X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Shop Vacs?

Need a new one (the old guy broke down). Any good ones out there that are really reliable.

Re: Best Shop Vacs?

I bought a Suck-o-Matic from SMARTco about 15 years ago, and that little sucker NEVER broke down. I think you can still pick one of these up at sears for around 100 dollars. Does anyone else have experience with Suck-o-Matics? Maybe i just got lucky, but this thing is built tough.

Comment

I searched that on the Sears website, but didn't find anything. They must not stock those anymore. Any other suggestions?

Comment

We have had good luck with the larger Ridgid Units. We have a couple of these for at least seven to eight years;

16 Gallon Wet/Dry Vac-WD1851 at The Home Depot

Pros: The tool caddy bag on the top is a nice addition for storing all the attachments. The handle bar also provides it mobility and the ability to teeter it on the larger back wheels for mobility, plus pick it up and throw it in the back of a truck. They have great suction. Lots of different filters are available for them. Drain port in the front is a nice feature.

Cons: Our units have this stupid little filter meter, that is suppose to indicate when the filter needs to be changed. Frigging Joke. Five minutes use and the meter says the filter is full. I don't think they include this feature anymore. The front caster wheels on our units have recessed into the holders so much that the wheel no longer function. I am assuming this occurred from all the years of picking the unit up and throwing it in the back of trucks or construction sights. Its not a matter of replacing the wheels either, the actual point where they insert into the unit has been enlarged so new wheels won't solve the problem. The handle needs to be removed if you want to dump the bin. It pops off in a few seconds, just something you need to be aware of. You can dump it with the handle on if you want, for us its just in the way. Don't drive with the accessory bag full of stuff with the vacuum in the back of a truck if you expect to find all the attachments there when you arrive at your destination. (we now unsnap the bag)

Comment

On the discussion of shop vacs, I am looking for a better portable unit:

We have a couple of these units:

4.5-Gallon Wet/Dry Vac-WD4522 at The Home Depot

They were great when we first got them, however the issues we soon discovered were;

1. Both sides of the unit top have flip up doors, one side for storage;ie: cord, hose and attachments, the other side for the vacuum port and motor exhaust.

1a. The lid doors fall off easily. We lost two already.

1b. The handle, where it snaps into the lid is cheaply constructed so it constantly comes out of the lid.

1c. You have to have the vacuum port/exhaust door open to connect the hose to it.

This is a vacuum that falls under the heading, "Great in Theory, bad in Practice"

If anyone can point me to an alternative small heavy duty vacuum I would appreciate it. Oh, and I am not looking for a Homer Bucket Vac head.

Comment

I want one of the ones with a pump in it so you can be vacuuming up water and pumping it out the window at the same time. I think Shop-Vac makes one in their industrial duty line.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
              On the discussion of shop vacs, I am looking for a better portable unit:

We have a couple of these units:

4.5-Gallon Wet/Dry Vac-WD4522 at The Home Depot

They were great when we first got them, however the issues we soon discovered were;

1. Both sides of the unit top have flip up doors, one side for storage;ie: cord, hose and attachments, the other side for the vacuum port and motor exhaust.

1a. The lid doors fall off easily. We lost two already.

1b. The handle, where it snaps into the lid is cheaply constructed so it constantly comes out of the lid.

1c. You have to have the vacuum port/exhaust door open to connect the hose to it.

This is a vacuum that falls under the heading, "Great in Theory, bad in Practice"
              I bought one of these guys 7 years ago, I LOVE my little vacuum! Yeah it has some issues, like what you mentioned. What also leaves something to be desired is the amount of debris it can hold. Not much. The handle falls off, yes, but if you are careful, it wont pop off as often. I never had a lid fall off. It never bothers me to leave the door open to use it as a blower. I wish it had a longer hose however, one of these days I will purchase an additional hose for when I am vacuuming out the car and dont want to move the vacuum 4 times or have it in the car screaming in my ear.

I like the fact it is small, powerful, its a cube you can stack stuff around it, and for its size a damn good vacuum. I will take one of these over ANY small vacuum 100 times over.
              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
                I want one of the ones with a pump in it so you can be vacuuming up water and pumping it out the window at the same time. I think Shop-Vac makes one in their industrial duty line.
                Here you go. We have one of these.

CrUSAder Manufacturing :: Concrete Cutters Equipment

Side note: I actually posted a couple of weeks ago under tools this caption. One of the best things I ever bought. Used the search and could not find it. Looks like it got removed, but does not show up in my profile as such. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                  I bought one of these guys 7 years ago, I LOVE my little vacuum! Yeah it has some issues, like what you mentioned. What also leaves something to be desired is the amount of debris it can hold. Not much. The handle falls off, yes, but if you are careful, it wont pop off as often. I never had a lid fall off. It never bothers me to leave the door open to use it as a blower. I wish it had a longer hose however, one of these days I will purchase an additional hose for when I am vacuuming out the car and dont want to move the vacuum 4 times or have it in the car screaming in my ear.

I like the fact it is small, powerful, its a cube you can stack stuff around it, and for its size a damn good vacuum. I will take one of these over ANY small vacuum 100 times over.
                  I agree with you, its a great vacuum, I just wish it was built better. Yeah the hose length is an issue. Lowe's has a good hose kit, that has a nice flexible hose like the one that comes with the Ridgid unit. All be honest the abuse ours go through is tough, obviously more then the unit was intended to receive.

Check this unit out. I'm interested in your thoughts on it?

http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/g...0323&buyhide=1
                  Last edited by Watersurgeon; 08-30-2011, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                    I agree with you, its a great vacuum, I just wish it was built better. Yeah the hose length is an issue. Lowe's has a good hose kit, that has a nice flexible hose like the one that comes with the Ridgid unit. All be honest the abuse ours go through is tough, obviously more then the unit was intended to receive.

Check this unit out. I'm interested in your thoughts on it?

Lowe's - KobaltĀ® Wet/Dry Wall-mounted Vacuum Product Demo
                    Ridgid non plumbing tools from HD I don't think was really meant to be used (abused) commercially, if a home owner were to use it, chances are the only thing bad were to happen is the handle falling off after 5 or 10 years being tossed around. Mine fell off after 3 years when I had tried tossing it into the back of my truck. Reared back to give it a fling, threw a handle into the truck and got hit by the offended vacuum. If you ignore the big "no step" molded sign, it even works good as a quick step stool, or a seat.

The Kobalt unit? Wow, that is a nifty looking unit. A 20' hose? Unthinkable! If my Ridgid were to one day die I might give that one a try. At first I was like "BLAH, attached to the wall, BZZZTTTT, then it came off the wall and thought WOW! Chances are it will be discontinued by the time I get around to needing another small vacuum.
                    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Ridgid # 1851.

Big G

Comment

I really can't say which one is the best. I can say the limited lifetime warranty can't be beat. I don't remember the model number but it was the 16 gal W/D with the removable blower. The motor quit so I called the 800 number and got the info to ship the motor in for repair or replacement. 14 days from the time I shipped it a brand new 16 gal W/d vac with removable blower and a spare filter arrived to replace the old one. This is the only time I have had to use customer service for any of my Ridgid tools. I must say I ama very happy camper.
                        SSG, U.S. Army
                        Retired
                        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Working...
                        X