RD 8000 gennie use during the storm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RD 8000 gennie use during the storm

purchased my first generator yesterday in preparation for the potential of a power outage during the hurricane. My thought was to run it a few feet from the house and run the 50' control panel extention cord through the window. Reading through some of the literature that came with the unit, it sounds like using it in the rain is a potential hazard. What are your thoughts?

Re: RD 8000 gennie use during the storm

If you have no place to run it where it will not be
    rained on, then I think you shouldn't run it.

DON'T set it in a garage or similar space, the fumes
    will fill the space in no time "(<5 minutes) and you could
    be overcome by the CO in the exhaust.

I am sure someone will chime in syaing they've done it and
    got away with it. But its not a choice you should make without
    realizing the risk you are taking.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

After the storm pass's the rain pretty much stops.Run it then

Comment

You need to keep it dry. Outside, but dry.
        Even a blue poly tarp and stakes will suffice as long as the tarp is positioned where the exhaust won't melt/ignite it.
        In an emergency, even a wheelbarrow flipped upside-down can keep it dry temporarily.

Use pavers or boards placed on the ground to keep it out of puddles. Shut the unit off via the remote panel before servicing (gas & oil) the unit - DO NOT TOUCH THE GENERATOR ITSELF IF IT'S RUNNING WHILE WET OR SITTING IN A WET SPOT.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Good advice. Thanks. Hopefully I won't have to use it for Irene, but If I do, It will be in the garage attached to 50' control panel extention cord running into kitchen window.. Wish I could start it from inside also without having to set the choke.
          Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
          You need to keep it dry. Outside, but dry.
          Even a blue poly tarp and stakes will suffice as long as the tarp is positioned where the exhaust won't melt/ignite it.
          In an emergency, even a wheelbarrow flipped upside-down can keep it dry temporarily.

Use pavers or boards placed on the ground to keep it out of puddles. Shut the unit off via the remote panel before servicing (gas & oil) the unit - DO NOT TOUCH THE GENERATOR ITSELF IF IT'S RUNNING WHILE WET OR SITTING IN A WET SPOT.

Comment

I plopped mine in our breezway (basically an open area with a roof over it between our garage and main house), with a Suncast deck box positioned to keep the direct rain off of it.

Unfortunately I had no choice but to leave it where it might get a little wet....needed the sump pumps after Irene took out the power at 5AM! Im heeding the warnings about not touching it though, I started it remotely and turned off the choke "in person" but after that I dont go anywhere near it. Debating whether its better to turn it on a little bit at a time just to let the pumps do their thing, or just leave it running (the whole "does it use more fuel starting up and shutting down than running" debate)

I guess the good thing is that my cable modem and router are hooked up now too so I can still surf the web....PHEW! What would I have done!

Stay safe everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Themadangler View Post
              Good advice. Thanks. Hopefully I won't have to use it for Irene, but If I do, It will be in the garage attached to 50' control panel extention cord running into kitchen window.. Wish I could start it from inside also without having to set the choke.
              I only have to choke mine once...after that I start and stop it all day long without using the choke.

Comment

Well, the boy and his new toy didn't get a chance to shine. The hurricane came and went and the lights stayed on the whole time fortunately for me. I know others didn't make out as well. Until the next storm.....

Comment

Soon the local home improvement stores will be flooded with returned lightly used gennys.
                  We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I bought one (6500 watt, not Ridgid though) about 5 years ago and haven't had a power outage yet. Figures!

In any case, I had long debated making a portable "doghouse" for my generator. It would have 2 or 3 sides and a roof, and the sides would be louvered downward kind of like shutters. The whole thing would collapse to flat panels, attach to one another with pins, and even have a couple anchor lines so it doesn't shift or blow away.

Comment

I sure wish my toy didnt have to shine, but we lost power at about 5AM yesterday and its still not back yet (and will probably be out for a while.....nice big limb tugging down the power lines halfway up our street.......I assume once they take that limb off *maybe* Ill get power back shortly after, but who knows)

On the bright side, the generator has worked flawlessly. No I wasnt smart enough to have a transfer panel already, but the removable control panel is the greatest thing ever, one line running into the house and a bunch of extension cords going to one place. Most of the stuff Im running isnt constant-on (fridge, hot water heater, etc) so most of the time the gen has very little load on it. It would have been cool if it had an idle down circuit, but I can live without it (and Ive read sometimes that brings problems of its own anyway). It saved me right after the power went out and i started taking on water from a basement window well.......I couldnt bucket it out fast enough so I fired up the gen and hooked up a small sump pump. Also helped us have a hot meal and hot shower last night, I guess its all about feeling as normal as possible (especially for my 2 small kids)

Just ordered up a transfer panel, one storm too late but better late than never.

Hope everyone made it thru OK.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
                        Just ordered up a transfer panel, one storm too late but better late than never.
                        You'll like transfer panel. I also plan on writing up an illustrated laminated manual so that my wife will now how to deploy the generator if I'm away.

Comment

Sounds like an interesting idea.
                          Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
                          I bought one (6500 watt, not Ridgid though) about 5 years ago and haven't had a power outage yet. Figures!

In any case, I had long debated making a portable "doghouse" for my generator. It would have 2 or 3 sides and a roof, and the sides would be louvered downward kind of like shutters. The whole thing would collapse to flat panels, attach to one another with pins, and even have a couple anchor lines so it doesn't shift or blow away.

Comment

My gen hit 20 hours last night, glad I checked the manual to see I needed to change the oil.

Unfortunately I didnt have the exact oil I wanted, the only 10w-30 I had was Pennzoil high mileage. Will probably stop somewhere and pick up something synthetic and change it again tonight.

Still no end of our outage in sight so Im treating the generator like its a baby!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your power loss. I know CT got hit pretty hard in some areas. Which transfer panel did you order? I've been thinking about getting one myself and have been trying to decide which would be best for my home.
                              Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
                              I sure wish my toy didnt have to shine, but we lost power at about 5AM yesterday and its still not back yet (and will probably be out for a while.....nice big limb tugging down the power lines halfway up our street.......I assume once they take that limb off *maybe* Ill get power back shortly after, but who knows)

On the bright side, the generator has worked flawlessly. No I wasnt smart enough to have a transfer panel already, but the removable control panel is the greatest thing ever, one line running into the house and a bunch of extension cords going to one place. Most of the stuff Im running isnt constant-on (fridge, hot water heater, etc) so most of the time the gen has very little load on it. It would have been cool if it had an idle down circuit, but I can live without it (and Ive read sometimes that brings problems of its own anyway). It saved me right after the power went out and i started taking on water from a basement window well.......I couldnt bucket it out fast enough so I fired up the gen and hooked up a small sump pump. Also helped us have a hot meal and hot shower last night, I guess its all about feeling as normal as possible (especially for my 2 small kids)

Hope everyone made it thru OK.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X