in 2007, and the fact many HDs were blowing out their stock of 1300s for 50% off in 2007 & 2008, it made no difference.This wreaks of fraud to me. I will be very cautious in purchasing any ridgid tool from HD to be sure I am getting the model I intended.

Just my 2 cents...

Comment

Skyskidad,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

Well my friend, you have just ran into one of the most exasperating things about Home Depot (IMHO), they all too often have a real "head-up-their-***" appraisal of their stock! I have run afoul of such people so many times that it is truely a wonderment how this company stays in business. Worse perhaps, is why TTI and "Ridgid" wish to do exclusive business with them. Ryobi, Ridgid (power tools), and Milwaukee are basically all the same company (TTI) and I can only tell you that far too many Home Depot managers and associates have a clue or could care less what they are selling. Most don't have a clue as to the models (or for that matter many of the other products too).

I once had a friend who decribed dealing with Home Depot sales people as sort of like looking into the eyes of an "incredibly dumb dog!" That of course is an exageration as I've had many "orange aprons" help considerably and are amazingly knowledgeable. But, I do admit that these people are a rarity.

Good luck and again, welcome to the forum,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                      X