Having a couple issues with MS1250LZ Compound miter saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a couple issues with MS1250LZ Compound miter saw

Ok so I bought this a couple months from someone, he had just replaced the brushes he said. The problem I'm having is that the saw seems to be pretty weak and sometimes it'll smoke out of the rear motor cover. I also noticed that the covers for the brushes seem to be loose and today after using it a bit they just don't want to stay in at all. I'm not sure if it's the covers thread is messed up or if it's the sockets they go into. Any help would be appreciated on how you think I could remedy this problem? Or maybe some other things I should check?

Re: Having a couple issues with MS1250LZ Compound miter saw

Well I pulled the motor cover off and took a look. The brushes are shattered, pieces all over. Do you think they could of been cheap brushes or something? Also the covers I don't think are the OEM ones, and I don't think they are the right size at all. The threads on one side of the machine are a little funky but nothing that would of made it that loose. I'm pretty sure the guy replaced them and they are the wrong ones. Do you think them being loose and not holding the brushes all the way in could of been the cause of the brushes shattering?

Comment

In a word... YES! If you don't get proper contact the motor is simply not going to function well, if at all and if they are not properly fitted, then the brushes are like being held against a grinder and will in all likelyhood, chip.

What I don't comprehend is why someone would change the brushes and NOT replace them with the proper OEM part. Just seems like the original owner didn't want to bother with a proper order (time perhaps?) or the expense. Too bad he was then dishonest enough to stick you with unit.

My concern at this point would be whether there is any damage caused by the ill-fitted brushes. You can certainly order the proper brushes and whatever associated parts may be necessary, such as new holders and caps. Hopefully the thread on the motor housing hasn't been damaged, by cramming these 3rd-party brushes into place.

If you have a nearby authorized service center, perhaps they can help; but, I'm sure you'd have to cough-up a service fee, as I believe any warranty is probably not transferable.

Sorry this isn't more helpful,

CWS

Comment

If there isn't an authorized service center near you, you can order any parts you might need from eReplacement Parts.
        ================================================== ====
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

If the plastic in the housing has not melted or distorted, pull the saw apart, clean the armature of any old brush debris, inspect bearings, new brushes, get back to work!
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Thanks for all your replies! I didn't realize I had any figured they would email me if there was a post haha.

Anyways I did get new brushes and it has the same number on the front of the brush as the old ones, but the springs on the new ones are quite a bit longer.

I could not find anyone with the covers in stock at all. They are backordered and no one knows when they will be in if ever.

On that note I put the new brushes in and figured out a way to make the covers stay in a bit better, it's still getting really hot though. And it seems as if the plastic around the brush holder is melting a bit? Unfortunately I'm not sure this thing is going to make it much longer without a new motor and dumping 300 into a new motor for this old saw is not worth it. Luckily I only spent about 40 bucks on it, but still I was hoping it would last me through this project.

Comment

Working...
            X