X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RD8000 oops?

I was testing my Ridgid 8000w generator yesterday, had it connected to 2 loads (small space heater and halogen worklamp set), but forgot to unplug the loads BEFORE turning off the generator.

I know the manual says not to do this, and I usually do but for some reason yesterday I didnt.

Do you think I damaged the generator? Im going to re-test it today to be sure but figured Id ask here maybe to put myself at ease before I can make it back home to try it

Im not worried about the loads themselves being damaged, they are basically there just to put a draw on the generator during testing.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Re: RD8000 oops?

doctordeere will know for sure.

but i believe they recommend this as when the generator is stopping, the power is reduced and it might affect the item you have plugged in and running by under voltage/ brown out.

i don't believe you will hurt the generator. pretty much the same affect as running out of fuel.

a heater and a lamp is pretty much a resistor. i would think that something like a computer would feel the affect more.

rick
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks, thats kinda what I was thinking but wasnt sure. Like I said im not too concerned about the loads, we dont use them for anything they just happened to be sitting in the garage.

Gotta make sure the gen. works with Irene coming our way! (maybe)

Comment

you sure you're still not edge with the big quake

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

You mean this one?

DC Earthquake Devastation - jmckinley's posterous

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
            Do you think I damaged the generator?
            Possibly, but probably not.
            What can happen on some generators is that as the generator slows down and power starts dropping, the regulator struggles to maintain voltage by increasing voltage to the brushes. That can damage the regulator. It won't hurt the stator or rotor - which are the expensive pieces.

Some generator's regulators avoid this by monitoring frequency (hertz) and shutting down brush voltage if the frequency, which is determined by engine RPM, drops below a certain threshold. I believe the Ridgid units do this although I've never tested it out.
            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
              Possibly, but probably not.
              What can happen on some generators is that as the generator slows down and power starts dropping, the regulator struggles to maintain voltage by increasing voltage to the brushes. That can damage the regulator. It won't hurt the stator or rotor - which are the expensive pieces.

Some generator's regulators avoid this by monitoring frequency (hertz) and shutting down brush voltage if the frequency, which is determined by engine RPM, drops below a certain threshold. I believe the Ridgid units do this although I've never tested it out.
              Thanks for the info.

Any way to test for the damage? If the regulator is the issue it sounds like the generator might output electricity, but not at a consistent voltage?

Comment

When the regulator goes tits-up, you gots no juice. At all.
                Maybe a bit of smoke and stink, but no juice.
                Test it by firing it up. If the GenSmart panel comes on, you're good to go.

You had a relatively small load on it. It's an 8k gennie and you were working maybe 2-2.5k tops. I really, really doubt any damage occurred. And if it did, by some miracle of epic proportions, the regulator is the least expensive doo-dad in the genset.
                Last edited by Doctordeere; 08-25-2011, 01:30 PM.
                "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                  When the regulator goes tits-up, you gots no juice. At all.
                  Maybe a bit of smoke and stink, but no juice.
                  Test it by firing it up. If the GenSmart panel comes on, you're good to go.

You had a relatively small load on it. It's an 8k gennie and you were working maybe 2-2.5k tops. I really, really doubt any damage occurred. And if it did, by some miracle of epic proportions, the regulator is the least expensive doo-dad in the genset.
                  Thanks for the hope The panel was reading about 46% load with the halogens on full blast (not sure if they were 500w total or 1Kw total) and the space heater doing its thing. I meant to run home during lunch to fire it up but didnt make it, so the suspense will kill me until I get out of work in a few hours and can fire it up.

Comment

All is well. Fired it up again yesterday, panel came on with 0% load....added a load just to make sure everything was working, and this time removed the load before shutting it all down.

Looks like we might actually get some of this hurricane/tropical storm, I might finally get to use my generator for things other than testing the generator

Comment

Working...
                    X