X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Armature in OF 45150A Air Compressor

I have a Rigid 4.5 gallon stacked tank air compressor. I purchased it about 4 years ago, and it has spent most of its life sitting in my garage. It MIGHT have 10 hours of use on it. The last time I used it, I turned it on, and it ran about 15 minutes before quitting. The motor would make a humming noise but that was all. The armature shaft broke just before it goes into the back bearing. How this is possible without a significant defect in the material is a mystery to me. A replacement armature is $202.00. A new motor is around $300.00. I can buy a new compressor for $269.00, but since the "Lifetime Warranty" isn't really a lifetime warranty, i'm reluctant to buy anything made by Ridgid now.

Anyone have any alternative ideas on a cheaper way to fix this? The compressor and tanks are in excellent shape so I hate to just throw it away.

Re: Broken Armature in OF 45150A Air Compressor

I hate to say it but most of the time repairs are more than replacement cost,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Dien2Fly View Post
      ... but since the "Lifetime Warranty" isn't really a lifetime warranty
      The lifetime service agreement only covers Ridgid branded power tools made by TTI, and then only if you complete the required registration requirements. Your compressor was not made by TTI. It was made by Campbell Hausfeld and carries (carried) only the standard three year warranty.

i'm reluctant to buy anything made by Ridgid now.
      It wasn't "made" by Ridgid. See above.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

here is a possibility I was thumbing through the "surplus center"catalog a few nights ago, and came across this, Surplus Center - 1.5 HP 115 VAC AIR COMPRESSOR 5.7 CFM
        depending on how handy you are I am sure one could mount this motor compressor on your tanks and have a working compressor, about a $100 bill on the motor/compressor and it is a oil compressor, it a possibility and in a price that makes repair an option,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the reply's. The Surplus Center compressor looks like it will be a good option. I just hated to throw the "Rigid" compressor away!

Comment

The 45150A is an extremely popular unit for trim carpenters, etc.
            Keep an eye on Craigslist - I've seen several for sale with a good motor and worn out pump. Since you've got a broken motor and a good pump, $50 or so might get you where you need to be.
            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
            X