X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Cordless Power Tools - Help Needed

I have three old cordless power tools that I would like get back in working order again. They are mechanically perfect, but for the power source, and here is the problem. Because of the age of these tools, batteries do not seem available anymore.

The three tools that I'm referring to are:
    Black & Decker Cordless Screwdriver Plus (Model 9019)
    Black & Decker Cordless Power Ratchet (Model 9050)
    Skil Cordless Power Wench (Model 2238)

The batteries for all of them are the same. They are 3.6 volt, made up with three (what I call cells) connected containers. Because both brands have the same number of cells in size and shape, it would seem to be a common power source for that era. They measure about 7/8ths" in diameter and 1 1/4" in length.

So, what I need to do is try to find a battery source that I can adapt to fit inside their casting. I am hoping that there may be somebody that has come across this same problem and has done something along these lines or some direction to some web sites that might have some insight on how to go about restoring older cordless power tools to make them operational again.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidence.

Ron

Re: Vintage Cordless Power Tools - Help Needed

Who are the batteries made by? NOT by any of those companies for sure.
    Might be Panasonic or one of the other manufacturers.
    Got a photo that shows part number(s) or manufacturers codes? Post it.
    I can look through some catalogs at work and see if I can up with a replacement.

Is you B&D Cordless Screwdriver a 9019-48 and what Type is it?

If this your battery??
    http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ima...051-00_med.gif
    Last edited by Bob D.; 09-11-2011, 07:18 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks, Bob. Unfortunately, there are little markings.

These are the ones from the two Black & Decker tools;

Click image for larger version

Name:	d4248d6c7f44b5713ebbcaba6a03e155.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	15430

Name:	def212cea1fd3f7b398332bf6be7e1fd.jpg
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	15429

The only markings are on the one not wrapped; 450605-00-8828 and stamped "Japan"

These are the one for the Skil tool;

Name:	08a8cddf08b3382d92dbc09402bb3bcf.jpg
Size:	477.2 KB
ID:	15431 Click image for larger version

Name:	0020627f05ae8e16fa43c929ff1c87a0.jpg
Size:	469.7 KB
ID:	15432 Click image for larger version

Name:	491a3d866ed38ecb3f3a9446f7686805.jpg
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	15433

The same is pretty much the same with this one. Nothing at all stamped on the cylinders, only "ASM IN MEXICO" with a "V1" at the end of the wrapper.

Sure not much to go on as far as manufacture.

Ron

Edit:
      The batteries shown for the Black & Decker are from the Power Ratchet. As Far as the Screwdriver Plus, I hadn't taken that apart until now and see that there are some additional marking on these cells. They are: P\N 330038-01-9041. The first six numbers are a little blurry but I think that's what they are. And as near as I can tell, the screwdriver is Model 9019-48 Type 2.

Ron

Last edited by lreops; 09-11-2011, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Not trying to be rude but throw those underpowered out dated peices of junk in the recycling and go buy a 18 volt nikel cadium cordless kit "if your tight for money" or splurge and by a lithium kit. Black and Decker or skill cordless tools haven't been at the top of there game ever....in cordless technology .. just my opinion toil waste more time and money trying to find those outdated batterys than the tools are worth.

Comment

They look like sub C cells NICD cells, common to cordless battery packs and RC car battery packs. You can buy individual cells for around $5 each depending on chemistry and ampacity.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
            Not trying to be rude but throw those underpowered out dated peices of junk in the recycling and go buy a 18 volt nikel cadium cordless kit "if your tight for money" or splurge and by a lithium kit. Black and Decker or skill cordless tools haven't been at the top of there game ever....in cordless technology .. just my opinion toil waste more time and money trying to find those outdated batterys than the tools are worth.
            Being rude or not is ok with me. I am interested in restoring these for other reasons. I have just about all of the newer cordless power tools out there and I, maybe being a little older than you, appreciate all tools in general. These particular tools had served me very well in the past and there is still a place for them in today's world, or at least in my world. Yes, they may be junk in your eyes, but they are handy little tools, that for their size, were and are powerful enough to do many smaller tasks. Plus, they are part of the history of the first generation of cordless tools.

I wasn't brought up in the "disposable" world that many of you are a part of now a days. I like to hang on to things and fix them when needed instead of throwing them away and buying newer ones. Especially older items that were made with better materials and craftsmanship than what is made today.

And that's where I'm at with all of this, so please humor me with any helpful advice that you may have.

Ron

Comment

Go to a place that rebuilds batteries such as "batteries are us" or "batteries batteries batteries"
              Those nicad cells you show are not uncommon.
              You should find a place locally. They should be able to easily rebuild your nicad packs.

Since the "older" tool uses nicads stay with them or you'll have other issues when using the
              original battery charger.

If you desire to rebuild them yourself then be aware there are some things you must keep in
              mind.
              1. do not solder the batteries..the proper was is spot welding [that's what the pros do]
              2. most nicad packs have temperature sensors place them properly

good luck

Cactus Man

Comment

I can't tell the size by the picture (sorry I missed it, if you did mention the size). Are they close to "C" or "D" size cells? If so, you can just match the size with whatever is currently available on the market. All rechargeable cells, regardless of size (cylindrical type cells) are 1.2 volts, which is the closest equivalent to the common, non-rechargeable 1.5-volt cells. I think if you took apart a new battery pack, you would see the same type of cylindrical cells being used in whatever size (AAA, AA, C, or D) that the manufacturer decided to use. (The same is true of those big block 6-volt lantern batteries.... if you took one apart, it would be full of AA cells, all interconnected together.) There are some rare exceptions of course, but generally it is these "cylindricals" that make up the majority of battery forms.

The only difference might be in the "chemistry"... (NiCad, NiMh, or Li-Ion) and because these are "vintage" then they are most likely to be NiCad. Basically, you could upgrade your old vintage tools to new Li-Ion technology, but of course that would require a modern charger, as the old chargers are very specific to the the battery chemistry.

So basically, you can just go buy that battery from almost any source and it would be okay. The challenge of course is the soldering of the the strap or whatever connecting device they are employing. Most electronic supply stores sell shrink wrap that you could use to encase the battery-pak makeup or you could just wrap them in heavy paper/card stock as the originals were. The electronics store might also advise you on soldering of batteries. I've never done that, so don't know if there are any particular concerns in that regard.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I have bought from this place in the past and had good service and the product was good,
                  All-Battery.com: Total Power Solution for Every Battery Need I will guess this will be the page you will need, All-Battery.com - Rechargeable batteries & Chargers - Ni-CD Batteries
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

First off, I want to thank everyone for the links supplied. Unless I'm missing something, I haven't found anything that looks close to what i need.

Again the measurements for each cell are; 7/8" (22MM) X 1 1/4" (33MM). Smaller than a "C", as they are 1" (25MM) X 1 7/8" (48MM).

I am also not sure of what amp hour to look for as nothing that I've found to look at gives any indication, other than 3.6 volt.

I know that there must be something out there, just the matter of finding it.

Ron

Edit:
                    Thanks to BHD, I re examined a site he suggested and found what may be the answer;

http://www.all-battery.com/nicd45sub...ryflattop.aspx

I need nine but think I will just start with three and see how it goes. But in the mean time, if anyone else can offer any suggestions, please add them.

Again, Ron

Last edited by lreops; 09-13-2011, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Your best bet is a RC Hobby Store. They can cross reference just about any batter out there. I did a Google search for your area and came up with these three stores. I would start here.

Extreme Rc Hobbies - 2 Google reviews
                      www.xtremerchobby.com - 35 Friendly Drive, Quarryville, PA - (717) 284-0164

Middle River Hobbies

- 4 Google reviews
                      www.middleriverhobbies.com - 136 Carroll Island Road, Middle River - (410) 335-0707

XRC Raceway

- Place page
                      www.xrcraceway.com - 35 Friendly Drive, Quarryville, PA - (410) 658-6286

Comment

Try Batteries Plus. Their website is Batteries Plus battery store - All your battery needs for Laptop, camera, cell phone, camcorder, SLA, batteries recycling and much more . Also, MTO is really good as well, MTO Battery A Division Of Battery Builders . I've personally used batteries plus and the rebuilt batteries are much better than new ones, hold a charge for a lot longer than when new.

Comment

An update and conclusion to my attempt to re-power some old cordless tools.

First, I would like to thank all those that offered their assistance and got me pointed in the right direction.

I am pleased to say that I have had a 100% success with the battery replacement, but only an overall 90% on tool functionality.

The first is one of my most used. For its size, amazing power and torque. 100% functional:

Name:	7a85f5d866f6f3cb6954c4a298694c29.jpg
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	15554

The second is the ¼" ratchet, handy for little stuff around the shop. Again, surprisingly powerful with good torque. 100% functional:

Name:	eb836c1e0b59b22e458c5fbe54e6649d.jpg
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	15555Click image for larger version

Name:	f3e458e67ae95e0da797dfaa2d873a64.jpg
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	15556

And lastly, the 3/8" ratchet. Only 70% functioning. Plenty of power but there is a problem within the switch as it will only power or ratchet "ON". It will switch to "OFF" and able to use manually, but no power. Does not look to good to find a/the replacement switch. So, I'll just have to make sure that I am only putting nuts on and not off.

Name:	d5377447de91ea45951dd1f27ebe03ec.jpg
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	15557Click image for larger version

Name:	5dd4778c2d7c2bdeaf68b9b284d11a21.jpg
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	15558

So, all in all, I am rather pleased with the outcome. A real good feeling to put some older tools back to work.

Oh, one more thing. If you attempt to revive any older multi-cell tools, make sure you get your batteries with the "Tabs". Makes soldering them together a snap.

Ron

Last edited by lreops; 10-13-2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X