ryobi one ups RIDGID again!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryobi one ups RIDGID again!

A month ago i suggested an 18 volt RIDGID jobmax, ridiculous right? Saw today in store signage for ryobis new 18 VOLT! multi-tool jobmax that looks like fits all 5 of the RIDGID HEADS. What the f.

Re: ryobi one ups RIDGID again!

It's what happens when you don't listen to your customer base.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
      It's what happens when you don't listen to your customer base.

maybe ridgid makes 18 volt base too? I will be pissed if they dont! Multi-port charger, 18v grinder, 18v right angle drill/impact, 18v rotary hammer, 18v impact wrench, cmon!

Comment

remember that the same company that makes the ridgid cordless also makes the roybi and milwaukee and homelite. i think also aeg.

same hd. merchandiser stocks the shelves. he drives a milwaukee truck, but works all the above brands.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Anyone ever see one of these??
          RYOBI TABLE SAW BT3000 AND BT3100, ACCESSORIES,TOOLS,PARTS page 1

Some good ideas incorporated into the tool but the quality level is porbably not there.
          A vacuum clamping system built in the table top is one of the features of this tool.

And Ryobi will most times (in my opinion) 'one up' RIDGID because Ryobi is a TTI brand and RIDGID is just someone they make tools for under a different label (RIDGID), actually many appear to be AEG tools with RIDGID badging applied.

Just like the Hummer H2 was made by AMG at a factory owned and operated by AMG for GM.
          GM made the H3 for themselves at their own factory.
          The original H1 was pproduced on the same assembly line as the HUMVEE by AMG, no GM involvement.

GM only bought the marketing rights to the Hummer brand, which is the civilian line of the H1.
          They did not buy up AMG (a privately held company).
          Last edited by Bob D.; 08-19-2011, 06:14 AM.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            remember that the same company that makes the ridgid cordless also makes the roybi and milwaukee and homelite. i think also aeg.

same hd. merchandiser stocks the shelves. he drives a milwaukee truck, but works all the above brands.

rick.
            And they are making money hand over fist.

http://202.66.146.82/listco/hk/techt...1/intpress.pdf

Profit UP 78% over 2010
            Sales UP 11% over 2010

They've also decided that they don't need any outside help with new products (at Ryobi anyway), and suspended their idea submission program, so don't bother giving them any of you ideas for new or improved products, take them to the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
              i get that but why do milwaukee and ryobi have all the tools we want ridgid to make?

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                i get that but why do Milwaukee and ryobi have all the tools we want ridgid to make?
                Because RIDGID is not a TTI brand. They only make the tools for RIDGID they ask them to make.
                So if the combined resources of TTI come up with a tool idea they then decide what label it will
                best be marketed under, and that's where is goes. Why does the brand/label make a difference?

I think its what market sector they think the tool is best directed toward. In other words they would
                evaluate a tool idea and ask who would most likely purchase this tool. They do that in part through
                the online survey invitations they send out to people in emails. So when you say in a Milwaukee survey
                that no, you would not buy this tool at $79 that may move it out of the Milwaukee tool line down a notch
                or two to a line that is aimed more at the consumer grade tool/DIY market.

The tools that RIDGID markets are ones that may have originated with TTI or may
                have started with RIDGID but that RIDGID has Ok'd to be sold under their brand name.
                TTI may have marketing rights to the RIDGID name when it comes to WWing and power tools,
                but I doubt RIDGID is totally out of the the approval process. If it was my name going on the tool
                I would want to have some say in what is representing my company to the public.

All pure guess on my part, but it's how I see it working.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  Anyone ever see one of these??
                  RYOBI TABLE SAW BT3000 AND BT3100, ACCESSORIES,TOOLS,PARTS page 1

Some good ideas incorporated into the tool but the quality level is porbably not there.
                  A vacuum clamping system built in the table top is one of the features of this tool.

Thanks for the post Bob, I've never seen that Ad before.

That is the older BT3000, which was replaced years ago with the BT3100. I don't recall the "flotation table" attachment though. Perhaps that was just on that model as an option or maybe just from a 3rd party "franken-saw" maker.

I do have the Ryobi BT3100-1 which is a tremendous saw in my opinion. Quality-wise, it is well made, very accurate, and has some very nice features that are not found on traditional saws. "Quality" of course is in the eye of the beholder. It's not the heavey cast iron or granite and it uses a belt-driven, high-speed universal motor instead of the classic heavy-duty, lower speed induction motor. As such, you can't go ramming stock through it like it was a saw mill.

But, it will cut 4X stock on a single pass, has a positive locking 3-point fence, a sliding miter table with adjustable fence (offers much more "surface" than a traditional miter gage), and the accessory table (wing) is adjustable and is machined to take a router, if one is so inclined. Actually the "wings" (the SMT and the accessory table) are adjustable, sliding to the left or right for maximum support, and can be switched from one side of the table to the other.

Likewise, the rails are adjustable, can can be unlocked and moved to the right or left to increase the support area where needed for the stock.

I like these (and have become so used to the versatility) sliding "wings" so much, that it makes me wonder why other saws don't incorporate both that idea and "sliding" rails into their designs. The SMT is great for me, but often skoffed at, as I think most experienced wood workers are at a loss without thier "miter slots" (and option on the BT series).

I realize this is a bit off the subject of "Ryobi" introductions instead of "Ridgid", but I did want to take the opportunity to mention with regard to your posting of the BT. All the other points regarding the "subject" are right on though, IMO.

Thanks again,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    Because RIDGID is not a TTI brand. They only make the tools for RIDGID they ask them to make.
                    So if the combined resources of TTI come up with a tool idea they then decide what label it will
                    best be marketed under, and that's where is goes. Why does the brand/label make a difference?

I think its what market sector they think the tool is best directed toward. In other words they would
                    evaluate a tool idea and ask who would most likely purchase this tool. They do that in part through
                    the online survey invitations they send out to people in emails. So when you say in a Milwaukee survey
                    that no, you would not buy this tool at $79 that may move it out of the Milwaukee tool line down a notch
                    or two to a line that is aimed more at the consumer grade tool/DIY market.

The tools that RIDGID markets are ones that may have originated with TTI or may
                    have started with RIDGID but that RIDGID has Ok'd to be sold under their brand name.
                    TTI may have marketing rights to the RIDGID name when it comes to WWing and power tools,
                    but I doubt RIDGID is totally out of the the approval process. If it was my name going on the tool
                    I would want to have some say in what is representing my company to the public.

All pure guess on my part, but it's how I see it working.

so the ridgid sector is saying they dont want, lets say a jig saw? Whoever makes the ridgid decisions is missing the mark!

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                      so the ridgid sector is saying they dont want, lets say a jig saw? Whoever makes the ridgid decisions is missing the mark!
                      Apparently so.

Just think how many dual-battery powered miter saws they could have sold
                      by now if they had picked up on my suggestion froma couple years ago.

A sliding miter saw with a 7-1/4" blade powered by two 18v LiIon batteries
                      that could crosscut a 2x10 @ 90° and could miter a 2x8 would sell I think,
                      but apparently no one at RIDGID or TTI does.

Maybe Craftsman would be interested, I think I'll take my idea over there.
                      They are not afraid to market inovative tools, maybe not always the best
                      quality, but leading edge just the same and just as good or better than Ryobi
                      or the current Milwaukee garbage that will now bear that once trusted name.

Comment

Working...
                      X