X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RD 8000 gennie use during the storm

The interesting thing about it is that it wasnt even a hurricane when it got to CT. I think it just shows how little we are getting for our massive tax bills!!

Anyway, that looks like an incredible clearance deal! I was never watching those clearances (too bad I guess!) but at least I have one now....will install it ASAP, considering Katia is lurking out there somewhere.

I was thanking my stars for our oil fired hot water heater.....it was damn nice not having to worry about where your next shower would come from. Found the junction box coming from the main panel, wired in a dongle instead and plugged it into a generator outlet.

My gen is oversized....not really worried about it. We rarely lose power this long, so I can suck up the fuel bill the few times it happens. Most of the time the 8000w generator was running an LCD TV and a DVR for the kids.........WAY overkill, but I was using maybe 4 gallons of gas with the gen on 12 hours. Not really going to complain about that.

Our power was out for about 4.5 days. There are still plenty of people without power in CT right now, but if you look at the overall progress by the electric companies, they are clearly doing all they can. Our provider fixed 120K outages in 4 days. The issue isnt how fast they are getting it back on, the real issue is why did so many people lose power so easily (again, this was a tropical storm by the time it hit us). Clearly our infrastructure needs some help!

Comment

Has anybody thought about or considered going this route:

http://www.theinverterstore.com/the-...pwrig7k2404860

Last edited by lreops; 09-03-2011, 11:58 AM.

Comment

...I think it just shows how little we are getting for our massive tax bills!!
        .....Clearly our infrastructure needs some help!
        Infastructure; if you are referring to the current condition of electric transmission lines and local distribution lines across the country or to telephone or cable lines are the responsibility of the utilities that own them, they are not public property. They are the property of a regulated monopoly.

The sad part is that your local and/or State BPU does or has little interest in pushing the utilities into upgrading or maintaining their lines. Same goes for phone lines. I could drive around the county here and without a doubt snap a photo every mile of some condition related to an electric or phone line that needs attention. And I am not referring to recent storm damage but to what should be routine maintenance of these important pieces of our infrastructure that have been entrusted to private hands. Hands that are driven by the bottom line and profitability not by reliability. With companies doing everything they can to maximize profits they do the same thing that our local governments have done...put off or deferred maintenance or needed upgrades all in the name of saving money.

But who reaps the benefits of these 'savings'? I doubt it is Joe the taxpayer or his friend Jane the consumer, for in the end when the utility or the municipality are forced into making the needed repairs it is usually driven by some event such as a storm. Now the repair must be carried out with urgency so as to restore power or communications as soon as possible. That means overtime and expedited procurement of parts and materials AND the added expense of clearing the downed tree limbs and/or whatever else caused the damage.

Now that 'upgrade' is no longer a capital investment that is funded out of company coffers but an emergency response whose cost can be passed on to the ratepayer 100%. This way it does not cut into profits or dividends. For local governments it is now an emergency appropriation of monies that they could otherwise not get passed through normal channels resulting in an increase in taxes to cover funding that you or I may never have agreed to otherwise. One that they hope they will be reimbursed at least in part for by FEMA or State disaster funds.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I think I've got it narrowed down to a Generac XG10000E from Costco for $1899.
          Haven't found a better price. Thanks to whoever suggested Costco, they were $250 cheaper than anywhere else.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

Originally posted by lreops View Post

Has anybody thought about or considered going this route:

7000 Watt Power Inverter 48Vdc to 240Vac 60hz Industrial Grade by AIMS

I would love to have an inverter for short power outages or for over night use, with selected loads turned off,

but the problem I see is the battery bank that one would need to feed the inverter, and even with the inverter one would need a "generator or alternator" to recharge the batteries, (I think in the end it may be a more efficient system), tho, (my thought was to set up a air craft type generator to charge the batteries, (batteries take a lot of maintenance to keep them in peak condition) (it would be great for short power outages, if one used a automatic charger off the grid to charge them when not in use,
            but to keep a 7000 watt inverter feed it would take a good bank of batteries if one was to go for any time period between recharges,

I would think it would be a great Idea for low power time use, when you may just want a few watts of power and to make that one is using a 10 hp motor screaming at 3600 rpm,
            but I am like most of you, the power is in reality fairly relable here, and the times when you need a generator is minimal,
            and from the main time we lost power in (1977 for 30+ days), I have changed many systems to back to a pre 1940 with windmills for water, and we have gas and wood for heating and cooking,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

mdanehart....thanks for the pics. is your unit powered by soemthing other than gasoline?
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Yes, Natural gas, the regulator is the silver disc to the left.

Comment

Go buy the Chevy Volt. I heard it has an inverter built in that can supply 120v AC.
                  ---------------
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

Has anyone tried the SuperTrapp 5S muffler? Its like a full size SuperTrapp made for small engines.

Supposed to be very quiet in automotive applications, wondering how well it does in our small engine application.

Comment

The storm has come and gone. Now I want to use the gen to power my new lincoln electric power mig 180c. Only problem is the welder plug is a NEMA type 6-50p 50 amp 250 volt three prong and the outlet on the gen is 120/240 volt 30. Need some suggestion on the power cord or adapter to use or make for this task. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X