X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4512 blade alignment

Hello neighbors. I'm having an issue with my recently purchased R5412 table saw and was hoping a fellow owner might be able to help me out. The problem I'm having is in setting the blade parallel to the miter slot. I have plenty of adjustment room to get the blade parallel but - this setting changes depending upon if the blade was last raised or lowered. Looking down at the blade - while raising the blade - the riving knife and back of the blade move to the right about .010" , while lowering the blade it moves back to the left the same amount, the front of the blade remains stationary.

So the way I now have it set up - the blade will be parallel as long as you raise it higher than needed and then back down to the desired height - if you raise and then stop, the blade will be out of alignment.

I also notice the blade is far from the center of the throat plate - way the left - is that normal?

Inside the back of the saw, I see machined surfaces on themotor bracket and trunnion that look as though maybe they should be contacting each other (see pic), on my saw they are apart by .054". If these surfaceswere in contact - the screw action when raising the blade would not be able to move it out of alignment. Could someone please look and see if they're saw is the same? Am I nit picking or is this an issue? If this is the way they all are, I can probably live with it - it still seems like a lot of saw for the money. I hate the thought of getting this thing back out of my basement and borrowing a van to get it back to HD, but if it was incorrectly machined, I'll have to take it back.

P.S. I went to Menards and looked at they're version of the same saw - the blade does the same thing. With the blade up high - just put anobject (a quarter works well) against the left side at the rear of the blade,lower it a little and then raise it - does the blade come away from the object?
    Attached Files

Re: R4512 blade alignment

Have you tried a search for R2412 in the forum? Not saying that to be that guy. Just suggesting it As there there should be at least one or two posts about alignment, upgrades and I recall a link to an external site as well.

I had a couple issues with my R2412 saw, including blade alignment where my blade was not 90deg to the table and alignment of the rip fence etc; and returned mine <90 day satisfaction guarantee. It wasn't worth it. Dis-assembly, transport 2 hr, re-assembly, attempt repair, dis-assembly, transport 2hr, re-assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by icerabbit View Post
      Have you tried a search for R2412 in the forum? Not saying that to be that guy. Just suggesting it As there there should be at least one or two posts about alignment, upgrades and I recall a link to an external site as well.

I had a couple issues with my R2412 saw, including blade alignment where my blade was not 90deg to the table and alignment of the rip fence etc; and returned mine <90 day satisfaction guarantee. It wasn't worth it. Dis-assembly, transport 2 hr, re-assembly, attempt repair, dis-assembly, transport 2hr, re-assembly.

Thanks for the input Icerabbit, yes I've been through all the posts involving the R4512. There are posts on the R4512's sibling, Sears table saw, regarding the same issue. One person even posted how he tried to fix it, but ultimately wound up getting rid of it. I have found that if I shim the gap between the motor bracket and trunnion the movement goes away, but - if I tilt the blade to 45 degrees, the weight of the motor opens the gap further and skews alignment.
      Last edited by Steve03; 08-18-2011, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Hi Steve.
        I had hoped one of those threads might have helped you. Unfortunately I have no other suggestions, personally. I didn't adventure into making adjustments to my saw (too much involved plus I needed replacement guide parts) or getting the local tech to do it. Hopefully somebody with experience with adjusting their saws will chime in.

Comment

Was there any resolution to this? I have the same issue on my new R4512 and would prefer to fix it rather than disassemble and return it.
          thanks

Comment

OK well I guess I'm replying to my own post... hehehe... I have the same issue with the blade "shifting" when I crank it up and shifting back when I crank it down. The back of my blade was shifting about .015 to the right when I cranked the blade UP. As soon as I moved it even the slightest bit in the DOWN direction it went back.

I opened it up and loosened all of the trunnion bolts. I mean loosened them so they were turnable by hand. Then I went around front and cranked the blade up and down a few times. Not full travel. Just enough to possibly relieve tension if something was misaligned under tension. THEN I backed both the zero degree and 45 degree stops out (the ones in the top of the cast iron table right in front of the blade). I didn't want to think I was running into those at any point in trying to adjust the trunnions into alignment. Then I snugged the trunnion bolt that's hard to reach (the one behind the motor). Snugged the other 3 hand tight and proceeded to work on blade alignment. After some try-and-try-again, I got the blade down to equal to or less than a thousandth parallel to the right miter slot. I aligned it to the right slot because that's the side I'll do almost all my cutting on. I did the alignment always making sure to crank the blade DOWN just a touch before measuring (if I had to raise or lower the blade). I did NOT do the alignment with the blade up all the way to the end of it's travel. Rather I raised it up until it stopped and then backed it down a turn or so on the crank handle. When I started, the back of the blade was about .007 closer to the right miter slot than the front of the blade. Now it's ever so slightly farther away than the front. Within .001. The "shift" is significantly diminished. It's now about .003 of shift which translates to about .002 out of square if I forget to lower the blade to height rather than raise it to height.

I can live with this.

Got my zero clearance insert today and my new blades should arrive later this week. I like this saw. Looking forward to working WITH it instead of working ON it... hehehe.

Comment

Hi Yardbird, unfortunately my resolution was to return the saw (big job,truck rental). I thought long and hard about it and came to the conclusion theunless you are a machinist, you probably can't fix it. I suspect the problemmight come from shipping damage even thoughthe box can be in good shape. When the saw is upside-down (the way it's boxed)the very heavy motor and arbor is hanging from the spindle unsupported. When the saw is upright the motor / arbor reston a machined slide. I believe a fairlyminor drop onto the bottom of the box might bend the spindle (hence the gapseen in the first picture). I've seen similar saws on display at sears and Menardswith the same problem. Home Depot wasvery helpful and offered an exchange or refund (was within the 90 day returnwindow). Considering the set-up time and struggle of getting it inand out of my basement - I took therefund. Hope you get it worked out, seemed like a very nice saw.

Comment

Working...
              X