Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

    First post here. Need some help if anyone is in the know...

    I purchased an X4 impact driver kit last week as well as the 18v Li-On drill. I got the chance to use the impact this last weekend, and had a little difficulty starting screws because of the run out in the chuck. I was driving 3" deck screws on the end of a 2" bit. I tried several bits, thinking that was the problem, with similar results. I set up a dial indicator, and measured about 0.015" of runout on the knurled chuck of the impact. By comparison, the drill only has about 0.003" of runout. Do you happen to know what the spec is? For what it is worth, once the screw was started, the impact works amazingly well.

    I returned the impact to my local HD yesterday, thinking it was defective. I took it to the tools counter, popped my bit in, and showed them the wobble. They exchanged it for a new unit, no questions asked. When I got home last night, I opened the new impact, and it has similar runout. I didn't measure it with the dial indicator, but watching the bit track, it is obvious that it is not running true. Any help or direction you can give me would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,

    -matt

  • #2
    Re: x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

    I just checked mine and it's also running out a bit. At first I used a 1.5 inch length bit and about 3/8 is inside the collar so roughly 1 &1/4 sticking out. The run out looks to me to be about 5 thou. When I tried a 3 inch bit it looked out about 10 to 15 thou. I use my impact with sockets on bolts, lag screws etc so I never really noticed it before.

    Just speculation here but would an impact driver run as true as a regular drill? I would imagine the mechanism inside takes a pretty good beating so would it be normal to have more run-out on a tool like this?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

      Typical engineer over-complicating things for no reason.

      If you're having trouble starting a screw w/ an impact driver you might want to hire someone who has used tools before.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

        If you are worried about driving a screw perfectly straight, I would suggest pre-drilling the hole. Of course this is rediculous in most instances for most screws being applied, hence why they invented the impact driver.

        I do not have an X4 impact, I suppose that my opinion doesnt really matter, but if the wobble is an issue, get the bit holders that have the sleeves on them that cover the body of the screw. With one of those, you almost could use a bit bent 30-40*!


        I honestly do not use a bit or a bit holder longer than 2 inches. In most cases there is no need for having a bit that long, and they are more expensive to replace when they break.

        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

          I don't get it, its out by THOUSANDTHS of an inch... these are not precise expensive tools for building rockets, guess I don't see the problem. I think your over scrutinizing this tool....

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

            He is having problems w/ the tool so it must be the tool.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

              first, 0.015" at the chuck = much more wobble at the end of the bit+screw, 5" away. it is true that this is my first impact, but it is about my 4th set of cordless tools i have used/worn out. i've had two dewalts and a bosch. i bought this set because of the lifetime batteries...what has proven to be the downfall with all my previous kits. if my bosch's batteries hadn't given up, i would still be using it, even though it weighed 2x what the new generation li-on weighs.


              dlarrivee, i appreciate the stellar advice, kind words and abundant helpfulness you have added to this thread. engineer make you tear your crappy, sub-standard work out and do it again at some point?

              let me guess...you're a contractor that is constantly having his chops busted by the engineer of record on the job, because he doesn't want to have his name associated with your piss poor workmanship. that would explain the chip on your shoulder you seem to be toting around.
              Last edited by mattellis2; 09-11-2011, 10:44 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

                You got it all wrong.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

                  Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                  Typical engineer over-complicating things for no reason.

                  If you're having trouble starting a screw w/ an impact driver you might want to hire someone who has used tools before.
                  The guy asked for advice, don't see a need to insult the person just because he asked a question, engineer or not... and as for the "Typical Engineer" phrase, just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it is over complicating for no reason.

                  Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                  I don't get it, its out by THOUSANDTHS of an inch... these are not precise expensive tools for building rockets, guess I don't see the problem. I think your over scrutinizing this tool....
                  Actually the X-4 kit is more expensive then a comparable Dewalt set with included jigsaw. Having a machinist background and some engineering myself I tend to also notice the small stuff like mattellis2. Things tend to get worse as they get older and showing concern over runout while the tool is brand new is imo just factoring in the longevity of the tool. I agree though on the possibility of over scrutinizing the tool especially given the fact it's an impact driver but he is entitled to ask about what he has found.

                  Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                  He is having problems w/ the tool so it must be the tool.
                  Not sure why you are so argumentative and condescending towards this person. He's on here to ask if what he found is normal for this type of tool, if you don't have anything useful to add then why bother posting?

                  Originally posted by mattellis2 View Post
                  it is true that this is my first impact
                  Again his first impact tool. He wasn't sure about something so he asked.

                  Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                  You got it all wrong.
                  Exactly what did he get wrong?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

                    I have never had my "chops busted" by an engineer.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

                      Originally posted by mattellis2 View Post
                      first, 0.015" at the chuck = much more wobble at the end of the bit+screw, 5" away. it is true that this is my first impact, but it is about my 4th set of cordless tools i have used/worn out. i've had two dewalts and a bosch. i bought this set because of the lifetime batteries...what has proven to be the downfall with all my previous kits. if my bosch's batteries hadn't given up, i would still be using it, even though it weighed 2x what the new generation li-on weighs.

                      How do you know the bit is straight? What's the acceptable runout for this tool? BTW, with the thousands of screws I've screwed, I've never heard or seen arbor runout being an issue.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

                        Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        How do you know the bit is straight? What's the acceptable runout for this tool? BTW, with the thousands of screws I've screwed, I've never heard or seen arbor runout being an issue.
                        That was my first thought as well. I tried several bits and magnetic bit holders, all of which had never been used. That is why I decided to measure the chuck with the dial indicator.

                        I guess that is really my question, and why I started this thread.


                        -matt

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

                          I never notice runout at the end of a bit, it is covered by my hand with the screw I am going to be driving, then once the screw has been started, I dont pay attention to anything aside from when to let off the trigger. I do not run the impact without the tip of the screw touching the material I am trying to fasten, thus there is no wobbly end of the screw. With a good bit at the proper angle, you will never have a problem with a bit of runout. If you look at some of the screws as your are driving them, you will notice that they have built in runout themselves, they are bent slightly and have no issues going in.
                          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

                            I thought the same thing as I read dlarrivee's post, Supermanofsteel. Unfortunately, it seems to be common on this forum. Many disrespectful posts toward anyone that has even the slightest negativity towards Ridgid, LSA, or Ridgid tools. I have no idea why so many people get offended by this, but i sometimes wonder if these posters are actually Ridgid employees trying to scare off anyone that has a negative comment. That might be a little paranoid, but hey, I call it like I see it. You should see the flames people get for getting upset when their LSA doesn't come through properly, which is quite ridiculous considering it is a bit shady. I personally sent in receipts and barcodes, took pictures of them before they went out, and sent them certified mail. Its been almost 3 months, I've called 3 times and still no LSA, but they say its coming. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, either that or they're going back, but Ridgid obviously wants to screw as many people out of the LSA as possible. Sigh, sorry for highjacking thread with that rant, been reading a lot of posts over the past year and this is my first response.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: x4 impact driver chuck run-out?

                              Originally posted by mattellis2 View Post
                              First post here. Need some help if anyone is in the know...

                              I purchased an X4 impact driver kit last week as well as the 18v Li-On drill. I got the chance to use the impact this last weekend, and had a little difficulty starting screws because of the run out in the chuck. I was driving 3" deck screws on the end of a 2" bit. I tried several bits, thinking that was the problem, with similar results. I set up a dial indicator, and measured about 0.015" of runout on the knurled chuck of the impact. By comparison, the drill only has about 0.003" of runout. Do you happen to know what the spec is? For what it is worth, once the screw was started, the impact works amazingly well.

                              I returned the impact to my local HD yesterday, thinking it was defective. I took it to the tools counter, popped my bit in, and showed them the wobble. They exchanged it for a new unit, no questions asked. When I got home last night, I opened the new impact, and it has similar runout. I didn't measure it with the dial indicator, but watching the bit track, it is obvious that it is not running true. Any help or direction you can give me would be much appreciated.

                              Thanks,

                              -matt
                              I grabbed my old dual voltage (18/24) impact, jammed in a bit and wiggled it around. There was a little slop to it as might be expected from a tool which has had a zillion screws driven by it. I didn't bother looking at one of our newer impacts as I am confident that precision tightness of an impact "chuck" is not an issue. As one can see from a cursory inspection, there is no tightening mechanism for the chuck. When you lift the collar and push the bit in place and then release the collar that is what holds the bit seated into the chuck. Impacts operate in such a manner that precise tightness of the chuck is not necessary.
                              If you are having problems starting a screw I suggest checking the following.....
                              1-Confirm you are using the correct size bit for the screws being used. A #2 screw requires a #2 bit to drive it properly.
                              2-Use bits that are in good shape and high quality. Cheap bits get worn very quickly and won't "seat" properly in the screw head. I don't want to pick on any mfgr., however if memory serves some Black and Decker bits I had were very poor and didn't last long while Bosch and Milwaukee were very good.
                              3-I suggest star drive bits. Star drive bits are far superior to philips and square for driving screws. The screw seats into the bit and won't wobble during starting of the screw. We get much greater longevity before the bit becomes worn out.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X