X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison: JobMax and Ryobi Multi-tool

I bought the Ryobi 18V multi-tool today, primarily because I needed longer battery life than Ridgid's little 12-volt batteries were giving me. I also liked the idea that I could use my Ridgid heads on the Ryobi model. I thought I'd provide a few A-B comparisons with the JobMax, if anyone is interested. The following figures are for the handle with multi-head.

Ridgid without battery 1 lb. 13 oz.
    Ryobi without battery 2 lb. 2 oz.
    Ridgid with battery 2 lb 4 oz.
    Ryobi with battery 3 lb. 15 oz.

The length of the Ridgid with battery is the same as the Ryobi without battery. The Ryobi's battery adds 2.25" to its length.

All 3 of my Ridgid heads lock easily and securely onto the Ryobi handle.
    The Ryobi's Dremel/Bosch adapter stores directly on the tool.
    The Ryobi tool comes with 2 blades, wrench, adapter, and the sanding attachment.
    No case – not even a cardboard box. Packaging is hard, molded plastic, as you would see with the packaging of a flashlight, etc.

My only "design" complaint is that the Ryobi battery doesn't rotate, as it does with their right-angle drill and their grinder. Having the battery's position fixed may create problems when flush cutting very close to a floor or other perpendicular surface, for example. The battery, by design, extends down to close to the level of the floor. I can see this as being an issue with other types of cuts too, but maybe I'm wrong. I suppose that I can always bend a deeper "L" into the blade if needed.

-Dan

Re: Comparison: JobMax and Ryobi Multi-tool

i know runtime will be better, but real curious how much more power it has over 12v. Cant believe RIDGID is going to let ryobi out muscle their tool. Given the choice how many men will take a 12v right angle driil over an 18 v? Assuming they have more than 2 holes to bore in joists? No contest. Too many 12v tools replacing or trumping a tool that should have 18v power.

Comment

I've had great luck using the 12V batteries for projects requiring intermittent power, such as drilling holes. Jobs that require continuous power, such as grout removal, become a big problem. The batteries seem to get hot and quit. I've had much better success with 18V batteries, on continuous power projects. I have a grout removal job this weekend, so I'll be able to give the tool a real test. I completely agree with you that manufacturers are trying to offer 12V tools in areas where 18 volts seem to make more sense. Sometimes a smaller, lighter-weight tool looks better on paper than on the job site. Having said all that, I still love my little Ridgid 12V drill !
      -Dan
      Last edited by AtlantaDan; 09-01-2011, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
        i know runtime will be better, but real curious how much more power it has over 12v. Cant believe RIDGID is going to let ryobi out muscle their tool. Given the choice how many men will take a 12v right angle driil over an 18 v? Assuming they have more than 2 holes to bore in joists? No contest. Too many 12v tools replacing or trumping a tool that should have 18v power.
        I don't think RIDGID has much to say about it, and if past performance is any indicatior they won't either.
        I believe TTI is driving this bus all the way to the bank on this one. And I have no doubt that the whole
        marketing strategy was coordinated between the two tool lines. Think about it. If the Ryobi tool had come
        out first then no one would have bought the RIDGID Tool, they would have bought only the heads.

So first out of the gate is the RIDGID 12V battery tool which everyone buys.
        Then the RIDGID accessory heads which everyone goes for too to complete their set.
        Then the RIDGID AC powered tool hits the streets, everyone bites again.
        And last but not least its time to upgrade to an Ryobi 18V battery tool, time to anti up again.

And to not make the RIDGID crowd feel slighted because they did not bring out an 18V battery tool first, they market it under the Ryobi label with full compatability with the RIDGID line.

These are the people who earn those $5 Mil bonuses...the guys who figure out how to get you to buy a tool three times.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 09-02-2011, 05:46 AM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob D. may be right. The "evolution" of the product lines seemed quick and structured. But I also think the Ryobi tool may find its biggest market among Ryobi's existing customer base, because other buyers are going to have to shell out another 90 bucks for a One+ lithium battery. That would put the total tool cost at over $160. If I were a Ridgid user with no Ryobi batteries in my bag, I definitely wouldn't have blown 70 bucks on the Ryobi tool.

Also, based on other threads here it appears that there are JobMax users who are happy with the performance they're getting, and won't be looking to buy yet another multi-tool. When it comes to funding corporate bonuses, I'm an even bigger idiot than Bob describes. I bought the Harbor Freight multi-tool, didn't like it, bought the Dremel Multi-Max, didn't like the cord, bought 2 of the JobMax multi's, didn't like the power, bought the Ryobi multi-tool . . . .

I'm the proud owner of 5 of these tools, and I have an uneasy feeling that it aint over.

Comment

What BobD said!

Comment

That's why we used to refer to those guys as "Marketeers".... it's right in there with "racketeers" and "privateers".

I have the 12-volt Ridgid... like the tool or at least the concept, but I hate that the batteries continually crap out on me and that I have to make sure that they have an absolutely full charge or they won't work at all. I sure wish they had come out with the corded tool first. As it stands now, I'd certainly can see where the corded version would be much preferred, but I've already spent all that I'm going to do on this tool regardless of the whether it's battery, corded, Ridgid or Ryobi.

Hey, how about a trade in plan!

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                I don't think RIDGID has much to say about it, and if past performance is any indicatior they won't either.
                I believe TTI is driving this bus all the way to the bank on this one. And I have no doubt that the whole
                marketing strategy was coordinated between the two tool lines. Think about it. If the Ryobi tool had come
                out first then no one would have bought the RIDGID Tool, they would have bought only the heads.

So first out of the gate is the RIDGID 12V battery tool which everyone buys.
                Then the RIDGID accessory heads which everyone goes for too to complete their set.
                Then the RIDGID AC powered tool hits the streets, everyone bites again.
                And last but not least its time to upgrade to an Ryobi 18V battery tool, time to anti up again.

And to not make the RIDGID crowd feel slighted because they did not bring out an 18V battery tool first, they market it under the Ryobi label with full compatability with the RIDGID line.

These are the people who earn those $5 Mil bonuses...the guys who figure out how to get you to buy a tool three times.

i agree, they are already on their third version of the 12 volt drill

Comment

Responding to Pesciwasp's earlier question about power -
                  I think your assumption is correct. I did a lot of grout removal this weekend, using the Ryobi multi-tool handle and the Ridgid multi-tool head. Run time was increased considerably, but I can't say that I detected any increase in power at all, compared to when I did these same jobs with the 12V Ridgid multi-tool. I think the power utilized by the heads is "fixed". They are what they are, seemingly independent of battery voltage. Of course, none of this is very scientific.
                  -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaDan View Post
                    I think your assumption is correct. I did a lot of grout removal this weekend, using the Ryobi multi-tool handle and the Ridgid multi-tool head. Run time was increased considerably, but I can't say that I detected any increase in power at all, compared to when I did these same jobs with the 12V Ridgid multi-tool. I think the power utilized by the heads is "fixed". They are what they are, seemingly independent of battery voltage. Of course, none of this is very scientific.
                    -Dan
                    guess someone has to do a scientific trial then

Comment

>>guess someone has to do a scientific trial then<<

Well if that means I would have to buy a clipboard, then count me out. I've already spent too much money.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaDan View Post
                        -Dan
                        Agreed that the power is fixed and based on the heads as the corded and cordless appear to be the same.

Comment

Working...
                        X