X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunnion adjustment on R4512

Greetings all. I encountered a problem adjusting the trunnion as I assembled my new R4512. Got the bolts holding the trunnion loose, but there is no movement at all in the trunnion even with the bolts finger loose. Looked up posts concerning this problem on the net, and someone suggested I use a clamp to help move the stubborn unit. Alas, even with a clamp assisting me, the unit does not move one iota.

When looking at it from the access panel, the unit needs to move to the right, but it appears to be at its limit. Can't get leverage from the top of the saw or tap it with my hammer on the far side of the trunnion under the table to move the rear side. Just not enough room to get my hands in there and tap the unit.

The saw is now in my basement shop, and there is NO WAY I want to take up the HD offer of replacing the saw.
    Last edited by kwanjang; 08-23-2011, 11:38 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Trunnion adjustment on R4512

while it may be a great deal of trouble, removing the saw from the base and flipping it onto the table top would sfford much greater access to the under table mechanisms, including the trunions. BTW, were both the front and rear trunion bracket bolts loosened?
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by kwanjang View Post
      Greetings all. I encountered a problem adjusting the trunnion as I assembled my new R4512. Got the bolts holding the trunnion loose, but there is no movement at all in the trunnion even with the bolts finger loose. Looked up posts concerning this problem on the net, and someone suggested I use a clamp to help move the stubborn unit. Alas, even with a clamp assisting me, the unit does not move one iota.

When looking at it from the access panel, the unit needs to move to the right, but it appears to be at its limit. Can't get leverage from the top of the saw or tap it with my hammer on the far side of the trunnion under the table to move the rear side. Just not enough room to get my hands in there and tap the unit.

The saw is now in my basement shop, and there is NO WAY I want to take up the HD offer of replacing the saw.

I would try to move the front over in the opposite direction. I was able to adjust mine by loosening all 4 bolts, then just snuging the left front (the hard one to get at) to use as a pivot. I would also be curious to know while you're in there , if your blade alignment changes at all when you raise / lower the blade and if the machined surfaces between the motor bracket and trunnion are in contact or if there is a gap.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I had come to the same conclusion to flip the saw over. I tried to move the rear trunnion (looking from the access panel), but there is no movement at all. Ridgid suggested I exchange it, but I think I'll try the flip suggestion first. I appreciate the come backs
        Rudy

Comment

Working...
        X