X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old tools, new batteries

Looking at buying a new tool and battery set. Before I do wondering if someone can confirm that the new X4 LI batteries would work with my older tools. The ones I have came with the 2.5ah NiCd's. If they do all work on the tools interchangeably, pretty sure that the Li's must use the newer charger, but will the new charger charge the NiCd's too? Will the new tools work with the old batteries? I guess wondering if someone who knows can confirm the compatability of the different series batteries, tools and chargers.

thanks

Re: Old tools, new batteries

Yes, new batteries will work on the old tools. New charger must be used for the Li batteries, and it will charge the old ones as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
      Yes, new batteries will work on the old tools. New charger must be used for the Li batteries, and it will charge the old ones as well.
      I thought we could charge the lithium ions on the older nicad charger?

Comment

Frankiarmz, we have been through this many times....

The original dual charger should NOT be used for lithium ion batteries!
        There are now 4 generations of the single charger.
        The first generation single should not be used to charge lithium ion batteries

Any charger that has the words "multi-chemical" or "Li-ion" are OK to charge ANY Ridgid battery.

Using the wrong charger with the lithium ion batteries is at your own risk and if the batteries fail
        they may not be exchanged by the lifetime agreement or 3 year warranty.

All 18V batteries being Ni-cads or first run lithium-ion or the newest third generation X4
        lithium-ion batteries will work with ALL Ridgid 18V power tools and for that matter even the dual voltage
        power tools 18V/24V.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
          Frankiarmz, we have been through this many times....

The original dual charger should NOT be used for lithium ion batteries!
          I tried it once, the charger simply refused to do anything. It would try to do somethng for a brief second, then shut off, try again, same result.

Bearcat: The chargers are the least of your worries as far as pricing is concerned on the batteries, they come cheap, especially the earlier LI-ion chargers. Ebay has your best deals on them. There is no Lifetime Service agreement available on stuff bought on Ebay, or batteries not purchased with a kit.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

BTW, HD is running a promo, buy select 18v tools and get a battery free! I am tempted to buy a new 18v impact since I moded my maxselect one with the 1/2" anvil...

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
              BTW, HD is running a promo, buy select 18v tools and get a battery free! I am tempted to buy a new 18v impact since I moded my maxselect one with the 1/2" anvil...
              You will get the small battery, not the big one. Is the promotion a mail in rebate? Buy the tool, order the battery, return said tool?

Comment

If you buy the hammer drill or 5 pc kit you get the big battery, other tools get you the compact battery. No mail in, you get that battery there in the store instantly.

Comment

I have the same issue-kinda. I have an old Li-ion charger but new Hyper 18 volt batteries, and I worry the old charger (three years old) will not perform or shorten the new battery life. One charger says Li-ion and the other say muliti-chemistry (?). That is confusing even to an electronics buff like me. My experience tells me its ok, but there are no tech answers to quiet my doubts. Any opinions???

Comment

Originally posted by prbro View Post
                    I have the same issue-kinda. I have an old Li-ion charger but new Hyper 18 volt batteries, and I worry the old charger (three years old) will not perform or shorten the new battery life. One charger says Li-ion and the other say muliti-chemistry (?). That is confusing even to an electronics buff like me. My experience tells me its ok, but there are no tech answers to quiet my doubts. Any opinions???
                    It will work just fine. Iv'e used old chargers on new batteries, no problems so far.

Comment

Multicemestry means it can charge the old nicad batteries as well as the new l-ion

Comment

In general with Li-ion batteries is to BE SURE that the charger will work. I use a lot of Li-ion cells for hobby use and have heard of people starting fires using the wrong charger, not to mention trashing a new battery. For me, it's not worth taking a chance, I'd wrather do a little research or asking before trashing a battery/charger at minimum or worse catching garage on fire.

Comment

Hobby grade LI-ion batteries do not have on board circuitry built into them as 18v cordless tool batteries do. Not sure if the small 12V batteries do or not, never seen inside of one. If it says Li-ion on the charger, use it.

Comment

Working...
                          X