No announcement yet.

Are Reconditioned Tools a Good Deal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are Reconditioned Tools a Good Deal?

Doctordeere, great point on the HD/Ridgid ASC.

Reminds of Craftsman products. I was stunned about 10 years ago to find out that Sears was doing a lot of the tool warranty repairs in house at each store. Case in point ratchets. It would be once in a blue moon when we would have a ratchet issue from the 70's through the late 90's. Now virtually every one that we bring back for Warranty, the replacement breaks within a couple of months. When I questioned a manager at our local Sears about the failure rate, is when it was disclosed to me the new In-House service repair program. What made it even worse is him telling me that everyone in the Tool Department pitched in on the repairs.

Comment

The tool arrived on Friday afternoon in a box marked Bosch Reconditioned Tool. At first look I can see that it has been used somewhat but not obviously abused. The depth indicator is broken off on the plunge base and the scale attached is peeling off. I can probably get these items replaced. There are new sub base plates on both bases. The plunge base seems sticky to me but it's also the first one I've used, so that may be normal. There's a one-year warranty from Bosch and a 30 day money back guarantee from CPO. It sounds okay when started but if I use it I can't return it.

Anything else I should be looking for?

Comment

The depth indicator being broken off and the other issue makes me feel that this router was not reconditioned at all.
        I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

I agree with Badger Dave.... a "factory reconditioned" tool should look almost factory new! Actually, I don't ever remember seeing a tool at one of the Cumming's shows as being anything close to even abraded. I've no experience elsewhere though, except as I mentioned seeing "green tagged" tools at my Corning-area Home Depot which were hand marked as "reconditioned"... dirty, worn, and obviously receiving nothing in the way of care or refirbishing other than perhaps having an "orange apron" check them to see if they still worked.

My understanding of "factory reconditioned" tools is that they are basically (or at least most often) tools which have been almost immediately returned from the purchaser either because they didn't like them, or it didn't work properly "out of the box". Of course there are some who acquire a tool only to use it for a particular project and then return it because they are just "cheap" people who take advantage of the "return policy".

For whatever reason, once a tool is returned it cannot be put back on the shelf for resale as a new tool. (Unless it appears to have been unopened or not used... in which case the local manager might just return it to his inventory.) Once used, the tool is no longer "new" and cannot be sold as such. In these cases, they are returned to the producing company where there is most often a "recycling" or refirbishing process. When refirbished or "reconditioned" as it is known, the tool goes through a process where an incoming inspector checks the tool and sends it to the appropriate technician for a rebuild or repair. If the tool is really battered and considered not of value, then it is usually just scrapped. If the repair or adjustment is cost effective, then the tool is repackaged and sent to a distributor as a "factory reconditioned" item. Obviously some tools may only require a part, while others may be deemed as not worth the cost.

The results is that a true "factory reconditioned" tool receives personal attention and has been considered of working and resale value. It should not be seriously damaged, abraded, difficult to adjust or operate, and it should never contain damage or missing parts.

Bottom line is that I'd call the place that sold it to you and tell them what you received. They should send you a new complete unit and/or happily refund you money.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I don't purchase things on line call me old fashioned. but what your explaining doesn't sound like a refurbished tool it sounds like a broken tool you'd buy from a pawnshop. is the warranty a Bosch warranty or is the company you bought it from putting there own warranty on this broken tool. Id call bosch, see what they say if they refurbished it and its still broken they should care, and want to hear of any problems. Otherwise, it might be a possibility that a company has made a deal to get broken tools from some source fixed it inhouse and sell them as refurbished. When i purchased my milwaukee right angle from home depot i looked at there "refurbished" drill for a savings of about fifty bucks, behind the counter of there tool service center was a forty year old man that looked like he had just gotten home from a dungeons and dragons conference. Needless to say this encouraged me to buy new, i dont know he serviced there tools but that was the impression i got.

Comment

I bought a recon'd Ridgid combo kit from a "traveling tool show" named Cummins about ten years ago. Included a hammerdrill, sawzall, circ saw, flashlight, charger, and two batt's. Within a few weeks, the drill trigger stopped working. It still ran, only at full speed or not st all. It could no longer vary speed. I had it fixed under the warranty. It soon broke again in the same way.

The sawzall also broke. By then the warranty was done, and I didn't get it fixed.

However, I still use the flashlight and two batt's multiple times a week, and the circ. saw several times a month.

Go figure.

Comment

The tool warranty is through Bosch, when I called CPO they took down the refurb number and will coordinate the replacement part from Bosch. I didn't mention the plunge base operation, I've never used one and have nothing to compare it to. Maybe a trip to Lowes, Sears or HD to try out some displays will help.

I'll call CPO and ask about the plunge base operation. If the answer isn't satisfactory, once the part shows up, I'll install it and then return the tool.

Comment

OK, here is my follow up on Reconditioned tools.

I priced out a reconditioned ROTOZIP 2000 kit on Amazon a week ago, and bought it.

The kit is the same kit you would get if you went into a HD and bought it for roughly 149.00. I paid half. Comers with the Same warranty as new.

Out of the box it looked pretty good. All the attachments were new. The unit showed some signs of a little dust, so it was definitely returned used.

I took it over to the Bosch Service center and had the guys over there check it out. They tested it and saw no issues with the actual unit. What we discovered was the Adjustable Foot Guide that slides and clamps onto the unit would not stay on. The Snapping latch, (looks similar to the snapping latch on a Bosch Router) is not adjustable. Its either open or closed and in the closed position it does not apply enough clamping pressure to the ROTOZIP collar, so it slides off. What a Piece of ShiTZ design.

Oh, and that's not the best part. The whole time I'm there B.S.ing with the Bosch guys I'm thinking no biggey I'[m at the factory warranty center, and these guys have always been Johnny on the Spot for our company. Well, the Service manager was thinking on the same lines as me. He goes into the computer system and cannot get a Bosch parts listing to pull up for this newest RotoZip. Apparently that little marriage between the companies had not made it through the Honeymoon stage and the parts lists and ability to order parts by the Bosch Service center guys is limited.

I left with the unit, with the Bosch guys telling me they will do everything they can to get the part in and call me back.

Looks like all be calling 1-800-Fix my Frigging RotoZip in the next day or so. Oh, and makes the whole thing laughable is the big sticker on the unit that says, Remanufactured By Bosch.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                    OK, here is my follow up on Reconditioned tools.

What we discovered was the Adjustable Foot Guide that slides and clamps onto the unit would not stay on. The Snapping latch, (looks similar to the snapping latch on a Bosch Router) is not adjustable. Its either open or closed and in the closed position it does not apply enough clamping pressure to the ROTOZIP collar, so it slides off. What a Piece of ShiTZ design.

Oh, and that's not the best part. The whole time I'm there B.S.ing with the Bosch guys I'm thinking no biggie I'm at the factory warranty center, and these guys have always been Johnny on the Spot for our company. Well, the Service manager was thinking on the same lines as me. He goes into the computer system and cannot get a Bosch parts listing to pull up for this newest RotoZip. Apparently that little marriage between the companies had not made it through the Honeymoon stage and the parts lists and ability to order parts by the Bosch Service center guys is limited.
                    Ok, so some follow up:

Called RotoZip today and actually got a customer service rep in the corporate headquarters, (who knew there were still Americans doing Customer Service Phone work)

Anyways, explained the problem with the Depth Gage attachment. At first she had a hard time understanding what I was talking about so she goes over to a shelf in the customer service department where they keep a couple of models of each unit. (I guess to help them walk a customer through an issue.... Actually pretty smart concept, a customer service rep that knows there product)

She starts fiddling with the depth collar on there unit and guess what It fell off on her. She played with it some more and sure enough it duplicates what mine does. She was actually pretty surprised and was 100% sympathetic to the issue. So there going to send me a new depth Gage, (probably be the same Piece of 'S' as the one I have, oh well if does not work all break out the duck tape, ) and she said she was going to walk the there demo unit to the R&D guys and show them the issue.

Although I'm pretty irritated that the Frigging thing is dysfunctional, I was pretty stoked at the Johnny on the Spot, Customer service.
                    --------------------------------

--------------------------------

Hows this. We got a call this morning from RotoZip C.S. just to let us know the parts did not make it out yesterday, but were for sure going out today. Even if the think turns out to be a Piss of Shitz, you got to say, Oh Well at least there looking out for the customer better then anyone else.
                    ---------------------------------

Follow up. Well in true CS fashion we received the replacement guide on a Saturday UPS delivery. Two days from Wisconsin, not bad, ... not bad at all. Well that was the good news. The bad news, this guide slips off the unit just like the other one. Looks like all take one of the units and try and modify the clamping lever assembly so that it fits tighter. It truly is a design flaw that should be addressed.
                    Last edited by Watersurgeon; 08-28-2011, 10:54 AM. Reason: Update to service

Comment

Originally posted by tchads View Post
                      I've been looking for a new router and see that there are good prices for reconditioned ones at CPO Outlets. I don't want to end up with a tool that has been abused, but I may be able to save around 20%.

Anyone have any experience with this company?

Thanks.
                      I recently bought a reconditioned Ridgid table saw through Amazon/CPO. I live in the Philippines. I had the saw shipped to my freight forwarder who charged me an additional $300 to deliver it to me in the Philippines. So now I have nearly $800 invested in a "refurb tool". Well, the saw arrived in good condition, but missing a number of essential parts: rip fence, miter gauge, power switch, among others. CPO refuses to get the parts for me, telling me instead that I must work with Ridgid directly. I did not buy from Ridgid. I bought from CPO. CPO has a lot of leverage with Ridgid; I have none. I'd NEVER buy anything from CPO again, and IMO, you should not either. I'm 7000 miles away, with an $800 useless chunk of metal, and CPO is giving me an 800 number to call (does not work from here) that is more than 10 time zones away. They claim to be the largest online dealer in power tools, and to work towards 100% customer satisfaction. Well, I'm here to tell you, I'm 100% dissatisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by MLG View Post
                        I recently bought a reconditioned Ridgid table saw through Amazon/CPO. I live in the Philippines. I had the saw shipped to my freight forwarder who charged me an additional $300 to deliver it to me in the Philippines. So now I have nearly $800 invested in a "refurb tool". Well, the saw arrived in good condition, but missing a number of essential parts: rip fence, miter gauge, power switch, among others. CPO refuses to get the parts for me, telling me instead that I must work with Ridgid directly. I did not buy from Ridgid. I bought from CPO. CPO has a lot of leverage with Ridgid; I have none. I'd NEVER buy anything from CPO again, and IMO, you should not either. I'm 7000 miles away, with an $800 useless chunk of metal, and CPO is giving me an 800 number to call (does not work from here) that is more than 10 time zones away. They claim to be the largest online dealer in power tools, and to work towards 100% customer satisfaction. Well, I'm here to tell you, I'm 100% dissatisfied.

www.ridgid.jp
                        81-3-5403-8560

or this web site contact form:
                        Contact Us - RIDGID Professional Tools

Comment

Well said cactus man, I would not consider a reconditioned tool unless it was at very least 50% off new price. Perhaps then, it's worth the risk. As far as the cars that "survived" Katrina, I heard most of them were shipped off to auctions far far away, like maine or california to reduce the suspicions. After Katrina, buyers in maine would be much less likely to look for a water line in the trunk, than a buyer would in a neighboring state.

Comment

Working...
                          X