X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find a replacement hairline pointer for Ridgid Drill Press

I have the Ridgid Drill Press and the little acrylic hairline pointer for the depth scale broke. It is Ridgid/Ryobi part #826057. Does anyone know where I might find this $0.99 item? I ordered a couple from eReplacementParts.com about the middle of July, but am told they are on back order with the manufacturer, ETA unknon. I've emailed a few other sites that would normally sell it, but no one seems to have it. This is a shame, as this part is easy to break.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
    There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Re: Trying to find a replacement hairline pointer for Ridgid Drill Press

Easy to break? Perhaps; I have had my drill press in operation for five or six years now and I don't think I've even scratched it.

Whatever... you could just make a temporary one. I say that without going down to the shop to look at it (it's too late in the evening) though. But, I've made "pointers" for a couple of other things, just out of scraps of clear plastic; usually from a CD case or something similar. Just use a razor knife or saw (like X-acto) to cut it to size, drill a hole in it for mounting (again, I'm not actually looking at the drill press) and if necessary use a hair dryer if the plastic needs a bit of bending. For the indicator line, simply use the point of your knife to scribe it on the back side a water marker to fill in the scribe line, if you need it to stand out more.

Not as good as the real thing, but will do until the part gets to you.

CWS

Comment

Have you tried Tool Parts Direct, they might have the part you want in stock.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. I tried about 5-6 parts vendors, all of whom have been mentioned here. Now, after having this little part on order for 3 months, eReplavementParts.com has told me that my order will be cancelled, as Ridgid/Ryobo/TTI has simply discontinued the part. I admit that these will not typically break, but the screw that holds it on got a bit loose, so when I rotated the drill depth collar, it hit the pointer a broke it right where the screw goes. I wrote to Ridgid Customer Service today, so I will see what happens. In the meantime, I will just make my own. I know it seems petty to quibble over a $1.00 part. but I have every major stationary tool that Ridgid makes in my garage, largely due to the "Lifetime Warranty". Guess I just could not see why they would not be able to replace a simple part. BTW, on their planer, at least the 2 blade surface planer that I have, it came with an extra hairline pointer.....
        There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

You didn't say how old your DP was, but you might find an exact or close replacement in Sears parts.
          It might be tough to find the model number of a similar Craftsman DP but if you lucky it might work.
          Sears parts for their tool line is pretty good, not cheap but they have had most parts I have ever
          wanted from them, even for 20+ year old power tools.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Have you tried these guys?
            826057 - 826057 RYOBI-RIDGID TOOLS PART 826057 - HC POINTER - TTI-826057 - RYOBI/RIDGID TOOLS
            Does not say out of stock

Comment

I you talking about this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	c43f27b57cd1fe391aed1d364d3c014f.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	15552

I have the "gray" pre-TTI drill press, but other than color I wasn't aware of any significant differences. While this little plastic washer-like pointer is nice, I can see it could be easily replicated from almost any scrap of vinyl or plastic, shaped from a larger washer, or whatever and simply be attached as shown.

But, perhaps the newer Ridgid 1550's are different in this respect.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks as always, guys, for all the help and support. You can see a photo of my setup below. The pre-TTI red cursor unfortunately won't work with the new drill. As you can see, I have my broken cursor gingerly installed just to show what it looks like. It cracked right through the screw hole and the other piece that broke off is gone. I think I will try my hand this weekend with some Lexan or acrylic sheets that I have from HD. The original is a nice nylon plastic, but this material that I have should work. I may take the piece I have into a Sears Parts Center near me and maybe they might have something. I know it seems like a big waste of time for a silly $1.00 part, but I am disappointed that Ridgid would have a 7 month lead time on this.

Comment

Aha... so that's the difference between the two models! You know that I've looked at this drill press several times and never noticed the difference.

I figure the delay must simply be in the precision engraving of that red line. (Really though, I can understand your frustration with why this simple little part has such a long lead time.)

You could simple take a piece of plastic (like from CD cover or whatever) and cut it to size. Then use the tip of a razor knife (X-acto) to scrip the line on the back side, fill it in with a marker, drill a hole in it and then use a hair drier or something similar to warm it up and then bend it. That should work well.

Or, you could simple take a fine piece of spring wire (like even a straight pin), and simple bend one end to fit the mounting screw. All you really need is something to act as a pointer.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Steve,

I looked at your photo a bit closer.... the casting boss appears to be identical, so the old red plastic pointer or anything that you make similarly would mount just fine.

Difference of course is the scale. The new "black on white" scale is simpler, and is more in the middle of the band and therefore a bit more distant from the indicator's mounting point... thus requires a "longer" window or point line, in order to reach the actual markings.

Here is a really simple idea (as mentioned earlier), I did this in less than five minutes (just this moment) and that included digging out the camera, some hook-up wire, a washer, and changing pointers and transferring the image to my computer:

Click image for larger version

Name:	8e350a6abe37210846ae913868533d44.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	15581

I left the insulation on only because of the contrast, and I didn't take the time to straighten the soft wire out too well, but you get the idea. If I were to do this for real, I'd probabably use a piece of spring wire, like from a pin.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 10-27-2011, 04:35 PM. Reason: Clarify the wording

Comment

You guys are great! Thanks for all the input. I did make my own hairline scale with some .093" Lexan stock from HD. I cut it to the right size, and scored the line on the bottom with a sharp box cutting blade, then filled it in with a fine red Sharpie. Cut the little Lexan piece on my Ridgid TS3650 table saw and rounded the sharp corners on my Ridgid drum sander! The neat thing about Lexan over what appears to be nylon on the original equipment is that it is pretty unbreakable. Also, to bend it, I did not need heat. I just put it in a vice and bent the piece by pushing hard with my fingers. It holds the bend nicely!

Again thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will post a photo next time. I know it was a lot of time spent talking about a $1.00 part, but we are all so creative that I guess we gravitate to these major challenges!

Comment

Working...
                      X