x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

Hi. This is my first post, but I was thinking some of you had misunderstood what the engineer (mattellis2) had said.

He is getting runout at the OUTSIDE of the CHUCK not the inside of the chuck, or at the bit just after it leaves the chuck, or 5 inches down. The rest of the post is mainly for him, as its things we have all experienced, just put into engineer type talk.

Hex bits tend to walk because of how they clip in, and their inner tolerances. Generally speaking because the bits walk on the inside, and they walk in the head of the screw, we all see bits walking when we set screws, which is why we adopt practices like holding the screw or pushing it into the wood first. In all reality all these points where the bits walk work like universal (u)-joints, which allow us to use the tools easily, which is why some of us may not have noticed runout at the chuck.

If all the tolerances were too tight, it would look like a bent drill bit, and the drill/driver would move in circles, as the screw set. So the loose tolerances make it easier, and can very easily hide runout in a chuck. Without the tolerances working in your favour a .015" runout would become .075 (a little more than 1/16) at the end of the screw (5 (2inch bit and 3 inch screw) x .015= .075")

Looking back on it I had a dewalt apart to service it one day, and if memory serves the chuck is run thru a lovejoy style coupling, minus the star in the inside (giving it the impact), which was just held in by the case. This would/could lead to similar runout at the chuck.

In my opinion the manufactures probably understand all this, and feel that some runout at the chuck is allowable as it can be compensated by a well experienced hand using the tool. Just the same over the next few days I will be checking my ridgid impact driver, and some of my brothers dewalt ones,

Also mattellis2 I think you SHOULD check the runout at the chuck of your newest impact, for the reasons stated above (not just the bit walked a bit), but I probably wouldn't be too worried about it.
    Lorne

Comment

Update: I checked my x3? (not the newest generation) impact driver. The knurrled end has play, however the actual shaft (when you pull the knurled end back - or just look in from the end) appears to run true. My dial indicator is not precise enough to get a reading from under the knurled end, however I assume all the play you're seeing is in the release mechanism when your testing it, and in the holder and bit when you're using it. And that play is totally normal and needed (otherwise if a bit warmed up it wouldn't come out),
      Lorne

Comment

Spectacular post JackDaniels with an excellent explanation, thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

Working...
        X