X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disappointed with service

I have one of the "Pro" 16 Gallon wet dry vacs.

I set the top part down roughly and the threaded piece that holds the filter on the filter basket broke off.

No problem, my fault, I will just order a new one. $5.50 for the part, $7.50 "shipping and handling"

Exactly a month after making the order, I finally got it.

Problem is it is a new style part - "quick attach" despite the fact I ordered the old style. The new one will not work with any of my stock of filters (about 8 of them at 15 bucks a pop from home depot).

I called customer service they said, sorry there is nothing they can do. It is not like I am talkig about an old vac here, it is maybe just over a year old.

I knew all this lifetime warranty taking time to register your tools, having a little card with a customer number on it, etc, wouldn't mean anything when I really needed it.

Re: disappointed with service

Get the slip on, cleanable filter and never look back. I haven't used the filter nut on mine for 2 years and have only purchased 2 filters in that time. They last for a long time and clean easily. They're expensive, 40 bucks, but well worth it.

Sorry about the issue you have had. Where did you get the part. BTW, the lifetime service agreement only covers manufactural defects. It's not to good to be true, it works as designed, as I haven't had issues getting items repaired that failed, parts I broke I have paid for without complaint. Why will the new part(design) not work?

Comment

Ordered the part from ridgid web site.

The old filters will not work with the latest filter cage which is all they have now (like I said, about 1.5 years after buying the vac). The old filters work with the nut and threaded plastic piece at the bottom of the filter cage. The new filter cage has a new piece at the bottom designed to work with newer filters (Qwik Lock).

Comment

Working from memory, it seems to me that the threaded stud that broke off is an extrusion off the top of the filter cage. If so, I think I would attempt to remove the remaining piece, and drill a hole in the top of the cage and install a bolt to hold the filter in place.

Regaring your comment on registration, etc.: You should know the shop vacs are NOT eligible for the LLSA and no registration is accepted or required. The LLSA is offered by TTI who manufactures the hand-held and stationary power tools. It uses the "Ridgid" brand name under license from Emerson Electric, "Ridgid's parent company. The shop vac products are made by a division of Emerson, and is covered by Emerson's "Lifetime Warranty" which is for "defects in material and workmanship".

BTW, that "LIfetime Warranty" only covers the vacs up to the point where the motor brushes wear out. According to past posts on this site, the brushes are not replaceable and Emerson figures that at that point the "life" of the vac is over.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Cws I appreciate your response.

If I use a bolt and nut to hold my filters on will ridgid send my money back for the new filter cage I ordered? They didn't even tell me it they were sending something I didn't order.

I don't know all the terms you used for the warranties... But your right, the card i had is from other tools perhaps... Coming from dewalt/porter cable I suppose I never had to deal with the details. They always stocked parts I needed.

Comment

Pete, the new cage they sent, does it not upgrade it to the new design, meaning its an "upgrade" and now would accept the quick lock filters? If so, the only downside would be your old filter is worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by petemarkey View Post
              Cws I appreciate your response.

If I use a bolt and nut to hold my filters on will ridgid send my money back for the new filter cage I ordered? They didn't even tell me it they were sending something I didn't order.

I don't know all the terms you used for the warranties... But your right, the card i had is from other tools perhaps... Coming from dewalt/porter cable I suppose I never had to deal with the details. They always stocked parts I needed.

You'll have to discuss that with Ridgid of course! But, I think if you explain to them EXACTLY what your expectations were and that you have a good supply of the old filters, then hopefully they will work something out. However, it's only $5.50 and I doubt that they will be able to refund the shipping and handling. I do think that they should have given you a "heads up" on the fact that there was a change in parts. Basically, you ordered something that you didn't get.

I just now took a look at my 2003 Ridgid WD12450 (12 gallon) vac and I see the cage has a pretty hefty boss that is the base for the threaded stud. If the "stud" portion broke off of mine, I can see that it wouldn't take too much effort to file or grind it flush to the boss and then drill in thru to mount a bolt with which to attach the old style filter and with the required cap. My understanding is that the new style filters have an integral cap that would just slip over and snug on the stud.

The question I have though is whether the new cage has a stud (albeit unthreaded) and if so, won't the old filters just set over that and perhaps use some kind of clip or other retainer to hold them in place?

EDIT: I just remembered that I have a new style filter on my small Ridgid Vad (6-gallon I think). On examining it, I see that the cage is fitted with what appears to be a white ball-like stud which the newer filter's flexible end simply slips over. I would think it would be quite easy to simply enlarge the hole in the old filters separate cap so it would fit over this newer designed stud. You'd then have to come up with some kind of retaining clip or rubber grommit to then hold the old filter design in place. That shouldn't be too challenging to come up with something of that sort.

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 09-21-2011, 11:34 AM. Reason: Old filter mounting comment

Comment

I'm with cw, maybe take some pictures and post them.

Comment

Working...
                X