RD 8000 gennie use during the storm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RD 8000 gennie use during the storm

I went with the Reliance 31410CRK panel....10 circuits (up to 7500 watts, so Im leaving 500w unavailable from the 8K watt generator, but no biggie)...also comes with the remote power inlet, etc.

The only drawback I see to it is that it doesnt have 30 amp breakers.....the only thing that I have that uses 30A at 220V is my central A/C, but I do have a ductless minisplit that only uses 15A at 220V so I will wire that in, and we can huddle in that room if we need to because of the heat (added bonus is that it can also provide heat during the winter as well)

Gets excellent ratings on Amazon and the install looks like a piece of cake. Thats why Im kicking myself for not doing it sooner, I thought it was more complicated than it really is.

Comment

Anyone know who makes the RIDGID generators? They look very similar to the Generac XG line. I need a 12 or 15KW generator to be able to power my well pump and one or two other loads at the same time. If RIDGID offered a larger unit I would consider it, but I'm looking at a Generac from Northern Tool at this time. Haven't found anyone cheaper yet, are they out there?
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Are you referring to a "Standby" system or a portable?

EDIT:

The reason I ask is, (1), I hadn't looked yet as to what the XG line was. (2) I now see you were looking at a portable unit. I just got a Generac portable at Costco for $899.99 ( in Northern, it's $1,029.99) It is the GP series 7500 watts/9375 surge watts, electric start. Everything the XG series has minus the illuminated dial and the power bar. Items that I don't think I really need for the amount of times I need it for power outages. If you use it more often, maybe they are nice to have. Bigger engine, cheaper price, $899.99 at Costco was a winning ticket for me.

I plug into the house through a transfer breaker panel that only has six circuits. (1) is for two refrigerators and two freezers, (2) is for master bedroom lights and master bathroom and hallway bathroom, (3/4) are for the well pump, (5) is for three receptacles in the kitchen, one for the microwave, (6) is for the family room that has a 65" TV with satellite receiver DVR, Computer with all of it's peripherals, lights and wood stove blower in winter time. Generator didn't even hic cup running all of this, slight surge when the well pump would start up but then level back out.

Just some food for thought.

Ron
        Last edited by lreops; 09-01-2011, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          Anyone know who makes the RIDGID generators?
          Homelite/TTI - in China. Quality isn't exactly spectacular, to be honest (it's a Chinese made generator... what do you expect?), but TTI will stand behind their units unlike many of the other marketeers of the Chinese generators.

Generac units are what I recommend to folks who need a larger portable or stand-by unit.
          "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Who makes the alternator/generator "head" for it? I think that might be the most important question.

The engine is obviously pure Yamaha or Subaru, the only other important parts are the genhead and alternator.

I couldnt find much about "Armour Alternators", but at least on paper the specs seem pretty decent........less than 5% THD is kinda good, on paper.....just not sure it actually stands up to its claims.

Are the Generac portable units better than the Ridgids? Wondering if I shoulda bought a Generac instead, even though my Ridgid performed flawlessly for the past 4 days (we finally got power back today, woohoo!)

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
              Get this one by Kohler. Kohler dealer has to do the start up to preserve the warranty. Delivered its $4600.00 in the lower 48. It runs off natural or can be converted to propane in the field. It would be nice to have a big protected propane tank as a back-up to utility provided natural gas. I have heard rumor that the next storm 1/2 the natural gas generators are noit going to work because after a storm some lines are shut off and the ones that are not shut off are of deminished capacity.........so there are so many installed in the city now that they will be starved for gas.

Kohler 20RES Standby Generator - 20RES - 20kW Home Standby Generator (Composite Enclosure)
              I could go with LP gas since we don't have NG on our street. But I have been thinking about going the whole house route and looking for a diesel powered unit that I could tap into my heating oil tank for fuel. Diesel and #2 are basically the same but diesel has some additives the heating oil does not so maybe not a good idea but if ti wold run on heating oil then I would not have to deal with refueling or running out any time soon with a full tank. I can heat the house for 2 months on 150 gallons, that leaves me >100 gallons for the generator which could get me through a couple weeks.

Looking on Generacs' website it sounds like the manufacture their own engines and they are built for more rigorous duty (the XP and XG lines anyway) than the GP units. Cast Iron sleeves in the engine and a pressure lube system with a spin on oil filter are both good to have. Semi-solid tires and large fuel tanks are a plus too. For the hook up I want to use; the Generlink whole house unit in place of the conventional transfer switch with a few dedicated circuits; the XP8000E and the XP10000E will not work according to Generlink. Can't use a GFI'd generator they say on their website. So right now I am leaning toward a Generac XG10000E Model 005802-0.
              NOTE: Generators with Full Panel GFCI Protection (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) comply to OSHA inspections on job sites. These generators will not function when connected to a GenerLink since the home or building main breaker box also has a neutral bonded to ground. When both the generator and the home or building breaker box contains a neutral bonded to ground, the generator's GFCI will open and no outlets will function.

NOTE: Per the National Electric Code, all generators must have a "floating neutral" when used with the GenerLink Automatic Transfer Switch. Please refer to the generator operation manual for bonded neutral specifications. For use with Honda EB Series generator, contact your nearest Honda dealer.

If you are thinking about the Generlink, call Generlink first and find out if there are a couple extra hoops you have to jump through first. They have a list of all the utilities and any special requirements they might have associated with the Generlink. Generlink will tell you what you need to do if anything. When I talked to my utility a while back they had no problem with it but when I called Generlink the other day to find out about ordering one they told me I had to call the utility and talk to someone in the engineering dept and discuss with them what I wanted to do and to be sure to get the persons name as Generlink would have to call them back and confirm everything. This is all before they would even tell me how much the unit will cost though they did give me a range of $450 to 700. I am also wanting my utility to change out my meter so for me they might to the install of the Generlink as it is basically a plug and pray setup.

"When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

A friend of mine just pointed me here:

Diesel Generator* Diesel generators Hardy Diesel

LOADS of different diesel powered generators there. Might be worth looking into. He suggested something along the lines of what you are thinking: diesel generator powered by home heating oil. Either put the gen inside (near my oil tank) and exhaust out, or install another oil tank in the garage or similar spot and put the generator there.

My 8000w Ridgid got us thru 4.5 days of no power without issue, so I dont see an absolute need for something huge. The only thing I *would* have liked is an engine with oil filter and full pressure lubrication. I suppose if it ever came down to it, the Subaru engine could be replaced with something beefier if necessary.

Comment

That looks like a nice panel. I'm not sure which transfer swith I will get just yet but the reliance is in the running. The lack of a 30a breaker doesn't bother me either since i don't have anything running 30 amps. My sayno mini split is also 15A .
                  Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
                  I went with the Reliance 31410CRK panel....10 circuits (up to 7500 watts, so Im leaving 500w unavailable from the 8K watt generator, but no biggie)...also comes with the remote power inlet, etc.

The only drawback I see to it is that it doesnt have 30 amp breakers.....the only thing that I have that uses 30A at 220V is my central A/C, but I do have a ductless minisplit that only uses 15A at 220V so I will wire that in, and we can huddle in that room if we need to because of the heat (added bonus is that it can also provide heat during the winter as well)

Gets excellent ratings on Amazon and the install looks like a piece of cake. Thats why Im kicking myself for not doing it sooner, I thought it was more complicated than it really is.

Comment

Got it from UPS yesterday. It is a nice panel, the only thing I regret is not getting the model that has replaceable breakers. Not for the 30A capability, but because new breakers are easy to get locally. In fact its compatible with the breakers in my MAIN panel too, so it wouldnt be a bad idea to have a few handy. I dont expect them to die (even in the panel without easily swappable breakers), but in the rare case that it did happen it would be nice to know I can find replacements quickly and easily.

I didnt really look TOO hard at other brands...I know GenTran is popular but if you read one of the Amazon reviews on this Reliance panel they stated that the GenTran can possibly allow for backfeeding to the utility, DEFINITELY dont want that.

The only other issue Id like to look at is making sure the 220V off the gen is clean enough to not worry about frying the minisplit electronics. Im sure they are expensive (DC inverter technology, etc) so I want to protect them the best I can.

Just noticed something else to think about: the Reliance panel in question is rated for 7500w continuous input. This is OK for the 8Kw generator, because the 240V outlet on the gen itself is circuit breaker protected for 30A. Technically that leaves 500w or so available *at the removable control panel*, at least the way I read it. So you can technically run the transfer panel and a couple things off the outlets on the control panel. Might be useful to know, because you can still run an extension cord from the gen panel to something small (garage door opener, small sump pump, etc) that is on another larger circuit in the main panel that maybe you dont want to power up completely.

Also thinking of adding a power inlet that will accept the same wire the remote control panel uses....hook that up also to power the oulets on the control panel separate from the xfer panel, along with the ability to still start it remotely (hang the control panel right next to your xfer panel and you can keep it all in one place)
                    Last edited by chrisexv6; 09-02-2011, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I sent my Generac 8000 watt unit back to Loews. I assembled the unit and started it up and read 99 volts and than would jump up and down going as high as 129 volts. I have do regrets with my Ridgid RD8000, especially on Natural Gas and remote start. No need to go outside to start..

Comment

Originally posted by mdanehart View Post
                        I sent my Generac 8000 watt unit back to Loews. I assembled the unit and started it up and read 99 volts and than would jump up and down going as high as 129 volts. I have do regrets with my Ridgid RD8000, especially on Natural Gas and remote start. No need to go outside to start..
                        You converted the engine on yours? I cant get nat gas here but am seriously considering propane, mostly for heat and cooking but an added bonus would be the ability to turn the Subaru engine into di- or tri-fuel.

Comment

YES, I ordered the Tri Fuel kit from USCarb.Com in Summerville, WV. The install was easy and I also purchased the remote primer kit. Like I stated above I now turn the key from my rec-room and go to the 10 switch transfer box and activate what I want. Most of my home and the hot water tank. I placed a hard start capacitor on the AC compressor but not tried it.

The generator is mounted under the roof eves with the wheels and mounting legs off. I dug up an area around 48X 30 X 30 and about 1 foot deep and filled with rubber chips and pea gravel, I mounted the generator on 4x4s and 3/4 inch plywood.My friend designed an enclosure that breathes and contains a large fan. Its not a stationary generator, but works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mdanehart View Post
                            YES, I ordered the Tri Fuel kit from USCarb.Com in Summerville, WV. The install was easy and I also purchased the remote primer kit. Like I stated above I now turn the key from my rec-room and go to the 10 switch transfer box and activate what I want. Most of my home and the hot water tank. I placed a hard start capacitor on the AC compressor but not tried it.

The generator is mounted under the roof eves with the wheels and mounting legs off. I dug up an area around 48X 30 X 30 and about 1 foot deep and filled with rubber chips and pea gravel, I mounted the generator on 4x4s and 3/4 inch plywood.My friend designed an enclosure that breathes and contains a large fan. Its not a stationary generator, but works for me.
                            Id be interested to see the enclosure design...Im considering something very similar for mine as well. i too dont feel the need to have a stationary whole house gen, but at 8Kw it has as much output as some small whole house gens, so it would be nice to make it semi-permanent (i.e. permanent during and after a storm but stored away once everything is back to normal)

Comment

No problem, I will send photos later ...

Comment

mdanehart....if it's not too much trouble, could a few of those pics find their way to me also? thanks. FWIW, this is what i got for $25 @ HD on clearance for use at home:

Reliance Controls 20216A - 20-Amp (120/240V 6-Circuit) Indoor Transfer Switch

ous is old, made by generac with 56 manual circuits, but it's adequate to the task. no central a/c with a generac 4000xl, but with NG heating, cooking, drying and HW, our power needs are not large. during irene, that little 4000xl powered us and fridges at 2 neighbors. i was pleasantly surprised.

it's important to size the generator to your power requirements. as i said, ours are thankfully small. i feel for you , chrisexv6. CT got hit pretty hard. thankful our outage here was for only 41 hrs.
                                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
                                X