X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Reconditioned Tools a Good Deal?

I've been looking for a new router and see that there are good prices for reconditioned ones at CPO Outlets. I don't want to end up with a tool that has been abused, but I may be able to save around 20%.

Anyone have any experience with this company?

Thanks.

Re: Are Reconditioned Tools a Good Deal?

I have bought a number of Dewalt reconditioned tools and have been very happy with all of them, but one, and that was (what I think they missed, and returned it for a second one that did not have a cracked housing) and was well pleased with them,

I could not tell any of the tools were or had ever been used,

never bought any reconditioned Ridgid tools, nor have I dealt with the CPO outlet your post has in it,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have nothing against reconditioned tools and have actually purchased a few of them and been very happy with each one of them. However, for the last few years I've noticed that the prices on reconditioned tools seem to be getting too close to the cost of the new tool price for me. 20% below the cost of new is not enough of a discount for me. In my mind, a reconditioned tools is still a used tool and therefore should be priced like one. I will not consider any reconditioned tool unless the price is at least 35% below the cost of new. This might mean that I will never again buy reconditioned tools but if that's the case then so be it.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        I have nothing against reconditioned tools and have actually purchased a few of them and been very happy with each one of them. However, for the last few years I've noticed that the prices on reconditioned tools seem to be getting too close to the cost of the new tool price for me. 20% below the cost of new is not enough of a discount for me. In my mind, a reconditioned tools is still a used tool and therefore should be priced like one. I will not consider any reconditioned tool unless the price is at least 35% below the cost of new. This might mean that I will never again buy reconditioned tools but if that's the case then so be it.
        I agree with BadgerDave. I think the they CAN be a good value, but I don't think you can make a blanket statement. I have bought various reconditioned items over the years - last year I got blu ray that was basically 50% of new. Reconditioned tools are, for all intents & purposes, new. They should also have some sort of warranty - that should also be a factor in your decision, because I think it can vary.

As far as whether 20% is enough of a discount, again I'd say that it depends. If I'm buying a $50 tool, 20% is only $10 - not worth it...but if I'm buying something that's a couple hundred, it looks much more appealing..

Comment

I agree with Badger Dave!

First you have no clue as to why the specific tool was returned....
          Many may be single use returns or the original purchaser did not use the tool properly and returned it.

Then you have the abuse...someone buys a 3/8 drill to mix 5 gallons of dry wall mud and burns up the motor
          and returns it as defective....

The returned tools do get serviced. or remanufactured...but to what level?
          I believe you only get a 30 or 90 day warranty VS a 3 year new warranty and possible LSA from a new tool!

I always believed a used tool that is rebuilt or serviced has/had an underlying problem and thus I'll only buy new tools!

I have the same position on vehicles.. most used cars are on the lot due to a problem ...even though today many leased cars are
          on the used car lot....never the less a vehicle with 48,000 miles on VS a car with less than 100 to me means less hidden wear and future repair costs
          I'll pay a premium and lose on depreciation driving off the lot knowing everything is new and perfect.

Ever wonder where all those cars from New Orleans and other flood disaster areas have gone???? they have been detailed to look good but the electronics
          are shot yet they have the titles manipulated and auctioned off to places like AZ. Most folks look at clean pretty stuff and never look under the trunk mat
          for water line indications etc........

Now that does not mean I'll pass up a bargain, just that some stuff new is much better than the same thing serviced or refurbished!

Cactus Man

Comment

Make that three, on agreement with Badger Dave (such a wise man!).

When I first started to rebuild my interest in woodworking after retirement, there was this company called "Cummings" that would visit the local area a couple of times a year and they always sold Ridgid and Ryobi, as well quite a few mixed brand tools. While the variety and condition of these seemed attractive enough, I just never thought the price advantage over a new tools was worth the difference.

In all the cases that I can remember, the "warranty" was only one year. The price difference was anywhere between 15 and 20 %, but for many tools that might only be $15 to $20 and for even a stationary tool the difference might save you $80 or so over a brand-new tool. Now considering that with Ryobi the warranty at the time was 2-years and with Ridgid the warranty is 3-years, plust the opportunity to gain the LLSA, through free registration. Too loose half of the warranty or more just isn't worth it to me, for the limited $ gain.

Now (and I think this is very important to mention), I would NEVER buy a "reconditioned" tool from Home Depot! These are most always "junk", dirty and heavily abused and about the only "reconditioning" they might have is for one of the store employees to look them over. While I've never seen these in my Binghamton, NY-area store, they show up quite a bit in the Corning, NY-area one. They look like some local contractor just decided to drop them off and pick up something new. I have no idea how or why these things should ever be labeled as "reconditioned" and set out on a shelf or cart for resale!

CWS

Comment

Great topic as I am in the process of buy a RotoZip2000 and toying with buying a recondition unit.

Complete kits, new on Amazon run around $156.00. Reconditioned units in a kit cost around $79.00. Both carry a one year warranty.

The Recon. Kit is minus a couple of accessories that the new kits contain. The price difference when you add in the accessory items is still a $50.00 savings.

Certain brands I will buy reconditioned. Bosch for one, (parent company who owns Rotozip) The Bosch Service center is located within twenty miles of our office and the service guys there are some of the best I have ever seen. Not only do they try and service walk-ins on the spot, out of warranty repairs are more then reasonable. They also have a large selection of Rebuilt stuff in there center, which in some cases is negotiable.

If you asked me to buy a Dewault product reconditioned I would pass. We used Dewault exclusively in the 80's and up until the late 90's. When HD started carrying them it went down hill. Dewault to keep up with production starting assembling product in Mexico to keep up with HD Demand and we saw a noticeable change in product build quality, to the point our local HD who knew us would no longer take defective product back for exchange. (we were not the only ones brining back product)

Comment

Thanks Badger Dave, I did forget that reconditioned is still used and you never know how the tool was used or abused.

I was looking at a Bosch 1617 EVSPK Router that I've seen new at Lowes for $210 (Christmastime as low as $180) and it was on sale online for $150. Figured Bosch was a good brand and would last 20 years with the small projects I'm planning. I've ordered it as the sale was ending (30 day guarantee) and I'll post when it arrives.

Now I see a new Craftsman is on sale for $110 that looks a lot like the Bosch.

The general feeling seems to be that new is a better idea and worth the extra $ over the life of the tool.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  Make that three, on agreement with Badger Dave (such a wise man!).
                  Nah, more like cheap, frugal, or the ever popular, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again"!
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have a cheap friend and he likes to buy things and use it.....then return it to the store for a store credit. He did that with a weedeater and the store put it out on clearance for 40% off a few days later.......he bought it again with cash at 40% off because it had been used and returned. I called him a POS for doing that. lol

Comment

Yeah, I know a couple of those.... some people just have no sense of right or wrong and yet, they are the one's who scream the loudest if they feel "cheated".

CWS

Comment

I call that "strategery"!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                          I have a cheap friend and he likes to buy things and use it.....then return it to the store for a store credit. He did that with a weedeater and the store put it out on clearance for 40% off a few days later.......he bought it again with cash at 40% off because it had been used and returned. I called him a POS for doing that. lol
                          Yeah, I think you and I have the same friend, only mine used to buy TV's at Costco and take them back every year. I just laughed at him when Costco changed there electronic policy to 45 days.

Comment

Iv'e got quite a few refurbished tools, and am largely happy with them. They can be good bargains, but it really depends on the pricing...if the savings are there, I'll buy a refurb....if not, I'll buy new. Refurbished/recondition doesn't always mean "used"...sometimes it's just returned. I've grabbed a bunch of Hitachi refurbs from Big Sky Tools and have gotten some great deals.

Comment

Back when I worked for Milwaukee, recon tools had one huge advantage (other than the price point)... A recon tool, during the reconditioning process, had the one-on-one undivided attention of a trained technician whereas the new tools had simply been down an assembly line. Consequently, the failure rate due to defects was nearly 75% less with a recon than with a new tool. We had many contractors and big companies that would ONLY buy recon for that very reason.

And to address another point - the 'used to hell' tools and the abused tools never made it into Milwaukee's recon pool. Still don't.

Does Ridgid/Home Depot adhere to such reconditioning guidelines as Milwaukee did? No. Not even close. All Milwaukee recons were serviced by Milwaukee. Ridgid/Home Depot uses a network of ASCs. Their recons are only as good as the ASC and its techs, and the guidelines vary from one ASC to the next. BUT... the CPO recons are (or at lest WERE) factory recons.
                              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
                              X