X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a stuck bit in a 1/4 hex coupler screwdriver...please help

HI DOES any one have any ideas HOW to REMOVE a bit from a R81030-- 1/4 HEX COUPLER SCREWDRIVER GUN? IM NOT sure if my warrenty status. i await any ideas. thank you.

Re: I have a stuck bit in a 1/4 hex coupler screwdriver...please help

I assume you've pulled the collet forward before trying to remove any bit.

J.C.

Comment

Vise Grips and a hammer.

Comment

Not sure how to help you out but I'm curious as to how you got it stuck in there to begin with? I'm assuming that the base of the bit somehow flared out and won't let the release mechanism work properly. Must have been a really cheaply made bit.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Ive had bits stick in collets in my impact guns before, was not fun to get out.

What you need;
          You and a buddy and a VICE.
          Vice Grips, channel locks, hammer
          What I've done:
          Tool in the vice, vice grips on the bit, channel locks just before the sliding collar, hammer on the channel lock while pulling on vice grips.
          alternate method, push collar back, lock inside of collet with vice grips, use a 1/4" socket to back the bit off, go back and forth.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Try using the driver in reverse to back out a screw or bolt and then try removing the bit again. Sometimes this helps loosen them.

Comment

Man, I love that tool!

As previously mentioned by J.C., Badger Dave, and Rambo:

Some brands have the collar pull "back" to release the bit, but on the 81030 (and I think most others), the collar pulls "forward". If you haven't used the tool in awhile, I can see where you might make that mistake.

But, if the bit has somehow been forced by excessive torque to round over (and poorly made bit, I think) and wedge itself into the holder, I can see where you'd also have the problem. In this case, I'd adjust the clutch to past the " 14" mark and into it's NON-clutched position and then place the tool into it's reverse position and see if you can break loose the bit in that manner.

I hope this helps and good luck,

CWS

Comment

this has worked several times on my ridgid 14.4 volt impact driver, and it's simple:

put the driver in reverse. pull the collar forward to the "release" position. while the collar is held in the release position, have a helper grasp whatever is stuck in the quick release coupler with a vice grips and exert force to withdraw the stuck bit from the quick coupler while the driver is operated in the reverse direction. works every time.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  Not sure how to help you out but I'm curious as to how you got it stuck in there to begin with? I'm assuming that the base of the bit somehow flared out and won't let the release mechanism work properly. Must have been a really cheaply made bit.
                  THANKS BadgerDave, actually i had a drill bit with a 1/4" hex tail on it and i was drilling into would, BAD IDEA IN HINDSIGHT. like they say hindsight is 20/20. i "know"next time to use a for real drill motor then screw it it with my gun. i was in a hurry with my brain in neutral. i will try theother ideas on this post. THANKS TO ALL THE POSTERS. mike

Comment

yes sir to no avail.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeh0128 View Post
                      THANKS BadgerDave, actually i had a drill bit with a 1/4" hex tail on it and i was drilling into would, BAD IDEA IN HINDSIGHT. like they say hindsight is 20/20. i "know"next time to use a for real drill motor then screw it it with my gun. i was in a hurry with my brain in neutral. i will try theother ideas on this post. THANKS TO ALL THE POSTERS. mike

I do this on a regular basis when I do not feel the need to have an impact driver and drill in my nailbags. I have only had bits jam when I really am torquing on something. It must have been your lucky day, can I rub your head next time for good luck?
                      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                      X